The Active Discipline of Hope

Psalm 130:1-8

BY She Reads Truth

Scripture Reading: Psalm 130

The Christian life is a climb—a journey of constant growth, sacrifice, and trusting God for what we cannot see. As Eugene Peterson said, we are pilgrims, but we are also disciples—always moving and always learning. The Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134) were sung by worshipers as they made the journey up to Jerusalem for the annual feasts. In this 3-week reading plan, we are digging into these traveling songs with the help of short summary essays and thoughtful, reflective questions for each psalm. Take your pack on your shoulder and walk with us as we pursue God together.

Psalm 130 (CSB)
AWAITING REDEMPTION
A song of ascents.

1 Out of the depths I call to you, LORD!
2 Lord, listen to my voice;
let your ears be attentive
to my cry for help.

3 LORD, if you kept an account of iniquities,
Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
so that you may be revered.

5 I wait for the LORD; I wait
and put my hope in his word.
6 I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning —
more than watchmen for the morning.

7 Israel, put your hope in the LORD.
For there is faithful love with the LORD,
and with him is redemption in abundance.
8 And he will redeem Israel
from all its iniquities.

A Song of Hope
The pilgrim-disciple cries out from the depths, placing her hope in God’s forgiving love.

This is a song of repentance for not trusting in the forgiveness God offers. If God were to hold our sin against us, we could not enter into His presence. But God’s mercy beckons us to come to Him. The God who forgives is to be revered and trusted. We depend on God, and in Christ He gives us everything we need to know Him and worship Him without fear.

Reflect
1. The opening verse of this psalm has an urgency to it. The pilgrim-disciple is asking the Lord to hear her cries for mercy. What is typically your most urgent prayer? Why?

2. Do you believe your sin makes it so that, apart from God’s mercy, you could not stand before Him? Do you believe He shows mercy and forgives? Why or why not?

3. This is a corporate song—one believers would sing together. What impact would it have on a community if every member believed they needed God’s mercy, and trusted that God gives it? In what ways do you add strength to your community by believing in the mercy and forgiveness we have in Christ?

SRT-POA-Instagram-Day15

52 thoughts on "The Active Discipline of Hope"

1. Molly says:

Usually my most urgent prayers would be that God would take away my anxiety or ease it. I usually pray this prayer repeatedly at night when I feel the most anxious or when I feel an anxiety attack coming on or am in the middle of one. I feel desperate and I want the anxious feelings to disappear. I definitely have days when I am fine and I thank God for those times, but then the prayers to erase my anxiety pop up again sometimes.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Praying for you in this, Molly. Asking the Lord to ease your anxiety and to remind you that He is always present. So grateful for you.

– Stormye

2. Sissy says:

May the Holy Spirit fill every nook and cranny of your being. May the peace that passes all understanding wash over you. And may the Lord be a shield through which the enemy cannot penetrate. Each day I try to have a piece of scripture or a few words of truth in the back of my mind ( ‘I even rite them on an index card and carry in my pocket) so when those anxious thoughts try to take over I can replace them with truth. It’s almost impossible to just “not be anxious” – you have to replace it with truth/Holy power.

2. Allie says:

My most urgent prayers are repeated every night- forgiveness for smoking. I want to stop, I have tried for years and I feel so broken that it hasn’t happened yet. I feel like a failure every night and question whether or not I am even a Christian- shouldn’t I be strong enough? I’ve tried to let God be strong for me but I get in his way. It’s like I do it without thinking. Oh, I am so ready to be done. My heart it willing but I am so weak. It’s the worst. But nightly I go to Him, asking forgiveness yet again…

1. Lex says:

Keep praying and believing. God is good. God is all-powerful. He is faithful and sticks to His promises. There hasn’t been a promise He didn’t keep.

2. Beth L. says:

Allie, God does love you and wants you to have victory over the smoking that controls you. But He also expects us to be wise and do our part. That can seem impossible, but being wise means to seek help, alternatives, ect. Do not buy any cigarettes ever. If you do not have them, you cannot smoke them. Find someone that can be your accountability partner to ask you every few days how you are doing. Hen you feel weak and want to give in to the urge call your accountability partner to give you encouragement to get through the rough patch, no matter how many times it takes. When you do “fall”, pick yourself back up and keep on. Pretty soon there should be bigger and bigger lengths of time that you aren’t smoking. It will be a process but you will begin to have bigger and bigger victories until you have won the battle. These are just a few things to try, there are many other things that you can do. Ask the Lord to give you wisdom. Some things work better for some people and other things for others. Turn to the Lord during the weak moments and ask Him to strengthen you and give you other practical ideas for getting victory one day at a time. Praying for you, Allie, and I am sure many other SRTers are also.

3. Amelia says:

“If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O LORD, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.” Allie take courage in that you are not alone. We each stand in this place of begging for God’s mercy at the days end. But he is not tallying up your iniquities against you. In him there is forgiveness. I pray that the refreshing that comes from complete forgiveness would wash over you anew.

3. Kelsey says:

I have always been raised Christian but I’m in my early twenties and struggling to know and draw near to God for myself. I want that connection of my own and a strong relationship that I have worked to build with God. That’s why I’m thankful for these studies. My biggest cry to Him is for my father’s sobriety and my parents’ marriage and health. I am an only child and they are quite older. I often feel lonely and worried about them and I’m praying that He heals them inside and out and protects my biggest blessings.

1. Britt says:

Kelsey, sweet friend I am lifting you up in encouragement this morning! I to continuously pray for my father to be freed from addiction to drugs and alcohol! I also continuously pray for my parents marriage for my whole life I have seen them struggle to show one another love like the love we are shown! But can I just encourage you don’t grow weary for our strength is found in the Lord and through the Lord I only will he sings be healed!

I can happily say that after 21 years of my dad being addicted to drugs and alcohol he is now 130 days clean which is the longest he’s ever been clean for. It is worth celebrating! So don’t give up don’t give up on God because he has a plan !

4. My most urgent prayers are that my girls are returned to me by their father who has made it his goal to punish me over the last three years by keeping them from me.

1. Miranda says:

May not be what you want to hear, but I suggest praying for your daughter’s father. It’s hard and against what we feel to pray against someone who’s hurting us… but you won’t believe the power it has. I felt the lord tell me to pray for someone that hurt me… every time I had sad or angry thoughts of that person, I immediate had to start praying for them. It softened my heart and I saw transformation in that person! I felt like God needed me to push myself aside, seek him in a place that was hard, and find forgiveness within myself.

1. Miranda says:

Also, praying for you in this hard season. I can’t imagine what you’re walking through but the Lord blesses obedience and he will provide.

5. Melody Suarez says:

My biggest plea for God is during my bouts of anxiety.

6. Lucy La says:

My most urgent prayer is typically asking the Lord to protect me from stumbling – from sin, because I know even though I’ve been given a new life in Christ, I’m not immune with sin, which “wages war on my flesh” – I’m up against cosmic evil. Yet because I am a new creation because of the blood of Jesus, He is MIGHTY and FAITHFUL to forgive and continue redeeming sinners like me who are imperfectly following Him. He, who called me, is faithful, to complete the work He has begun in me in the day of Christ Jesus. There is HOPE for me in Jesus!

1. Emily B. says:

I love how you worded things. Thanks for sharing!

7. Kathy says:

My most urgent prayer is typically when I am hurt over something. I would love to have that urgency over the less dire items but long term might be even more important.

8. Di says:

My hope is that Jesus lives with me and I am abundantly free! This is my hearts truth. Often though, my reality is that I am complacent,content with less than His presence. It is a lazy ,empty feeling. But,the discipline,the calling over me is always for my best lufe, found only in his presence!