The Light of the World

from the John reading plan

John 8:1-59, 1 John 1:5-7, Romans 2:25-29

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 8:1-59, 1 John 1:5-7, Romans 2:25-29

I used to be a morning person, when mornings used to be quiet, solitary, slow. This year they’ve been abrupt, noisy, shoving—everything mornings should not be. I am disgruntled while I tie my shoes. It’s barely past 5am. I know mothers and wives and fathers and farmers and workers all over the world wake up this early, but I am self-employed and childless and have convinced myself I’m owed uninterrupted sleep until at least 6am. Our dog does not agree, and in fact, seems to think the fastest way to my heart right now is through her leash. She noses me until I relent and meet her at the front door.

Outside, the moon is a pregnant belly, super and bright, shining the whole still-dark neighborhood over. How strange, I think, that the Son of God would call Himself the “light of the world,” when the most constant earthly source of light disappears every night, then reemerges as varying sizes and shapes, a mere reflection of the original source.

But this morning I remember the pillar of fire by night and the cloud by day (Exodus 13:21-22); I remember the star shining in the east (Matthew 2:1-2), the day the sun stood still (Joshua 10:12-13), and the day the earth went dark (Matthew 27:45-54). I think about how the God of the universe created the orbs and commands them even now. He is the One who sets clouds the size of a man’s fist in the sky and makes it rain for forty days and forty nights (Genesis 7:11-12). Storms cease at the sound of His voice (Mark 4:35-41).

Jesus tells us, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12). But the kind of of light He offers, is not of the natural, earthly sort. His light is supernatural and He freely offers it to whomever would follow Him.

Yes, Jesus is the light of the world, but when our hope is in anything or anyone other than Him, the world can go grow terribly dark in a hurry. I tend to believe Jesus is near and present when I can clearly see His hand at work in my life. But when I cannot see Jesus at work in my life, He seems absent, distant and busy, too tied up with more important things—more important people—than me.

But this morning, the supermoon shines a deceptive light on my path, blue, dim, shadowed. Not sunlight, but still of the sun—whether I can see it or not. Walking with the light of the world is like that, too, I think to myself. I am still walking in darkness but I know the light exists.

I come back home to a still, dark, quiet house, with a somewhat less rambunctious pup. She snores beside me on the floor and I drink my coffee slowly, quietly. I have the light of life, I think to myself, even today, in this season that feels dark in many ways. I have the light of life because I follow Jesus, and He never fails to shine, even when His light feels hidden by this world and the brokenness within it.

He is the One, true light of this world—the sun pales in comparison to the light of His presence. Even darkness is not dark to Him (Psalm 139:11-12).

I light a candle and the room, once dark, is light again.

SRT-John16-Instagram10s

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, tweets @lorewilbert, and posts photos @loreferguson. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

94 thoughts on "The Light of the World"

1. Bell says:

Thank you for this, how blessed we are to have the light of Life!

2. Terra says:

I was kind of struck by John 8:31-59 … Jesus himself – the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE, who set the stars, moon and sun in place – is speaking to the people, yet they are relying on the fact that Abraham is their Father as their sense of ‘rightness’. It got me to thinking … How often do I do the same ? How often do I have some sense of accomplishment, righteousness, worthiness, title, etc. because of some earthly way, yet I can no NOTHING unless God Himself permits it. No weight loss book/success/failure, no university degree, no professional title .. none of this can bring me any further standing before my God … the blood of Christ is my ONLY hope, my ONLY assurance – it’s all that God sees when I stand before Him.

1. Kelsey Smith says:

Terra! Thank you for writing this…I was struck by the same simplicity of that concept. John 54: Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’

Jesus deflects all ego and reflection of self, even as the Jews allude to Him the most disrespectful statement about his character: having a demon. He simply does not even address that. I, personally, can’t even fathom someone saying that to me and me not standing up for my “non-demon like character.” Right? But Jesus shifts the conversation back on God – saying God is the ultimate judge. Ive struggled a lot with self ego and self expectations lately with my career…this study today reminded me that following the simplicity of all who is holy will be more fulfilling than any career. It’s a big pill to swallow, but somehow I find comfort. She Reads Truth is the biggest blessing! Thank God for you guys, the women of SRT!

2. Cheri says:

Thank you, Terra, for this! I needed these words exactly this morning! I’ve been “striving” so hard lately…. I’m in a transition phase, trying to figure out what I’m supposed to “do” with the rest of my life. I’m a fitness instructor, and I am struggling with Plantar’s Fasciitis, and I’ve been fighting with it and feeling so overwhelmed by it…. but, is it just His way of slowing me down as I transition into the next phase of life? Is it His way of showing me that He is all that really matters… making me focus on Him first so He can truly show me what’s next? I needed to be reminded today that it’s not at all about me…. It’s about Him, and Him alone!!

3. Heather Fringer says:

John 8:12 is a great reminder for someone who is struggling. Anyone who follows Him wo never walk in darkness but will always have the light of life ❤

4. Carly says:

I loved Lore’s creative writing and the metaphor of the moon reflecting the sun just as we can reflect the light of the Son. But I also had a separate thought about timing when I read John 8 this morning. I was saw how John has referenced Jesus’s “hour” a few times now since we started the book. (John 8:20 These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come). And a few other verses as well speak to Jesus working in complete faith of God’s timing. It’s a good reminder for me to replicate Jesus by waiting on God and trusting in His perfect timing. He’s got this!

1. Jen says:

I noticed that too! “His hour had not yet come”. Let us wait patiently. Gods ways are perfect and he is always on time.

2. Charlotte says:

What a perfectly timed reminder for me. My husband and I are in a season of waiting right now that seems impossible to bear, but I have to continue to trust His will before my desires. Not easy to do but so worthwhile in the end.

3. Caroline says:

yes! I also loved John 7:6 – it almost made me chuckle! “My time is not yet come… for you any time will do.” He knows us all too well…..

5. Gema Muniz says:

Is crazy how darkness brings fear to our hearts, but the moment we turn the light on all fear dissapears and we feel comfort in our hearts. How awesome is to know that God is our light, our guide, our comfort. Maybe this is what he meant all along as him being the light. We fear the unknown, dread the dark moments in our lives but feel so much comfort knowing that God is lighting the path we walk on. Oh, how great are you lord! May we never forget to sign your light in our lives. God bless you all sisters.

1. Lydia says:

I love this! Thanks for sharing – the moment we turn on the light, all fear disappears! so true.

6. Kelly says:

Famtastic reminder of the light always is bright when walking with Jesus. It is true. His light is a lamp unto my feet… I am always in need of that light to give me direction. Even today…direct my path today and always!

7. Christina says:

I love the truth that Jesus is lighting our way, even when our way seems dark and dim. The darker the night, the darker the circumstance, the dimmer the light need be in order to be seen as a guide. While He may not shine His full glory into a dark situation and blind the participant with that glory, He does give just enough light to guide the way. We simply must pray for the awareness to see His guidance. What an awesome way God uses to draw us closer to Him in the darkness!

8. Kristy says:

I think John 8:12-59 just became my favorite passages!! Jesus’ message was so so powerful. In verse 25 (…even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.), He reminds us that He is unchanging!
    Thankfully we have Him as our light. A permanent light in this dark world is absolutely what we all need!