Making Room for Children

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Text: Psalm 139:13-16, Proverbs 17:6, Matthew 18:1-6, Matthew 19:14, Matthew 21:14-16, Mark 10:13-16, Ephesians 6:1-4

“Mama, I feel like I’m upside down in a cornfield!”

Maybe this is something commonly heard in motherhood, but since I’ve yet to become one, I wouldn’t know. Hopefully, you’re just as confused as I was when I woke up to this statement in the middle of the night.

I rubbed my eyes in confusion. It took a minute to regain my bearings and remember exactly where I was—at the beach, with one of my best friends and her three children.

It was their annual beach vacation, and I’d said yes last-minute to hopping in the minivan for a few days of saltwater and sunshine before the rest of the family arrived. I didn’t have to be a mother to know that a seven-hour trip with three kids and only one short episode of crying—and one, small snack-spilling incident—was some kind of miracle. Victorious, we’d tossed aside our sandals and rolled up our jeans at the first sight of ocean, splashing around in the dark until we could barely keep our eyes open.

Our cozy hotel room was filled with baby snuggles and loud giggles, worlds away from my quiet apartment at home, and I loved making room for every sweet moment. I was letting the little children come to me and received cuteness and cuddles—a serious benefit—in return. But upon waking up in the middle of the night, the scene was a little different.

A flipped lightswitch signaled that the “upside down in a cornfield” child was awake and not dreaming. Her tiny whimper and the worried look on her mama’s face confirmed the girl’s sudden sickness and strange hallucination. Their hurried footsteps headed for the bathroom, where baby brother’s travel crib was still blocking the toilet. That’s when I remembered that I’d been sharing a water bottle with the sweet, sickly child all day long, which meant I was probably halfway to a cornfield myself.

Small things sometimes turn out to be the most significant and, well, contagious—especially when they have hearts that beat like yours and mine. Making room for children is hard because we never stop being children ourselves. We never stop needing our Father. We struggle to make room even for ourselves, only to see that He already has, again and again.

This is why it’s important to make room for the children tugging on our shirts and hanging on our legs even—especially—if they aren’t living in our homes. The parent-child relationship is one of the most prevalent themes in Scripture. Shouldn’t it be one of the most prevalent themes in our lives? We should care for these little ones Jesus loves so dearly. Even when it means getting messy. Even when it means waking up in the middle of the night. Even when it means being upside down in a cornfield.

Isn’t that what He does for us? God knew us when we were formless (Psalm 139:16). He prepared praise from our mouths (Matthew 21:16). He asks us simply to come to Him (Matthew 19:14). May we do the same for others, especially when they are small, for they are not small to Him. Amen.

SRT-John-instagram10s-new-2

93 thoughts on "Making Room for Children"

1. Lisa says:

As someone who struggled to conceive for a very long time, I appreciated that this piece was written by someone who doesn’t have children of their own. It’s a wonderful perspective and reminder to embrace the children that are in your life, even if you didn’t give birth to them. I know firsthand that it can be so bittersweet and difficult to do if you are dealing with prolonged singleness or infertility, but it is something we must continually ask the Holy Spirit to help us do. Thanks for this lovely article. If anyone is struggling with infertility and would like some encouragement, I have an infertility encouragement blog at amateurnester.com

2. Kensley Goodman says:

I love kids, I have always loved kids. In my early teens I was already teaching a kindergarten class at vacation bible school. My friends would call me a “baby hog” whenever someone at church would have a new baby, because rest assure I was going to have them in my lap first thing Sunday morning and not let anyone else as long as I could help it get to hold and cuddle the sweet little thing. Now that I have gotten married my heart has become blind a little bit. My husband and I are having trouble conceiving and that is about all that has consumed me lately. I have ignored the children he has placed in my life already because I am so focused on having my own. We have beautiful nieces and nephews that deserve my attention. This devotion changed my heart and opened my eyes of what was happening. I feel like every passage I read opens my eyes to something that is happening around me or within me and I am thankful for that.

3. Kylee says:

It’s easy to get caught up in the crazy of motherhood when they’re little, when the days stretch long but the years zoom past…then they reach a self sufficient age, an inquisitive stage — and that’s where I am. My 9 year old requires more grace from me daily than a cute little crying baby ever could. Her endless questions about life and people and God leave me frazzled. But here is where I am. And I lead a group of third grade girls at church, so sometimes I feel like I am playing a constant game of 20 questions! This reading is a perfect reminder that Jesus didn’t put an age-cap on what “children” came to Him, He didn’t say “okay you’re on your own” when the little children stayed a little too long on his lap or asked just one too many questions at bedtime. Let Them Come, He said. Lord be my example. Give us as mothers GRACE to cover where we fall short, and give us all words to pray over every child in our lives, whether we are their mother or not.

4. Natalie says:

As a children’s sabbath school teacher and being no where close to having a family of my own… I see how crucial their upbringing is! As others have said, it’s important for parents to teach their children to be people of God but lately I’ve been seeing the opposite. As parents, guardians, teachers and family members God has entrusted us with the task of helping them find Him rather than just going to church because mum and dad do! I know I’m in this position for a reason and I pray God uses me to be an effective and loving witness to all of my sabbath school children. I pray that we all will be like Jesus and bring the little children to Him.

5. Beth says:

It saddens me to see so many many ladies in the United States struggling to be mothers. I’m afraid that in you country you have lost your teachers. God planned it so that mothers would teach their daughters to become mothers. But I see that the daughters of the United States do not know how to be mothers when they get married. That doesn’t mean that you learn everything, but you should be fairly well equipped by the time marriage comes along. But in the U.S. it seems that mothers quit teaching their daughters some generations ago how to be wives and mothers, the biggest and most important job God gave us, and they traded it in to be successful in the workforce. I heat people say there is no handbook for raising children. My mother used the Word of God and taught us to seek Him, cook, clean, manage the finances of the home, love a husband, learn to change diapers, tell if a baby has fever, train children to be obedient (even the strong willed ones, and I had two very strong willed, which sent me to prayer and the Word daily), and a thousand and one other details pertaining to raising children, etc., etc., ect. Ladies teach your young girls how to be a wife and a mother, so that they don’t have the struggles that your average young lady is having in your country now days. Then it I’ll be so much easier to love all those children, as God planned for us, especially as women, to love them.

1. SB says:

But with that it’s just as important to teach your boys to be husbands and men of God! All the focus can’t be focused on the daughters or it’s going to continue to be one sided all their lives! I feel like we forget that often. I want to raise a son like Boaz that they are loving and kind and look out for Ruth’s best interest and what other people think of her.

1. Kylee says:

YES YES YES — it’s not just the mothers who need to step up.

6. Sarah says:

I grew up in a huge family. Only daughter with ten brothers. I’m number 8 in the lineup and have three younger brothers. There’s a 4 year gap between my next older brother and myself so I was like my younger brothers second mom after my mother went back to work after the youngest was born. Young children have always been a major part of my life and my heart swells with joy whenever I get to spend time with children. My older brothers started having babies when I was 8 so I quickly became an aunt and have loved every minute of time spent with all 24 of my nieces and nephews. And my heart aches to have children of my own, especially as my younger brothers have started new families and my closest younger brother just had his first child in December. How much though this devotional today resonated with me. I work for a juvenile court and often engage with teenagers who are about to become adults. Sometimes I find myself so frustrated with them and wonder why they can’t just grow up and start acting like they’re almost a grown up. And then I have conversations with these kids and realize that for so many, their childhood was torn away from them. They have had to grow up in other ways far too soon and are really just big little kids still, just as much in need of a caring adult to invest in them as my little nieces and nephews. It is so beautiful how God is using this job experience to remind me of how much I need him and how childish I can be in my day-to-day routine. How gracious he is to me and how wonderful it is that he doesn’t give up or get frustrated with me when I keep making the same silly mistakes. God, give us grace for all the children in our lives, both big and small who so desperately need us to show them your love, grace, and compassion.

7. Kristi says:

Gema, you should find a mops (Mother Of PreSchoolers) group in your area! they were life changing for me as I stepped into the challenge of being a mom. mops.org and look, they have international groups too. it’s like a support group. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them.

8. Grace every morning says:

This was a wonderful reminder- as a step parent some days are very hard, especially when the little one you’ve cared for, prayed for and given your time to calls you “mean” or says they don’t like you. It gets exhausting ! I need to keep my eye on the big picture and love as Jesus does.