Glorify Your Son

from the John reading plan

John 17:1-26, Isaiah 42:8, 1 John 5:20

BY Andrea Lucado

Text: John 17:1-26, Isaiah 42:8, 1 John 5:20

This has been a difficult week for me. I am heartbroken. I am utterly aching with loss. I feel upside-down in my sadness. Have you ever felt this way? Honestly, I wonder who hasn’t. What is your heart aching for today as you read these verses in John 17?

Sometimes when I find myself in the depths, cracking my Bible open is the last thing I want to do. But for some reason, today, I craved falling into Scripture. I felt that God had something for me here, in this passage. And oh, how rich this passage is, especially for the aching heart.

The hour had come for our Savior. As I read His prayer, I can almost feel His aching, His longing to protect those who’ve come to believe in Him. As He anticipated the events to come, He pleaded with the Father for the disciples He loved:

“Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You, Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.”
-John 17:11

Can you imagine being in the presence of Christ as He is praying for you? Sitting in the same room with Him, hearing Him say just before, “in this world you will have tribulation but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world,” and then watching Jesus turn His eyes heavenward and, in prayer, put your life and soul into the Father’s care?

When I read Jesus’ prayer today, something cracked open. I felt the fervent love He has for me, the fervent love He has for us all. Right after He prayed for the disciples, He prayed for those who will believe (John 17:20). Jesus prayed for you, and He prayed for me, too—for all who would come to trust in Him.

He knew this world. He lived it, walked it, saw the desperation and the brokenness. He knew what it would mean for us to be here—that we would face a seemingly endless stream of trial and tribulation. Knowing what was to come for His disciples and for who would believe, He said:

“I am not praying
that You take them out of the world
but that You protect them from the evil one.”
-John 17:15

He did not pray for our suffering to end, or for the pain and sorrow to cease. Instead, He prayed for our protection as we face these trials and circumstances. He prayed that we would not face them alone, but with the support of our community and our God.

“May they all be one,
as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You.
May they also be one in Us,
so the world may believe You sent Me.”
-John 17:21

The idea that Jesus is not only near us, but in us—not only for us, but a part of us—brings comfort to my heart as nothing else can. I in them, and You in Me” (v. 23)—this is His will for the Church.

Whatever you face today, we as believers are one in Him, and this oneness tells the world of the glory of God. Perhaps that is why writing this has felt so healing for me: it has reminded me that I am not alone in heartache. We are all still in this world, though not of it, and whether it is joy or suffering that binds us, God is glorified in our unity.

SRT-John16-Instagram23s

114 thoughts on "Glorify Your Son"

1. Kelsey says:

I am a bit behind in this study, but Tracy, if you are reading this, know that I prayed for you this morning with tears running down my cheeks. Wish I could give you a hug!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Kelsey, thank you for being such a sweet friend and sister in Christ. Grateful for you and your prayers for this community!

– Stormye

2. Danya Ho says:

-John 17:11

3. Abigail says:

This day has been immensely disheartening and has left my heart aching. As I sit at home thinking about what I should do, it’s so easy to get on my phone and jump from what I’m currently feeling. Thank you Jesus for this reading! I always remind myself how God is with me and knows what I’m going through, but it makes me so happy to know God prayed FOR ME! For my protection and well-being, and for that I am incredibly thankful. Along with that, Jesus is in me, I am one with him! And that seriously helps me in times like this. Thank you Jesus!!

4. Tammy says:

Today marks February 1st. I dread this month each year. Though my grandmother has been gone many years, two years ago I lost my miracle at the end of my first trimester. This month, I shall cling to my Jesus like never before. This heartache shall strengthen me as I trust Him to guide me thru it. I take comfort in John 17. Thank you.

5. Heather Fringer says:

I absolutely love this paragraph written by Andrea:
    I seriously cannot even begin to imagine how amazing that day will feel.

6. Ashley says:

Wow. As I read this I prayed – God make this scripture new and fresh as if it’s the first time I’ve read it. I had much of the same experience reading this passage as you did. This immense love Christ has for us, and the Love the Father has for Him. So many times I reflect wrongful characteristics in Christ because of my experience with others. This passage pointed me right back to the true, endless, LOVING character of Christ with whom I can freely come to with any prayer and no fear. And much like you I was experiencing much sadness prior to ready this scripture – and normally in my sadness yes I turn to other things – but I had a deep longing just to go read and Be with my Father. So blessed by this.

7. Rochelle Walker says:

So blessed by this. Thank you for writing out of the depths of your sadness. This was a very vulnerable thing to write, and I bet it blessed so many.

8. Kelly says:

God is in us is so much deeper than he is for us. He lives in me and works In and through me. A shift from me to him. What about those moments that I make a poor decision or choice. Does he leave… that is not what I see in scripture … I see that I am really the one pushing him away! Wow! A shift of my thinking has happened! Praise Jesus!