The Depth of God’s Wisdom

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 11:25-36, Isaiah 40:13-15, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Romans 11:25-36, Isaiah 40:13-15, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11

Perhaps you’ve heard the not-so-fairy-tale-like stories of the children of Israel. Like the one where God rescued them from slavery, and they responded by grumbling about the flavors missing from their menu (Numbers 11). Or the one where they got impatient with Moses as he met with God on Mt. Sinai, so they decided to worship a golden calf (Exodus 32). Or the time when they came to the border of the promised land and listened to their knees knocking and hearts racing, instead of listening to the voice of God (Numbers 13).

When we flip forward in our Bibles to the New Testament, we find God’s people still stuck in the ruts of rejection and rebellion. It was, after all, the Jewish leaders who led the charge to have Jesus arrested, tried, convicted, and crucified (Matthew 26:3-5). After the resurrection, they remained resolute in their opposition of Jesus, doing everything in their power to squelch the message of the Church.

Yet here in Romans 11, Paul reminds us that despite their chronic grumbling and wilderness wandering, despite their golden calf worshipping and Savior scourging, the Jewish people remain God’s “beloved” (v. 28).

Our human logic may balk at this, but Paul warns against trusting only what makes sense to our brains (Romans 11:25). Try as we might, we cannot understand God’s love using our flawed standards for love and acceptance. Chapter after chapter, verse after verse, the story of God’s commitment to His chosen people doesn’t make sense. Human understanding leaves us wondering, Why did God choose them? But through the lens of the gospel, the story of the Jews suddenly makes sense. Look at Deuteronomy 7:6-8.

“For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth” (v. 6).

Lean in. Listen closely to this next part.

“It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all the peoples, but it is because the LORD loves you and is keeping the oath he swore to your fathers. . .” (vv. 7-8).

God knew His beloved were weak and frail—incapable of keeping their side of the covenant. Still He chose them, loves them, and keeps His promises to them.

The Bible is not the story of a wayward people but of a faithful God.

In the shadow of the cross, we are God’s chosen people. Because of the gospel, our identity has been changed from “not my people” to “my people” (Romans 9:25). Christ’s sacrifice made a way for us to be among the “beloved.” The gifts God has lavished upon us are so extravagant, and we are so undeserving, that we sometimes worry He’ll take them back. But “God’s gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable” (Romans 11:29).

The depth of God’s wisdom is matched only by the depth of His love. He has promised unfathomable gifts to us and He will never snatch them back. If every one of God’s acts of love and faithfulness toward the Jewish people could be contained, they’d overflow the seas. We, too, can stand on the shore and see the unmistakable faithfulness of God.

We are weak.

We are wayward.

And yet, the Prince and the kingdom are irrevocably ours.

SRT-ROMANS-instagram29

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

55 thoughts on "The Depth of God’s Wisdom"

1. Bek says:

Oh this was a powerful reading. Thank you. His love is incredible!

2. BennyB says:

Amen!! As we are children and beloved of God all the promises to ancient Israel apply to us!

3. Ashley says:

Love this, my church has been moved to start praying for Israel before every service. We have not replaced them, we are grafted in!

1. Lori Wat says:

I love that your churches does this!

4. K says:

I am trying to figure out the connection between the Corinthians passage and the other verses. Is it meant to highlight the way that gifts are given at the mercy of God, just like God’s selection of Israel? To remind us that spiritual gifts are not deserved by us but given freely under his grace? Or to expand on the the verse “gifts and calling of God are irreversible”? Any thoughts?

1. I thought it seemed out of place also. What you suggested is what I was gathering also but I’m not quite for sure on that.

5. Marytony says:

Wow! I am catching up with my reading and I absolutely loved this devotional!
    I just came back from Israel and Romans 11:25-26 touched my heart so much! Israel is only partially hardened, for a period of time to give opportunity for us gentiles to come into the kingdom, but they will be saved!!! This makes my heart leap with joy!
    Also as I was reading the devotional and all the listed failures of the chosen people, it hit me: I am not any better. It just encourages me to see the love, mercy and faithfulness to his chosen people… and now that through Jesus Christ I am chosen as well, I can fully trust that He will never leave me no matter what! What a beautiful assurance!

6. Jody Heavenrich Hensley says:

This fills my heart with true happiness. I will never be able to comprehend God’s love but I am so thankful that He bestows it upon me.

7. Kamelia says:

Wow reading all your beautiful comments have truly inspired me. I am always getting trapped by the enemies inner voice, how can God love you? You are not worthy ? But reading Gods word today that God doesn’t love us with the broken human love linked to conditions or our performance, he loves us he absolutely loves us despite all our weaknesses and His love is irrévocable. Thank you God for choosing me a fallen weak person to be filled by your love. Knowing this helps me to learn to love myself and in turn given the ability to love others.

8. Sheryn says:

It is so difficult to understand God’s love for us. We tend to discount His love because we think that He loves us like we love each other – with constraints, and conditions, and always on the verge of rejection and disappointment. But the truth is that His love has no conditions and it will never end. If we can grasp that simple, straight-forward concept, then we will be able to trust Him completely and value His love for what it is: unconditional and for eternity.