Our New Life in Christ

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 6:1-14, 2 Corinthians 5:18-21, Colossians 3:1-11

BY Rebekah Lyons

Scripture Reading: Romans 6:1-14, 2 Corinthians 5:18-21, Colossians 3:1-11

My daughter was baptized a few months ago.

She decided to follow Jesus in her elementary years, and considered baptism a long while until she entered middle school. The week prior, a pastor from our church sat down in our kitchen to talk to her about the weight of this decision. She was choosing to publicly testify Christ as her Lord to anyone who asked. This was a commitment to follow and serve Jesus no matter what, even when it was difficult.

The following Sunday she wrote a letter to Jesus, just between them, and pinned it to a wooden cross at the front of our sanctuary before taking her turn in the waters. As her daddy lowered her beneath the water he offered the words, “buried with Jesus in the likeness of His death, and raised to walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4).

Scripture says we joined Jesus in His death when we were baptized. Death no longer rules over Christ Jesus, nor does it rule over those who believe in Him. What’s more, when we died with Christ, we were set free from the power of sin. “For the death he died, he died to sin once for all time.” As believers in Christ Jesus, we are to “consider [ourselves] dead to sin and alive to God” (vv. 9-11).

But if we’ve truly died to sin, why do we continue to live in it? The act of sharing in Christ’s death wouldn’t be a one-time thing any more than taking communion would be a one-time thing. In fact, we’re told to examine our hearts before we take the bread and the cup (1 Corinthians 11:27). We ought to examine our hearts in everything and invite God to search our hearts too (Psalm 139:23).

When we take a lackadaisical approach to our sin, we give it room to rule over us, to distract us. As those who have been crucified with Christ, sin is no longer our ruler. We are not under the law but under grace (Galatians 2:20; Romans 6:14).

This begs the question: What in my life needs to die each day? What has become an idol, a security, a focus, or a prop that has pushed God aside? I never seem to see sin enter my heart until I hear it roll off my tongue—a little sarcasm here, a critique there. Then envy soon follows, before resentment settles in and camps out.

For starters, my pride needs to die. It needs to die a thousand deaths. It’s the temptation of the religious leader to get puffed up by our words, thinking the message is ours. But the truth is that God has planted His Word in our hearts (Hebrews 10:16). We are simply called to speak His Word when summoned.

There’s something else that needs to die for me in this season: production. It’s time for me to get quiet after a long season of pouring out. Making room for the death of an idol opens wide the gates for a new beginning, a new imagination for what God will bring about in the days ahead. I’m walking out these days with an expectant heart, putting my ear to the ground, and listening for a fresh refrain of reverence.

I wonder, is there something that needs to die for you today? When you are joined in Christ’s death through faith, you are also raised with Him in newness of life. Laying down your idols will open the floodgates for freedom to reign once more, making room for new life to spring forth again.

SRT-ROMANS-instagram12

92 thoughts on "Our New Life in Christ"

1. Nicole says:

I’m going through a break up and while I put the relationship down according to his will, I feel so focused on it and distracted by it that it’s taking away my focus from seeking the lord and pressing into him in my time of need and suffering. I just want to give that to God and ask him to remove that person from my thoughts entirely lest my sadness become an idol, and allow me to rest and take comfort in the presence of the Lord. I trust you Lord and what you’re doing in my life. I know you’ve imagined something much greater than I could ever imagine for myself. I trust your plan for me and ask for your guiding hand to Shepard me through. Amen.

1. Alana says:

Nicole, God works in some crazy cool ways, because I just went through almost the exact same situation as you! It is so hard to set aside something you feel strongly about, but the good news is that God is greater than all of these things. Keep pressing into him, I am praying for you too❤️

2. Zoe says:

Lord, what needs to die in me today? Search my heart and help me leave sin behind to truly live for You

3. ed sheeran age says:

Hello! I just now would like to offer a huge thumbs up for the wonderful info you might have here on this post. I am returning to your website for additional soon.

4. Hailey says:

Apathy and timidity need to die in my life. Asking myself…Do I stand out as different because of Christ in my work place? I would like to say YES, but know that I often slip into apathy and join in the destructive conversations. What is the point of working in a secular setting if it is not evident that Christ has changed me inside and out and that I am visibly different than just a “nice” person? I need to reject the apathy of accepting my tiredness and sitting by, not engaging in these people’s lives around me. I also feel as though my pride keeps me from sharing Christ unashamedly with my coworkers because I care so much about what they think of me. Help me Lord to lay down my apathy and pride and find the freedom in being loved by you no matter what the world thinks of me.

1. Christine says:

Amen girl! I totally feel you and have the same struggle! You are not alone!

5. Joyce says:

Here I am Lord. I offer you myself today. Every part of me. Use me for your glory.
    Instead of focusing on dying to sin, focus on living for Jesus.

6. Renee Morris says:

Girl. That pride thing? Yes, I totally get that. My pride really stops me from living in the way God wants me to be, especially as a light in the fields he has called me into. But it’s hardddd because I know that pride is a result of me being guarded and not letting people in too quickly so I can suss someone out before getting close to them. I guess I need to learn how to do the latter without producing the former.

1. Beth McCormick says:

Praying for Jesus to show His love to you even more!

7. Heidi says:

Phew. This could not have come at a better time. Who wants to raise their hand with me and let production DIE. I find that when I have to be busy, when I can’t stand quiet and aloneness, my body is producing, building, striving…and what in the world is it for? It certainly isn’t for God. It’s to prove that I am valuable, that I can contribute, that I can independently make my own way in this world. And it is EXHAUSTING. Can I get an amen? Why do I keep dying over and over and over again on an alter to a god I don’t even want to serve? What a relief to hear, “for sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace,” and, “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Christ is my life…production, the work of my hands, is not my life. Thank you Jesus!

1. Lindsay says:

Yes! Amen! Me, too, sister.

8. Brandy W says:

I’m really struggling to lay down temptations. Just thinking thoughts that are sinful have made me feel less of a Christian. I acknowledge my sin and it makes me feel so sad and guilty. Praying today to hear Gods voice and reassurance that I can do this. I want to be a genuine Christian that glorifies God through my actions and my thoughts. I feel distant and like I’m not hearing Gods voice.

1. Shannon says:

Brandy, I can relate to really wanting to hear from God. I’m praying that you find God’s grace everyday!

2. Kayla says:

Hey Brandi, I don’t usually post on here but as soon as I read your passage I knew that I needed to say something. I have been dealing with the same issue. I’ve known the Lord my whole life but here recently I have learned who God really is and how much that he loves me and I’m still working on that. But the other day I was listening to a sermon at my church and he told us that when we are dealing with Temptations that we must not entertain them. He said “you will not send if you are tempted by Satan. It’s what you do with the thought. Do not entertain it! there will not be a time on this side of heaven where you will not be tempted. Aulson begins in your mind. Satan’s thoughts always have a trap attached. Satan’s goal is not just to get you to sin, it’s to get you to affect generations. You must take your thought there will not be a time on this side of heaven where you will not be tempted. Aulson begins in your mind. Satan’s thoughts always have a trap attached. Satan’s goal is not just to get you to sin, it’s to get you to affect generations.
      What you need to do when your next temptation arises is to first identify the lie of Satan, second, take that thought captive and third, replace that thought and to clear it with the truth that the Lord says about you! Satan deals with the facts but Jesus deals with the truth.”

1. Kayla says:

Haha sorry. When I said “send” I meant sin and when I said “Aulson” I meant all sin.

3. Lindsay says:

I also don’t normally reply, but something that helped me with the same problem was this message from a pastor: “if you could do it alone, you would have already done it.” For me, that looked like crying out literally to God as soon as the thought came up. It’s not overnight, but continue to give it to God. Not your strength, but His can overcome.

1. Christine says:

Amen! I have, personally for myself, struggled a lot with inappropriate thoughts especially with sexual stuff and have felt so disgusting and condemned about it but memorizing and repeating 2 Corinthians 10:5 has been so helpful!!! Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ!