Greet One Another

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 16:1-16, John 13:16, 1 Peter 5:14

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Romans 16:1-16, John 13:16, 1 Peter 5:14

Of all of the roles I’ve had in my life, my least favorite, without a doubt, is “new girl.”

She’s clumsy and uncertain, always draining her phone battery with GPS directions to the grocery store and back home again. With brave intentions and shy tendencies, she’s perfected the art of introducing herself, yet allows her next-door neighbor to call her the wrong name yet again. She doesn’t know when trash pickup is or where to find the office break room. And her best friend, states away, knows she’s always on call for both late night and early morning pep talks.

I’ve been the new girl enough times to know what makes her feel welcome. Paul has a pretty good idea, too. After all, he could have easily ended the book of Romans with chapter 15, one of the biggest mic-drop opportunities of all time. Instead, he reintroduces us to the gift God gave us in each other.

After “amen,” Paul continues on with a crucial reminder: we are not alone. He introduces us to his friends by name, explaining their significance and telling us why we’ll love them.

Phoebe, whom Paul reminds us is already our sister, is on her way to Rome (and may be the one carrying his letter!). He encourages us to befriend her and take care of her during her stay. Priscilla and Aquila, more dear friends, put themselves on the line for our buddy Paul. So, of course, we’re honored to greet them and their church. The list goes on and on, and as it grows, Paul continues to build up God’s people with encouragement, delivering each name as a lifeline to the full body.

In this intimate portrait of Paul and his fellow believers, we see a lasting truth: The body of Christ is a built-in reminder that redemption is an extraordinary reality for everyday people.

It’s easy to misread the Bible as “The Book of People Who Had It All Together,” when really, there’s only one Hero in this story. The simple truth is that we all need Jesus, and we all need each other.

In Romans, Paul emphasizes that God’s plan is good news. But his writing isn’t just for well-versed theologians—it’s for ordinary, faithful people living in small, unseen obedience. It’s for us. If you are in Christ, your name is written there among the greatness and glory of God’s plan.

Here in our temporary home, we never stop being the new girl who needs to relearn grace and remember truth. But praise the Lord—we don’t have to do it alone.

Greetings, friends. And peace be to all of you who are in Christ Jesus (1 Peter 5:14).

SRT-ROMANS-instagram39

48 thoughts on "Greet One Another"

1. ssbbaker says:

I’m about to be the new girl again.. and I’m terrified. I have this idea in the back of my mind that I can only grow in the Lord if I’m challenged, so I’m constantly the new girl. But then instead of leaning on Him like I should, I just wind up sad and lonely. I don’t know how to fix this. I feel like this new season I’m about to step into is so God-given, but as a very social person, I feel like I know the sad feelings awaiting me and I’m dreading them.
    But our Lord is faithful. He will strengthen me and help me. Praying that we all would recognize this and lean into the hard times today, expecting that our God will show up.

1. D says:

Hey, how are you settling in so far? I am the new girl as well currently and I find that what works for me is that I start my day with the bible daily, learning to lean in and press on to God, trusting in His plan for me. Finding a church and a community to plug into ASAP is great as well. Wishing you all the best and sending prayers for you

2. Chris says:

Virtual hugs and greeting kiss from Southeastern Oklahoma!!

3. KimN says:

I wonder what Paul would think of this community! To connect with his friends and fellow believers via letter took weeks if not months. And look at us now! Believers all around the world joining together to worship, praise and glorify God. To encourage, pray and lift each other up. To ever increasingly know the One who rescued us. All on the same day! Amazing!
    So my dear friends of the SRT community, I lift a special prayer for all of you, in thanksgiving and petition that the Lord would bless you here and in your corner of His awesome plan!!!!!

1. Kaitlin Wernet says:

YES. Totally agree with you, Kim. Thanking God for the beauty of this community today. xoxo

4. Diane Huntsman says:

Perhaps we need to lift our eyes from our phones and our own lives to look beyond ourselves and see who needs to be greeted.. who can we befriend today that needs to know they matter? Who needs to be hugged and spoken words of life into their parched souls? I know I’m not on the look out near enough because I’m usually to self focused to be looking.. painful seasons can accidentally turn into consumption with self seasons.. I’m first to admit that.. but our sufferings are meant to drive us to Jesus to find what we need in Him so that we could in turn be that comfort to the other girl that suffers pointing her to her very present help in time of need aka Jesus.. my eyes are open today to the one I need to greet. You too? xo

1. Sabrina Klomp says:

Yes! Thank you for sharing this. It’s been on my heart this morning too!

5. Cynthia says:

SRT ladies, please forgive me for the comment I posted yesterday regarding community. I did not mean to sound condemning at all. I love this community and would never wish to hurt anyone with my words. You all encourage me every day. Thank you!

1. Michelle says:

I don’t remember what those words were Cynthia, they are forgotten…..have a blessed day sister.

1. Cynthia says:

Thank you. Hope your day is blessed as well.

6. Kristeen says:

This is exactly where I’m at right now. I’ve been the new girl many times the last few years whether it be new to church or job or ministry, etc. But now we’ve moved to a whole new state, knowing no one, and staying home with two toddlers (so I don’t have that workplace environment where I can meet people). I’m struggling a lot more than I thought I would with being new. I loved the part about embracing grace and holding onto the truth. This is a theme God has kept throwing at me lately!

1. Cate says:

I am right there with you! Stay at home Mama to two toddlers..just moved to a new city. It’s definitely out of my comfort zone! Praying for you and me to both find a few friends. I’m joining MOPS in the Fall, so crossed fingers! <3

2. CC says:

I’m about to be in your position also (minus the kiddos), as my husband and I move states! I’ll be praying for community for both of us (and you too Cate!) and for patience as we wait, knowing that God’s grace sustains us and that we are not alone!

7. Emily says:

Prayers please? I’m starting my own business!

8. Gerda M. says:

Holy Kiss from a new girl from the Netherlands. I love the way of explaining this Roman passage of today. It’s an Eye opener which I may share in our Bible circle. Thank you for such an amazing insight. God bless you all.