Making Room for the Poor

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Text: Deuteronomy 15:11, Proverbs 22:9, 1 Samuel 2:7-8, 1 Timothy 6:17-19, James 2:1-13, 1 John 3:17-20

We dragged a queen-sized mattress from the guest room, which could only mean one thing: showtime. Growing up, my brother and I crafted our best gymnastics routines under the forest green glow of our bonus room. Standing in line, we’d take turns tumbling and toppling to the latest Backstreet Boys hits, the mattress catching our falls. We would practice for hours, gaining confidence with our bounding and landing. Then we’d make a phone call to the neighbor kids, inviting them to our pre-dinnertime performance.

I should be the first to tell you that the show was never great. These were not Olympic backflips and handsprings; we were somersault-and-YMCA kind of kids. We’d run and flip and run and flip until the audience got bored and decided to show us they could actually do better. They could do headstands. The thing is, I’ve never been able to do a headstand. My legs are too long and my patience too thin. “Just try it!” the neighborhood kids would say. “You can do it!” they insisted.

When it comes to most things in life—and when we’re talking about how to serve those who are poor—Jesus asks us to do the same: Take the world’s promises and turn them upside down. That’s how you’ll see My promises.

In Scripture, we look upside down to see right-side up. Let’s attempt a headstand together:

“The Lord brings poverty and gives wealth;
He humbles and He exalts.
He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the garbage pile.
He seats them with noblemen
and gives them a throne of honor.”
– 1 Samuel 2:7-8

Maybe it’s the blood rushing to my head, but I’m seeing in a fresh light all the ways the Lord cares for the poor. He lifts them “from the dust” and “garbage pile.” He gives them “a throne of honor” with the noblemen. Do you see what I’m seeing? Not once do these verses mention money. True wealth has nothing to do with our bank accounts; it has to do with the riches of the Kingdom that are ours in Christ.

Does God use money to help the poor get on their feet or provide them a warm meal? Yes. Should we serve the poor among us by meeting their physical needs? Absolutely! Scripture tells us this is a nonnegotiable (1 John 3:17). The gospel calls for us to make room for the poor in our budgets and in our homes, and to welcome them into the family of God, just as God welcomes us.

Regardless of our material wealth or lack, we are all spiritually bankrupt without the lavish love and grace of God given to us in Jesus.

When we think loving the poor is too complicated—if we get bogged down in the logistics, wondering who and how and what when it comes to our time and resources—we can go to God’s Word for a reminder on how to see things gospel-side up. In his first letter to Timothy, Paul writes:

“Instruct them to do what is good, to be rich in good works, to be generous, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good reserve for the age to come, so that they may take hold of life that is real.”
– 1 Timothy 6:18-19

Generosity is more than a kind gesture; it is a lifeline that keeps us tethered to what is real, to what is eternal. When we joyfully give our resources to those in need, it reminds us that everything we have was itself a gift from the God who lifts us from our desperate need by His grace. May we be generous with our time, our homes, our money, as an outpouring of the room that has already been made for us in Christ. Amen.

SRT-John-instagram3s

86 thoughts on "Making Room for the Poor"

1. Haley Wise says:

One of the things that stuck with me when I began going to church regularly again last year was this: It’s not my money, it’s His! He just let me have it momentarily to pass on to someone that needs it!

2. Janna Seal says:

God has taken my selfish heart that only understood neediness and created in me a heart that loves generosity and giving. He flipped me on my head :) He healed my fears and demonstrated over and over that it is by His hand that I am fed and all my needs are met and that He longs to meet the needs of others through the generosity that He extends through me. This is Kingdom living.

3. Allison Gaspar says:

Such a good reminder. Thank you!

4. LYNN says:

Great scriptures to a high calling in God.

5. Marsha says:

Hi Claire, I could not agree with you more about the current state of affairs in our country. I pray for God’s protection and a renewed vision of “love thy neighbor”. I pray that our leades for wisdom and guidance

1. Marsha says:

Oops, my post got sent too soon. Anyway I pray for God to provide our leaders wisdom, guidance, and compassion when it comes to loving the poor both here and abroad. God is in control, that brings me comfort.

6. Claire Brummund says:

I am struck by how clearly the scripture speaks of caring for the poor and opening our hands to the needy in our land (Deuteronomy 15:11). This reminds me of the current state of xenophobia in our country. It saddens me to think of the ways we do not collectively welcome and care for the poor and needy in our land. How can we have more compassion collectively as the body of Christ for those whose lives have been targeted and need a sense of safety and security as much as they need food, water, and shelter?

7. Kristin says:

This devotional really spoke to me. My husband and I feel God has laid adoption on our hearts(we have 3 toddlers of our own), but logistically and financially it seems impossible. All the paperwork involved, finances and time commitments seem too much. But I was reminded that people are the most important thing, helping the poor and needy; welcoming them into your home whether you feel ready or not or have all the money or not. That is what Gods word says. Thank you SRT!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Kristin, such a sweet reminder this morning. Thanks for sharing, friend! Grateful for you.

– Stormye

2. Jo says:

Kristin, if He has laid adoption on your hearts, He will make it clear when it’s time to move forward and He will provide for every penny and paperwork obstacle. His grace is sufficient and He will part the Red Sea of paperwork and provide all the funding. The Lord clearly told us to adopt a little boy from China and we couldn’t imagine how we’d ever pay for it (because we did not have the $!) or be able to complete all the paperwork (because we are not paperwork people)! He just said, Trust Me.” So we stepped out of the boat in faith, took His hand, and He provided for every penny and every need one step at a time. It was the most amazing faith journey we’ve ever been on and it grew the faith of our 4 bio kids as well. He is faithful and will give you more than you could ask or imagine as you say, “yes” to His calling on your life to adopt!