The Depth of God’s Wisdom

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 11:25-36, Isaiah 40:13-15, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Romans 11:25-36, Isaiah 40:13-15, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11

Perhaps you’ve heard the not-so-fairy-tale-like stories of the children of Israel. Like the one where God rescued them from slavery, and they responded by grumbling about the flavors missing from their menu (Numbers 11). Or the one where they got impatient with Moses as he met with God on Mt. Sinai, so they decided to worship a golden calf (Exodus 32). Or the time when they came to the border of the promised land and listened to their knees knocking and hearts racing, instead of listening to the voice of God (Numbers 13).

When we flip forward in our Bibles to the New Testament, we find God’s people still stuck in the ruts of rejection and rebellion. It was, after all, the Jewish leaders who led the charge to have Jesus arrested, tried, convicted, and crucified (Matthew 26:3-5). After the resurrection, they remained resolute in their opposition of Jesus, doing everything in their power to squelch the message of the Church.

Yet here in Romans 11, Paul reminds us that despite their chronic grumbling and wilderness wandering, despite their golden calf worshipping and Savior scourging, the Jewish people remain God’s “beloved” (v. 28).

Our human logic may balk at this, but Paul warns against trusting only what makes sense to our brains (Romans 11:25). Try as we might, we cannot understand God’s love using our flawed standards for love and acceptance. Chapter after chapter, verse after verse, the story of God’s commitment to His chosen people doesn’t make sense. Human understanding leaves us wondering, Why did God choose them? But through the lens of the gospel, the story of the Jews suddenly makes sense. Look at Deuteronomy 7:6-8.

“For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth” (v. 6).

Lean in. Listen closely to this next part.

“It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all the peoples, but it is because the LORD loves you and is keeping the oath he swore to your fathers. . .” (vv. 7-8).

God knew His beloved were weak and frail—incapable of keeping their side of the covenant. Still He chose them, loves them, and keeps His promises to them.

The Bible is not the story of a wayward people but of a faithful God.

In the shadow of the cross, we are God’s chosen people. Because of the gospel, our identity has been changed from “not my people” to “my people” (Romans 9:25). Christ’s sacrifice made a way for us to be among the “beloved.” The gifts God has lavished upon us are so extravagant, and we are so undeserving, that we sometimes worry He’ll take them back. But “God’s gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable” (Romans 11:29).

The depth of God’s wisdom is matched only by the depth of His love. He has promised unfathomable gifts to us and He will never snatch them back. If every one of God’s acts of love and faithfulness toward the Jewish people could be contained, they’d overflow the seas. We, too, can stand on the shore and see the unmistakable faithfulness of God.

We are weak.

We are wayward.

And yet, the Prince and the kingdom are irrevocably ours.

SRT-ROMANS-instagram29

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

55 thoughts on "The Depth of God’s Wisdom"

1. Susan says:

These past couple days have been difficult, as I have struggled with my failings. UGH. Paralyzing and ugly thoughts have tripped me up. This reading has helped me come back to my center. I am certainly NOT anywhere near sinless and yet God still holds me close. I am so thankful for this. Confessing my sin and moving forward … thank you, Lord.

1. Michelle says:

That is all we can do: confess, repent and move forward in God’s love and mercy. It’s the only thing that saved me from myself.

2. Kari says:

Erin, I love how heavy into the Word this was based! I truly feel like I learned. Thank you so much for this.

3. Allison Joy says:

I love this version of Romans 11:33-36, put to music by Andrew Peterson.

4. Beckie says:

I have been a Christian since I was 9 years old. I am now 35 and have this weekend felt so close to God. This passage takes a whole new meaning for me after my beautiful encounter with my Heavenly Father and His amazing answer to our prayers. I was beginning to feel spiritually exhausted and unworthy, but this weekend that has all changed for me. Thank you for this amazing bible study and as the bible says ‘God’s timing is perfect’ xx

5. Kristi says:

“The Bible is not the story of a wayward people but of a faithful God.”

As someone who accepted Christ as a child and grew up in church, I always had a heart for God. But that love and desire to please gave way to self-righteousness and works-based faith in my teenage years. After college, I felt God calling me to draw closer to Him. I wasn’t faithful right away, but He was. Now, at the age of 25, I can finally say that I am experiencing the joy of a true relationship with my Father for the first time in my life.

When I look back at my life, it’s easy to despair at my waywardness. But in the midst of that is His love, His mercy, His faithfulness. Sometimes I wonder what God saw in me. I ask Him, “Why did You choose me?” It’s so hard for me to wrap my finite, human mind around a love like that. Despite my disobedience, He chose me and continually pursued me. And He chooses me every single day.

I’m so thankful that “God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable” in our lives… (Romans 11:29) …that our salvation is not based on how we feel, but on His grace and love that never fails. “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” – 2 Corinthians 9:15

6. Veronica says:

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” » 2 Corinthians 12:9

We are wayward, broken, reliably unreliable. Yet our Father has a purpose for us, dreams for us, delights in us (Zephaniah 3:17).

It’s easy to mistake our failures and weaknesses for the amount we are worth. When we fall short, when we sin, when we withdraw our love from others- we forget that God knew our weaknesses before they came to be, he knows our every thought, and is here with us through our mistakes. When we fail, when we struggle, we have the beautiful hope of his never ending love and the knowledge that he won’t ever leave us.

We can’t do this life alone- we can’t ever be ‘sinless’ or perfect- we are merely human. But with God, he joins us where we are, at the edge of our messy, broken lives and brings us up to make something beautiful. Without him we are incomplete, with him we are whole. We were made to be loved by him.

1. Kendra says:

Love this!!

2. Emily B. says:

Beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing!

3. Diane Huntsman says:

So amazing! Thank you!! Xo

7. Diane Huntsman says:

So this:
    Tweak my thinking to think way more upon Him and His matchless love and incomprehensible grace and think way less about myself..
    what a concept.. more of Him less of me.
    Noted✔️ thank you once again SRT xo

8. Tania says:

I am so thankful for Paul and for God, knowing I would need this, centuries later. Romans has been working on me, one day at a time, to remind me that God knows I’m going to mess up, I’m not going to get to some spiritual plane here on earth where I never make stupid choices of think ugly thoughts, it doesn’t matter how long ago I found Jesus. God is fully aware and loves me and will continue to love and forgive me until I die. It’s almost harder for me to wrap my head around this than it was to believe all my sins were washed away the first time! What a wonderful patient God. I love Him so much.