From Groans to Glory

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 8:18-25, Isaiah 65:17, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Revelation 21:1-6

BY Rebekah Lyons

Scripture Reading: Romans 8:18-25, Isaiah 65:17, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Revelation 21:1-6

It begins as far back as we can remember. Right before we run off to school, we smear on our mama’s lip gloss and clamp down as many hair clips as our endless bangs will allow. We hope for another attempt to fit in with the others, to measure up, to belong.

Growing up, I often found myself hanging in the balance between enjoying the moment and anticipating the next one. As a young child, my hopes centered around a 25-cent soft serve ice cream cone after church on Sunday nights. My hopes matured as I did—working to make the swim team, racing to the finish line at a track meet, striving to win an award. I hoped for slumber party invitations, a certain new sweater for Christmas and, of course, beating my brother at checkers.

Those early years of putting my best foot forward, I hoped the appearance of having it all together would win me friends. But years down the line, the stakes of life loomed larger, and deep heartache entered in—nevermind the lip gloss or hair clips.

In truly tragic moments, our hope is put to the test. And if it’s misplaced, it will be found wanting.

The hope we read about in Romans offers us a greater understanding of the hope God offers. It takes us from tangible evidence we can see, and pushes us deeper into a faith that asks for what we cannot see. In fact, all of creation is wired for this. If something breaks, we are hardwired to figure out a solution. Most problems can’t be solved in a day, so we work and test and try until we receive the desired outcome. But there will always be a hope offered by God that requires all of Him, and no amount of our working and testing will bring it to pass. This is the hope of Christ, our Rescuer and Redeemer.

Because of Christ, we are free to hope in even the most difficult or uncertain circumstances. In the first chapter of his epistle, James tells us to “consider it a great joy” whenever we face trials because the testing of our faith produces spiritual endurance (vv. 2-3). Trials are accompanied by hope. Hope is a gift. Hope is critical, and the gospel gives it to us in unending supply.

Now in this hope we were saved, but hope that is seen is not hope, because who hopes for what he sees? Now if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with patience (Romans 8:24-25).

Any suffering we endure here and now is incomparable to God’s coming glory (Romans 8:18). The measure of trials we have endured directly relates to the measure of hope we offer the world. This is the beautiful gift of hope.

One day our groans will give way to glory. While we wait, we place our hope in Jesus.

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; grief, crying, and pain will be no more, because the previous things have passed away (Revelation 21:4).

SRT-ROMANS-instagram19

56 thoughts on "From Groans to Glory"

1. Carissa says:

Thanks for these words- they fit my week. ..’pushes us deeper into a faith we cannot see’- faith is truly the simplest , yet hardest of things to grow into in this life.

2. Emily says:

Needed this this morning, so cool how even when we forget or get too busy to read, when we do turn back to God he always has something planned for us that’ll help us

3. Tatiana Phillips says:

Amen!!!

4. Amy says:

Romans 5:1-5 is the whole reason I am doing this study because I so desperately need hope right now, and that passage brings me hope that my suffering won’t be without gain. I had a miscarriage in March and still have many bad days of heartache. Every day I feel like Romans just speaks to me, and this passage is such a great reminder of the hope that is to come. Don’t lose heart, don’t lose hope, keep the faith!

1. C Gunckel says:

Amy, I am so sorry! Praying for you…..

2. Rachel says:

Amy, I’m so sorry for your heartache and the unimaginable loss that comes with miscarriage. I had one this past December with my first child, so I know your pain and am lifting you up in prayer. The biggest encouragement is this hope we have in Jesus, it’s what helped me to face each new day when I felt like I couldn’t get out of bed. I pray that He continues to fill you with this hope and His spirit brings you close to Him through this suffering. “He is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 He is making something beautiful out of this and will use it for good . And you are not alone! Not in the slightest! Continue to hope in Him and trust Him!

3. Jennifer says:

Amy, God is close to you now. Relax into that. I have been through 8 miscarriages, but I do not dare say I know how you feel. I feel that I will meet my children in the hereafter and my living son will be welcomed home some day by his siblings. I pray for peace for you and comfort.

5. Laura says:

So thankful for this word. I’m going through a really difficult season in my marriage and struggling to hope for things that I can’t yet see, both in our lives and in eternity. These scriptures give me something to hold onto every day.

1. Evie says:

Sorry to hear of your challenges Laura, I will pray for you today, hope to hear back to see your ‘hope’ turned into reality. For He makes ALL things new!

6. Bev says:

Here is Revelation 21 set to music — turn it up and enjoy! We are so blessed to have this worship band at our church.

1. C Gunckel says:

Thank you Beg……..I close my eyes and I can see!

1. C Gunckel says:

Thank you Bev……..I close my eyes and I can see!

7. Caroline says:

Romans 8:25 is one of my favorite passages. There is no reason to hope in what we already have. But hoping in the unseen? We eagerly wait for it with patience!

8. Carleejanae says:

Hope! I have bee aching for hope in this current season of my life. From graduating, to accepting a job at the university i poured so much into for four years and now want to get away, to overcoming anxiety, God still manages to point me right to certain scripture when I need it. This current season is uncomfortable, but I truly believe that we must learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. This current battle in my mind seems to be ongoing. At first I was not understanding what I was reading. After reading all of you guys thoughtful comments it has helped bring clarity to this roadbloack I’ve been in. I pray that God molds my heart to lead me in the direction that’s needed. I pray I can be reminded as I move forward of this hope. Wow! God is good.