The Quiet Confidence of Faith

Psalm 131:1-3

BY She Reads Truth

Scripture Reading: Psalm 131

The Christian life is a climb—a journey of constant growth, sacrifice, and trusting God for what we cannot see. As Eugene Peterson said, we are pilgrims, but we are also disciples—always moving and always learning. The Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134) were sung by worshipers as they made the journey up to Jerusalem for the annual feasts. In this 3-week reading plan, we are digging into these traveling songs with the help of short summary essays and thoughtful, reflective questions for each psalm. Take your pack on your shoulder and walk with us as we pursue God together.

Psalm 131 (CSB)
A CHILDLIKE SPIRIT
A song of ascents. Of David.

1 LORD, my heart is not proud;
my eyes are not haughty.
I do not get involved with things
too great or too wondrous for me.
2 Instead, I have calmed and quieted my soul
like a weaned child with its mother;
my soul is like a weaned child.

3 Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
both now and forever.

A Song About the Gift of Limits
The pilgrim-disciple acknowledges that while she is a person with limits, she also has a place among God’s people.

We do not have to justify our worth or earn our place before God. When we grasp this, we begin to trust that growing comfortable with our sense of place is part of God’s good gift to us. This frees us to not only be at peace with our limitations, but to actually extol their virtues.

Reflect
1.In your experience, what does the world say must be true about you for you to have worth?

2. Why do you think God gives us limits? What are some of yours?

3. What are some of the values of having limitations? How do your limits help you?

SRT-POA-Instagram-Day16

86 thoughts on "The Quiet Confidence of Faith"

1. Kayla says:

1. You must be independent and rely on men and be closed off with people

2. So we know our place and can be hummed and god can use our weaknesses

My nvld

God can use it for them and to humming us

2. Joy says:

In so many ways I need to remember to calm and quiet my soul. It’s very easy for me to become so involved in my work life that it becomes my entire life. I need to quiet my soul and remember my purpose!

3. dana says:

I have been struggling literally today, even minutes before I read this with my place, my worth in my professional life. I feel like everyone around knows more than I do and even though I enjoy a title, I feel so very inadequate and fish for ideas on how to grow, how to expand, how to whatever….but all that seems to do is leave me wild eyed with options and paralyzed with fear to try to take any of them. I have pursed this career with a masters and have earned a professional development oppt’y for the summer, but I still feel condemned as inadequate. I long for freedom in my place, freedom in my limits and freedom from the world’s answer to worth.

1. Juanita says:

Praying God’s all-sufficient grace for you Dana. Keep your eyes on Him and not yourself. He has called you. Positioned you. And will qualify and equip you. Rest in His love by feasting on His Word.

2. Heather Kulaga says:

It’s been my experience that the best leaders are often those who have the advantage of not knowing everything their job requires. Just take that one thing in front of you that you need to do (or that you think to do) and do that one thing. Really lean on God to direct your steps. Don’t worry about doing everything, all of those things that you CAN do in this job will come in time. If you can, meet regularly with your boss, list the things that you are currently doing, and then say something like, “I really want to grow into this job, and I want to do more every day, but I also want to be sure that the things I’m accomplishing are done well before I add the next thing. Can you give me an idea of one more thing I can add to what I do?” (Or maybe “What do you see as the next priority here that I need to tackle?” If you have no direct boss, have that conversation with yourself, prayerfully. I think it’s okay to feel inadequate, as long as you understand that you’re not the one that has to be adequate — God is completely qualified in every way, and you are His child. This job may feel too big for you, but it is not too big for God. Write down what you accomplished yesterday even if it’s only one thing, and prayerfully add one more for today.

3. Jennifer Green says:

Me, too. Exactly all of this.

4. Aimee says:

This morning, I came across Charles Spurgeon’s sermon on psalm 130-131. He introduces the topic of a weaned child with this quote:
    “Weaning was one of the first real troubles that we met with after we came into this world and it was, at the time, a very terrible one to our little hearts. We got over it somehow or other. We do not remember, now, what a trial it was to us, but we may take it as a type of all troubles, for if we have faith in Him, who was our God from our mother’s breasts, as we got over the weaning and do not even remember it, so we shall get over all the troubles that are to come, and shall scarcely remember them for the joy that will follow” (http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols19-21/chs1210.pdf).
    I was struck by the developmental perspective of humans, and how a process all babies experience is used by the psalmist to create a picture of the hope we have in Christ through faith. God uses our trials, even the ones we will eventually forget, to imprint His joy and hope into our lives!

1. Ree says:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

2. Rachel says:

Wow! I’m really grateful you shared that excerpt. It’s so meaningful for the way we look at our current (and ultimately passing) troubles.

3. Stephanie Scott says:

Thankful that you shared this 2 years ago! Reading it today and blessed by it.

5. Allison Joy says:

The first part of 2 and 3 go together in my eyes. God gives us limitations because they do have value. They help us see that we can’t do it on our own, and I think they can also help us see where we are NOT limited and find joy in that. I have some physical limitations. I am 4’10” in a world that was not made for people under 5 feet tall! (Uh… top shelf of the grocery store? Forget about it! Ha!) I also had physical delays as a child. I was in both Special Education for my physical limitations, but also in gifted education. It was an interesting combination, even as a kid.

One of my favorite verses (and yet, somehow, one I tend to forget about unless it is specifically brought to mind) is 2 Corinthians 12:9. “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” Every summer at my church, we do a community children’s musical, with 40+ kids involved, and I’m one of the assistant directors (that title really gives me more credit than is due.) This year, the theme of the musical is all about Bible memorization, and this is one of the verses in it. I can’t wait for 40 kids to hide this verse in their heart, along with 18 other verses/passages, plus others we might add in on our own. Should be a fun summer!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for sharing this, Allison Joy! What a sweet reminder to us all that we should boast in our weaknesses because of the power of Christ. Grateful for you – I always enjoy when you share!

– Stormye

6. Kristi says:

I already shared an article earlier, but later on I was digging deeper into the topic of limitations as it relates to today’s Psalm and I found a podcast of a sermon that fits right in! After I listened to it, I knew without a doubt that God intended this word for me today. It was so timely and so, so good. Exactly what I needed today. God is so amazing. I highly recommend listening to it you have a few extra minutes!

1. Kristi says:

It would also be helpful for those who commented earlier saying they were not sure how the questions relate to today’s Scripture reading. :) I was kind of unsure about that too but now I definitely see the connection.

2. BarbaraH says:

Thank you for this, Kristi. I found this sermon SO helpful!

3. Miranda says:

THANK YOU for sharing!!! The Lord used this sermon to bless me in so many ways!

7. Alexis says:

I am discovering boundaries bring freedom and peace!

8. Susanna says:

We are to be independent, not to depend on anyone but ourself. I want to depend on God and let him walk with me through my day. I’m a gardener and i tend to try to pull big clumps of grass by yanking. Then my shoulders hurt but if i use a shovel it comes right out. I need help, Gods help!

1. Sharon Gallo says:

I love this! Thank you for sharing!