Servant of All

from the John reading plan

John 13:1-38, Mark 9:35, Romans 3:21-26, Psalm 31:9-10

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 13:1-38, Mark 9:35, Romans 3:21-26, Psalm 31:9-10

I’ve heard it said that suffering reveals the real you. What comes out of our mouths when life squeezes us in its vise grip is the stuff we’re really made of.

At the Last Supper, we find Jesus in the tightest situation imaginable. He knows unthinkable suffering is right around the corner. Since His disciples are still presuming He is going to lead a government takeover, it’s a burden He must carry alone. Jesus knows there will be no military coup. He will secure the Kingdom victory, but through suffering—not conquest.

In that crucible of suffering, the real Jesus shines through. We don’t catch one hint of self-pity or bitterness in His words or actions. He would soon be poured out on our behalf, yet Jesus remained faithful to who He is and what He came to do.

He never stopped teaching. Using bread and wine for an object lesson of cosmic consequences, Jesus taught truths in advance that His disciples would not grasp until He was gone (John 12:16). As modern Christ followers, we have access to this Upper Room as a classroom. We’re able to wrestle with the lessons of His atoning sacrifice every time we come to take communion.

He never stopped serving. Knowing that within hours His own would be nailed to a tree, Jesus took the time to wash His disciples’ feet. “So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done for you” (John 13:14-15). This moment wasn’t mere ritual. Jesus was showing them how to care for one another after He departed.

He never stopped loving. When I study the Last Supper, I am most grateful for this truth: “Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end” (John 13:1). To the end. Our Savior never stopped loving the undeserving, helpless sinners He came to die for. He never chose hatred or contempt. He didn’t shame or ostracize Judas, the one who would sell Him out for a few silver coins. Instead of pointing His finger at him, Jesus offered him bread.

When hard-pressed on every side, Jesus never resented the sacrifice He chose to make on our behalf. It was in His suffering that our Savior displayed His true strength.

“But he was pierced because of our rebellion,
crushed because of our iniquities;
punishment for our peace was on him,
and we are healed by his wounds.”
– Isaiah 53:5

SRT-John16-Instagram17s

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

67 thoughts on "Servant of All"

1. Charise Walter says:

“Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God…”
    This spoke so powerfully to me, Jesus was so established in his identity, in what he was called to do and be. He walked towards his calling, showing us how to walk as disciples and children of God. He was able to do what he did because he knew who he was. There was no question of whether he “had the goods, did he hear right? What if I’ve got it wrong” the things I know hold me back. We have what Jesus had at his disposal, he promised us this further on in scripture…..I just forget and let my insecurities speak louder than his voice.

2. Shannon says:

This morning before I even had a chance to read the Bible verses or the writing, God overwhelmed me with His presence and in that moment I was overcome with gratitude for a Savior that loves me despite my failures. As some have already commented, the timing of God is perfect and I love the way that he confirms truths he is speaking from different sources and different encounters throughout my day. Reading this it reminded me of my encounter with God this morning and how loved I feel when I know that he is speaking to ME…The “undeserving, helpless sinner”

3. Kristy says:

This is a long post-sorry!
    I didn’t get up early enough this morning to do my Bible Study and devotional so I did it as soon as I got to work, before my day actually started. Wow! God’s timing is perfect isn’t it?

Suffering reveals the real you. What comes out of our mouth when life is rough is the stuff we are really made of.

So my earlier saying about God’s timing, well this morning I had just picked up my coffee cup from the Keurig and bam! dropped it to the floor. I got a burn on my arm but my son, my 2 year old son was in the floor playing so he got burns on his neck and arms. He screamed and cried, I cried because I knew the pain He was going through.
    I immediately forgot about my own pain and picked my son up to care for him.
    God is just like that! During the last supper, Jesus knew His near suffering but there was no self-pity there. He kept on teaching and loving!

Back to the old saying-Suffering reveals the real you. The after moments, when everything was calm and Kreed and I had stopped crying I immediately told him, there must be a blessing coming our way! I have found new strength and faith here recently, since putting God first and isn’t it just amazing what a little Bible reading can do to your soul!

Phil and I had a rough patch that we walked right through about 4 years ago-through a lot of praying and patience we got our answer-a positive answer. We are currently house hunting again but nothing has come on the market that we love. I know in God’s perfect timing the home He wants us to have will come our way.

Whatever you may be going through, just hold on……if you truly and wholly believe, things will turn around for you. Just let go wholly, and wholly give it to God!!

4. Christina says:

He never stopped loving. How convicting! I know when I find myself in a seemingly serious crunch at times, I get so focused on how to handle the impending “doom” that I don’t want to deal with the “petty” concerns (or lack of concerns) of others. I feel justified in pushing people away with no explanation, even if for a few short moments, in order to focus on the issue at hand. But Jesus knew that God had all of this in His hand, even if it wasn’t going to occur in a way that Jesus humanly liked. His ability to love in the face of death is a sure example of His faith and an encouragement to us as we face the unknown for His glory.

5. Ginger says:

No man alive but Jesus could’ve chosen this for himself and not have been hateful, resentful, or smug about doing what Jesus did to save us all! When I think of the magnitude of what He did for us up on that cross, my head gets dizzy with fear, and then I’m greatly humbled by it all. I am so grateful that Jesus was the One…because we’d all be dead if we had to depend on one another! He’s never turned His back on us once, even though we still take Him to task today! Lord, please forgive me for taking you for granted, ignoring you, disrespecting you in my thoughts, words, and actions. Please forgive my inequities and my digression, and lift up my eyes to never forget what You’ve gone through to get us all here. Amen.

6. Katherine says:

Sisters,
    If you could lift up a situation that I’m dealing with at work. I am praying for the Lord to replace
    “hearts of stone with hearts of flesh” in my middle school students. Only the Lord can make this change in them, and the need is great. His is able to do more than we are even able to comprehend!

1. Ginger says:

Amen, sister…Amen! Our children these days in general are more hardened than the adults in this world! I’m praying…

2. Justine Fern says:

praying for you Katherine! the Lord is in the business of changing hearts and I know He loves when our prayers match His will for our lives! praying you are able share Jesus in tangible ways at school. and also praying this weekend would give you rest and time to ready your heart for next week.

1. Angelita says:

Praying for you and the students!

7. Colleen says:

Wow!! Erin, these are great thoughts!! I love how Jesus loved and served under the most intense pressure. Even on the cross we see him caring for his mother, forgiving the ones torturing him. You have pointed me again to the depths of His goodness. Well written!!

8. Kate says:

Jesus, thank you for this example of suffering. I confess to not believing that you can understand my own, but You do, because You bore the worst of it when You died for my sins. Draw close today, and help my heart and mind to accept and believe this truth.