Glorify Your Son

from the John reading plan

John 17:1-26, Isaiah 42:8, 1 John 5:20

BY Andrea Lucado

Text: John 17:1-26, Isaiah 42:8, 1 John 5:20

This has been a difficult week for me. I am heartbroken. I am utterly aching with loss. I feel upside-down in my sadness. Have you ever felt this way? Honestly, I wonder who hasn’t. What is your heart aching for today as you read these verses in John 17?

Sometimes when I find myself in the depths, cracking my Bible open is the last thing I want to do. But for some reason, today, I craved falling into Scripture. I felt that God had something for me here, in this passage. And oh, how rich this passage is, especially for the aching heart.

The hour had come for our Savior. As I read His prayer, I can almost feel His aching, His longing to protect those who’ve come to believe in Him. As He anticipated the events to come, He pleaded with the Father for the disciples He loved:

“Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You, Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.”
-John 17:11

Can you imagine being in the presence of Christ as He is praying for you? Sitting in the same room with Him, hearing Him say just before, “in this world you will have tribulation but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world,” and then watching Jesus turn His eyes heavenward and, in prayer, put your life and soul into the Father’s care?

When I read Jesus’ prayer today, something cracked open. I felt the fervent love He has for me, the fervent love He has for us all. Right after He prayed for the disciples, He prayed for those who will believe (John 17:20). Jesus prayed for you, and He prayed for me, too—for all who would come to trust in Him.

He knew this world. He lived it, walked it, saw the desperation and the brokenness. He knew what it would mean for us to be here—that we would face a seemingly endless stream of trial and tribulation. Knowing what was to come for His disciples and for who would believe, He said:

“I am not praying
that You take them out of the world
but that You protect them from the evil one.”
-John 17:15

He did not pray for our suffering to end, or for the pain and sorrow to cease. Instead, He prayed for our protection as we face these trials and circumstances. He prayed that we would not face them alone, but with the support of our community and our God.

“May they all be one,
as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You.
May they also be one in Us,
so the world may believe You sent Me.”
-John 17:21

The idea that Jesus is not only near us, but in us—not only for us, but a part of us—brings comfort to my heart as nothing else can. I in them, and You in Me” (v. 23)—this is His will for the Church.

Whatever you face today, we as believers are one in Him, and this oneness tells the world of the glory of God. Perhaps that is why writing this has felt so healing for me: it has reminded me that I am not alone in heartache. We are all still in this world, though not of it, and whether it is joy or suffering that binds us, God is glorified in our unity.

SRT-John16-Instagram23s

114 thoughts on "Glorify Your Son"

1. Keri McCue says:

I’m thankful for passages like this. Little nuggets of wisdom as to how we, as a community of Christ, should interact and care for each other. To become ONE. To encourage and pray for one another. This is something I always need reminding of!

2. Barb says:

So they, so the world, so the love, etc. John 17 is something I am drinking deeply of this morning. The compassion and purposes of Christ in these prayers speaks volumes to me today. Love, unity, peace, joy, and reconciliation to the Father….. only possible through the Son. Thank You Lord!

3. Taylor says:

Love this devotion for today! What a beautiful image, Jesus praying for us…. I just think of the song “oh, how He loves us so, oh how He loves us…” Amen! The creator of heaven and earth cares to listen and son of god drops to his knees because he cares to pray for me.

4. Melissa Wall says:

He did not pray for our suffering to end… but protection and love from community: this rings so true… in all trials I have faced I feel God near and know He’s got me: protection.

5. Sheryl says:

Wow! These words jumped off the page today! Ch. 17 vs 5: Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began. Sometimes as I read Gods word I still wonder, now how did this whole God, Jesus thing start? Praise you Lord for continuing to reveal to me your word! Love you

6. Katalina says:

Wow, reading this scripture and devotional today, I’d like to share something for all my beautiful SRT women. If you feel up to it, Would you mind reading something I wrote on my facebook?
    This is just a snippet of my testimony and I truly believe God gave me the gift of writing to be able to tell my story, how He saved me life and hopefully help others in the process. For all those who are currently going through depression, anxiety or going through unfortunate circumstances where you feel alone or hopeless, I want to share a small part of my story to help you gain hope that God is always in control. It’s meant to be shared so pass it on if you feel it could help others you may know that need it because I desperately want to show what God has done in my life. It would mean a lot to me and I am constantly praying for all of you wonderful and strong daughters of the King <3

1. Candy says:

Beautiful writing. Thank you so much for sharing your link. May God continue to bless you as you fight back in this life. Much love!

2. Kristi says:

Thank you so much for sharing this today. You’ve conveyed in words exactly what I have been wanting to say to a loved one who is struggling with depression. I am going to pass on your post to him and trust that he will find encouragement and strength through your words and testimony.

1. Katalina says:

Thank you so much!! Please free to pass on the message because it’s meant to be shared! This is what God has called me to do and all of you <3 my best to your loved one

7. Danielle Frakes says:

I try not to fear because I know Jesus is with me. He knows me and knows the plan he has for me. I want to know him more and more each time I open the word and pray. He protects me from evil but I wish he could just take evil away from the world.

8. JoAnn says:

“I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.” John 17:20-21
    I didn’t realize Jesus prayed for us as Kaitlyn too said in the comments below…I feel SO loved today!