Eternal Blessedness

Psalm 134:1-3

BY She Reads Truth

Scripture Reading: Psalm 134

The Christian life is a climb—a journey of constant growth, sacrifice, and trusting God for what we cannot see. As Eugene Peterson said, we are pilgrims, but we are also disciples—always moving and always learning. The Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134) were sung by worshipers as they made the journey up to Jerusalem for the annual feasts. In this 3-week reading plan, we are digging into these traveling songs with the help of short summary essays and thoughtful, reflective questions for each psalm. Take your pack on your shoulder and walk with us as we pursue God together.

Psalm 134 (CSB)
CALL TO EVENING WORSHIP
A song of ascents.

1 Now bless the LORD,
all you servants of the LORD
who stand in the LORD’s house at night!
2 Lift up your hands in the holy place
and bless the LORD!

3 May the LORD,
Maker of heaven and earth,
bless you from Zion.

A Song of Invitation to Bless the Lord
The pilgrim-disciple invites the other pilgrim-disciples—people whose lives are a journey, but not without a guide—to bless the Lord, lifting holy hands in praise together.

This song is an invitation to bless God—to worship with one voice. We have come from all kinds of places, through all sorts of experiences, trials, joys, and sufferings, but we’re here now. Hear the invitation. Worship the Lord.

Reflect
1. How do you most often respond to invitations? Do you typically say yes or no when you’re invited to something unfamiliar? Why?

2. Where in your life are you looking at God’s instruction, like this invitation to worship, and wondering if it is really what you need? What fatherly commands has He given you that you turn away either because you don’t like them or don’t understand them?

3. What would it look like for you to say yes to the invitation offered in Psalm 134? Where and when should a person respond to this call to worship?

SRT-POA-Instagram-Day19

52 thoughts on "Eternal Blessedness"

1. Caroline says:

I am so thankful for all the opportunities to say yes to worshiping Jesus! There is just nothing quite as fulfilling and life-giving!

2. Sadie Rose says:

I have been in kind of a spiritual slump lately. It seems hard to follow God’s instructions for me. I seem to hesitate. I could use some prayer in this time of my life. I love this blog, and how welcome I feel to comment a prayer request. I love what everyone is doing for this site.

1. Emily B. says:

Don’t be discouraged! And don’t be afraid to step out in faith! God won’t let you fall. :)

2. churchmouse says:

Praying for you, Sadie. The Lord is faithful to answer when we cry out, no matter how hesitant the cry or weak the voice. When we are weak, then He is strong.

1. Kelly says:

Amen . Perfect

3. Cecilia says:

Praying for you.

4. Nancy says:

Praying for you Sadie Rose. We all have ups and downs in our spiritual walk and God patiently waits for us. Praying for you to boldly seek and accept His plan for you. You will be so blessed my sister.

3. Diane Huntsman says:

I wonder why so often I feel defeated.. my neglect of sincere worship is the culprit.. there is fullness found and emptying oneself in Worship. We are always welcomed, but often a no show at His feet.

4. Mari says:

And I echo Churchmouse’s song right now. “when the darkness closes in Lord, Still I will say, Blessed be the name of the Lord”.

5. Mari says:

I hesitated to comment as I always do not want to be the downer. Facing some challenging times and unexpected situation that cannot be fixed. My heart aches but I need to be strong i

1. Debbie says:

Mari, I’m praying for God to give you strength and hold you in the comfort of His arms.

2. She Reads Truth says:

Praying for you, sweet friend! So glad you shared. You are never a downer because of your need for prayer!

– Stormye

1. Mari says:

Thank you! It’s amazing how I felt incredible strength when I came to work.

1. SusieP says:

So glad to hear you felt His love surround and strengthen you. Your post was a gentle reminder to me that it is only in our weakness that we find ourselves truly leaning on God. And that’s when the beauty begins! I’m lifting you up to Him.

6. Tricia C says:

Praise Jesus! Thank you ladies for your encouragement! And thank you Lord for putting up with me! Have a blessed weekend ladies!

7. Susan says:

The psalm reads like a charge, a sending out of the pilgrim-disciple. Now, go pilgrim-disciple. Make your life a life[style] of worship. And as a reminder, such as the reminder given to the priestly watchmen who stand watch at night and who perform the charge given them, to couple your work with blessing the Lord. The more service, the more blessing and prayer is required; the more effort, the more worship and communion with God; so that, our life(style)’s worship is always for the Lord. It is a joy to receive a blessing from the Lord, now be a blessing.

1. Brandi says:

Love this!

2. Bek says:

Yes! Amen.

8. carrie says:

The direction of blessing strikes me in this Psalm: 1. “bless the Lord” 2. “bless the Lord” 3. “the Lord bless you”

It reminds me of Hosea 6, a chapter that has been important to me for a long time, particularly after a broken engagement (Hosea is chock full of the marriage metaphor with the Lord as husband). The chapter starts with an invitation to return and pursue the Lord, with a raw and real tone, not just warm, pink flowery cursive:

“He has torn us, but he will heal us. He has wounded us, but he will bandage us.”

By verse 3, it’s clear that I’m facing toward the Lord not because anything in our relationship starts with me, but out of the sureness that he is loyal, in spite of me:

“So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth.”

He is entirely in charge, but he is good. Hosea gets UGLY, but ends on chapter 14. I am insolent, rebellious, childish and deserving of divorce, but He promises loyalty and healing:

“I will heal their apostasy,
    I will love them freely,
    For My anger has turned away from them.

5I will be like the dew to Israel;
    He will blossom like the lily,
    And he will take root like the cedars of Lebanon.

6His shoots will sprout,
    And his beauty will be like the olive tree
    And his fragrance like the cedars of Lebanon.

7Those who live in his shadow
    Will again raise grain,
    And they will blossom like the vine.

So I respond to the invitation to bless because I KNOW that my God does not show me dead things he does not plan to resurrect.

“He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day…” (Hosea 6:2)

Hmmm, that sounds familiar…

1. Alexis says:

I needed to see this comment today. Thank you!