The Father’s Son

from the John reading plan

John 12:1-50, Psalm 118:25-26, Isaiah 6:10, Isaiah 53:1

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 12:1-50, Psalm 118:25-26, Isaiah 6:10, Isaiah 53:1

There’s an old church joke that the answer to every question in Sunday school is “Jesus.” As I am trying to teach my boys the gospel, I’ve realized how true this is. The answer to almost every major question really is Jesus.

Unfortunately, one of my sons has a terrible time remembering names. Our conversations might go a little something like this:

Me: Who came to save us?
My boy: God!

Me: Who died on the cross for our sins?
My boy: God!

Me: And what’s God’s other name?
My boy: [Silence]

I’m constantly wondering how he can possibly forget the Great Sunday School Answer. But when I read through John chapter 12, I’m see he’s not the only one.

Modern culture often wants to distance Jesus from God, to turn Jesus into a great teacher or a prophet. If He were just a good teacher, a great man—anything but the Son of God, and God incarnate—then we could pick and choose from what He said. We wouldn’t have to submit to Him.

When we read the New Testament we see this is not just a figment of modern culture; it was a part of first-century culture, too. The religious elite attacked Jesus for blasphemy because they understood that He was claiming to be God. They knew what Jesus meant when He said He was God’s “only Son” (John 3:16), doing His Father’s will (John 6:38). Up until that point, no one else would have dared to call God their “Father” (John 5:18).

In this chapter, we again see Jesus fulfilling His calling as the Son of God: speaking life to all who will listen, shining light in the darkness, and bringing glory to God the Father. We even catch a glimpse of the relationship between God the Father and God the Son, as Jesus wrestles with what’s to come:

“Now My soul is troubled. What should I say—Father, save Me from this hour? But that is why I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name!”

Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again!” (John 12:27-28).

It is a precious insight into the Trinity, our relational God. He has come at great cost to Himself in order to seek relationship with us, offering us the resurrection and the life.

No wonder Mary was led to worship Him. No wonder the Greeks wanted to see Jesus (John 12:20). No wonder the crowd sang, “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord” (Matthew 23:39). God—Jesus—truly is the answer to our most important questions, the remedy for our greatest fears.

SRT-John16-Instagram16s

Carolyn Denny dabbled in the Navy, politics, business, and publishing before she discovered her true calling: household management (or so it seems as she raises three boys and a baby girl with her husband, Josh). In those precious moments tucked between bedtimes and carpools, Carolyn loves to teach the Bible and write about how God shows up in her messy world. She and her family live in Nashville, Tennessee.

86 thoughts on "The Father’s Son"

1. Jet says:

I think what strikes me most in this reading is how *human* Jesus is. As he comes to realize his time is coming to an end, he is uncomfortable and upset but continues to praise the name of his Father. I think a lot of times we can get caught up in how perfect Christ was and feel like he can’t relate to our situations – but he came to Earth to live in flesh and then gave that up all for us! He still had emotions and hardships – but he continued to praise the name of God. I am humbled and forever thankful for the sacrifice of Christ’s life, death and ultimately resurrection. He as one of us, gave up everything so that we may be saved. Sisters I hope we are all covered in the beauty of our Father’s grace this and use it to spread the eternal love of the Kingdom. Much love to you all!

1. DebbieinAZ says:

Amen.

2. Keri McCue says:

I love this reflection on today’s reading! It’s so true. We sometimes forget that He felt everything that we feel. He struggled with the same temptations. And the same power that raise Him from the dead is living in us! That’s truly something to be grateful for!!

3. Sal says:

Thank you for putting into words what I couldn’t.❤

4. Leslie says:

Amen! Thank you, Jet!

2. mandy says:

It really blows my mind that the leaders could recognize that Jesus was sent from God but alas our hearts are selfish. This weekend we had a worship service to honor my mom because she passed away a week ago today. My mom made a point to use ever iota of her life as an act of worship to God and I knew that is what she wanted for her funeral. That is my prayer for my life, the life of my husband, my daughter and those who come to our Bible study, that we would live fearlessly. After all, he did not come to judge us but those who do not accept will be judged. Hosanna in the highest!

1. Heather (MNmomma) says:

So very sorry for your loss Mandy…..it sounds like your Mom was a pretty amazing lady! Prayers over your family <3

1. DebbieinAZ says:

What a beautiful way to celebrate the life of a godly woman! My prayers are with you and your family as you go through this time of loss. May God give you peace.

2. cj8of8 says:

I’m so so sorry for your loss Mandy. Prayerful for you and your family. Jesus, please protect and keep all your faithful so that they come to see you in a new and wondrous way. What shall we say then, save us from this hour? Father, glorify your name!
      Hugs sister.

1. Sandy W. says:

So sorry for your loss Mandy. Your mother’s life is a beautiful testimony. Keeping you and your family in my prayers

1. Dell says:

I told my groehmatdnr how you helped. She said, “bake them a cake!”

2. Clara says:

That’s cleared my thoughts. Thanks for coutgibntinr.

3. Sarah_Joy says:

I sense that often I know about Jesus more than I KNOW him and have a true relationship with him. Am I seeing and not believing?

Give me faith to trust what You say. That you’re good and your love is great. I’m broken inside. I give you my life. https://youtu.be/P8PLBQrzWQ8

1. Candy says:

Hi Sarah_Joy,
      Jesus wants to have that kind of relationship with you too! Just keep studying the scriptures and He will speak to your heart!

2. Heather Fringer says:

Sarah, I know exactly what you mean. I study scripture, do my daily readings and am getting better with prayer plus attend and LOVE church and still don’t have near that connection with God that most do. That’s something that I dream of! Hearing his voice. But one day I heard on the radio that He doesn’t always speak to each person in the same way. I listen to Word Fm a lot and sometimes a song will come on that I just need to hear and it will play every time that I turn on that radio that day and I take that as God speaking to me! Like, “okay God, I get it!” lol I hope this helps somewhat!

1. Leslie says:

Don’t compare your faith with what you think others’ faith looks like. Trust and grow your own relationship with him. Heard a great line once and it truly applies to this and many other areas of life: comparison is the thief of joy. Walk in the joy that you have a relationship with the almighty God!

1. Heather Fringer says:

That is a great line! Thank you!

4. Kelsie says:

The one thing that stood out to me this morning is how many times Jesus repeats that he is the light. That the light is here to save the people from eternal darkness. I so often hear this that I don’t stop to think about what it means anymore. As I pause to reflect, I think of all the ways Jesus is the light. Jesus is the light so we don’t feel alone in a world full of darkness. Jesus leads us out of the darkness when we follow his light. Jesus illuminates our life, all we have to do is ask. This is what will always amaze me. We have this mighty and powerful God who is urning for a relationship with us. HE wants to have a relationship with a sinner like me. He is patiently waiting for me to start the conversation.

1. Naomi LaBoo says:

Amen

2. Heather Fringer says:

That is the beauty of our loving God ❤

5. churchmouse says:

It all comes down to this : Do I believe He is Who He says He is? Based on my answer to that question : how then shall I live? I fully own the consequences of my answers.

1. Brandi says:

I love this! Thank you!

2. Naomi LaBoo says:

3. Leslie says:

Oh so true! I think to all the things the world is throwing at us these days…politics, same sex marriage, divorce being rampant, the list is endless. But the bottom line to all these divisive issues is exactly that…do I really believe what Jesus says is true? When I believe then I don’t have to fear, I don’t have to doubt, I can walk in trust.

6. Kathy says:

SRT Sisters, please pray for me today. I am a high school art teacher (in a public school) and we are starting a new semester today – 91 new students!! Besides just the logistics of having 91 students during the day is my desire to really, really love them the way the Jesus loves me. So many times in John we have read Jesus’ description of Himself as light. That’s what I want to be for these kiddos – I want them to see Jesus in me. I want them to hear Jesus when I speak. I want them to feel the love of Jesus when they walk into my classroom. I don’t just want to teach them about art, I want them to learn about the God who created art, who created creativity!
    Life is chaotic and life with teenagers is like chaos on crack. But, when they walk into my room I want the peace of God and the Spirit of God to feel that space.
    Thank you for your prayers.

1. Amy says:

As the mom of 2 teenagers, this meant so much to me. Praying for your semester to be the best one yet!

2. churchmouse says:

All those things you desire for your students, God desires also. Success is guaranteed. You will plant the seeds. Thankful you are there.

3. Alexandra says:

Love this Kathy! I echo your same feelings and desires, except I teach early childhood. Sometimes our days are such a blur with 15 four-year-olds that I feel like there’s no time to do anything more than “put out fires”. But, they came to my mind while I was reading too and I just want to love them and be a safe haven for them.

4. Kelsie says:

As a fellow teacher, I pray the same prayer. Remember Kathy, if things get hairy today, find your strength and grace in Jesus!

5. Jonelle Wuttke says:

Praying that all of us treat all those we encounter today with this a Spirit of light. Your heart will shine through in your classroom. Be blessed.

6. Laura Andersen says:

Praying for you Kathy! This is my prayer for my middle school students as well!

7. Sandy says:

Praying every corner of your classroom be filled with His Spirit…that it is undeniable and palpable! May they leave your classroom every day in a wake of joy and love as you teach them and as you represent Jesus to them through your actions.

8. Lynne says:

Kathy, I am praying for you. Thank you SRT sisters for being there for each other.

9. Maggie says:

Praying the blood of Jesus over each student you teach!

10. Leslie says:

I’m behind in my reading but am so thankful for Christian teachers in a public school. You ARE a light and I am praying for you. Thank you for your obedience to shine…

7. 43 for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.

This got me this morning. Lord, I confess this is my heart. Forgive me & train my heart to want more of you.

1. Kristine L says:

This verse stood out to me too. More Jesus, less me!

2. DebbieinAZ says:

Amen. Lord may we all strive to bring glory to You in our lives, instead of seeking our own.

3. Naomi LaBoo says:

This verse stood out for me as well!

4. Leslie says:

It got to me too. Hate that I often fear man more than God ! Praying your same prayer….

8. Loida says: