A Prophet from Galilee

from the John reading plan

John 7:1-53, Leviticus 23:39-41, Joel 2:28-29

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 7:1-53, Leviticus 23:39-41, Joel 2:28-29

When I was a young girl, I loved to visit my father’s elementary school. He was the principal, and being the principal’s daughter made me feel special. I especially loved the times he sent me on errands. I would walk into the cafeteria or library, looking like any other student. But when the staff learned who I was—and that I’d been sent by my father, the principal—it made all the difference. All that he represented was attached to me.

I love that the book of John sets itself apart from the other Gospels in the way it showcases Jesus as the Son of God. While Matthew, Mark, and Luke together have a handful of instances in which Jesus refers to Himself as “sent” by God, John records more than thirty. As Jesus talked to the crowds—and in particular, to the Jewish leaders—He used some version of these words: “Him who sent me… the One who sent me.”

Jesus’ choice of words was purposeful. The Jewish people knew that God had promised to send a Savior. It’s amazing to me that Jesus would tell them so plainly, so many times, that He was the “sent” One. In chapter 7 alone, those words appear five times:

“My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me” (John 7:16).
“… but He who is seeking the glory of the One who sent Him, He is true… ” (John 7:18).
“I know Him, because I am from Him, and He sent Me” (John 7:29).
“For a little while longer I am with you, then I go to Him who sent Me” (John 7:33).
And this one:  “I have not come of Myself, but He who sent me is true…” (John 7:28).

God the Father had been true to His promise. He had sent His Son for the salvation of mankind.  Yet, many who walked and talked with Jesus—who heard Him testify repeatedly that He was the sent One—did not believe.

So many precious truths are repeated this way throughout the Bible, and I can’t help but wonder at just how often I’m slow to believe them. For instance, while some version of “Do not fear” appears hundreds of times throughout Scripture, there are still countless circumstances arising in day-to-day life that tend to stoke fear deep within my heart. The Bible is replete with assurances of peace and joy despite what’s happening around us. But how long does it take to believe those assurances in a given situation? God trumpets His love for us, unconditional and eternal, a love unsurpassed by any human love we could ever experience. Yet, when we feel the sting of rejection from a friend or loved one, we suddenly feel alone.

No matter how many promises God has made to us, they are all made complete in Jesus. He was sent from God for our salvation, making us daughters of the King. We can believe Him. And when we do, receiving His promises as His children, we bring Him glory (2 Corinthians 1:20).

SRT-John16-Instagram9s

Kim Cash Tate is the author of several books, including Though I Stumble (2016) and Cling: Choosing a Lifestyle of Intimacy with God (2017). A former practicing attorney, she has a passion for studying and teaching the Word of God. Kim lives in St. Louis with her husband and their two young adult children.

65 thoughts on "A Prophet from Galilee"

1. Cheri says:

My very favorite statement in this is, “God keeps His word. If a promise is given just once in the Bible, He is faithful to fulfill it. By His grace, He often repeats those promises, giving added assurance to our hearts. With faith, we can stand on those promises and believe, because there is another promise that’s often repeated: our God is true (John 7:28-29).” I love that He only has to promise us once, but He knows us well enough to know that we aren’t always good with just once. Don’t we all need to be reminded over and over again? I wish, with all my heart, that once was enough for me. Why can’t once be enough? And don’t we, as humans, feel like we have to repeat ourselves when we make a promise? How often do we repeat our promises to convince someone that we’re sincere? I’m listening to “Oceans” right now, and she just sang, “You’ve never failed, and You won’t start now.” I want to rest in that. I want to believe that He has never failed, so He won’t start now. I don’t want to limit Him. He’s limitless!! Praise be to Him that He is limitless!! Help me, Father, to hear Your promises and to believe them!

2. Heather Fringer says:

Something that really jumped out to me today was when we are told to stop judging according to outward appearances, rather judge according to righteous judgement.

Also how we were reminded that if God gives us a promise in the Bible, He is faithful to fulfill it. By His grace He often repeats those promises giving added assurance to our hearts. When we stand on those promises and believe that we are daughters of the king, it will bring Him glory.

3. Kelly says:

Today I sit in the middle of a new business and a full time job, mom (my favorite role of all) and wife too. I am riding a really busy train right now Yet trusting that God will direct me to my next steps. God is faithful… I wonder where He will take me. Praying for sustainable energy, rest, my boys and for what is to come. God only knows… my only question would be am I willing to let go of my new business if God calls me out of it. Ohh that hits close… I would drop it but a really large and evident door would need to be slammed… God has a plan and a good one so I trust and follow Him. Lord you know my heart and what passion has been moving in my heart. Do your will and change my heart to your will! Amen!

1. Ginger says:

Amen, Jelly! Keep thanking God for how far he’s already brought you! You already know He’s a provider in all ways. He’s your business, as He’s mine, all of our business!!! We’re about our Father’s business!!! Lol!!!

1. Ginger says:

Sorry for the typo, Kelly!

4. Megan says:

These readings have been difficult for me lately due to circumstances in my life. I’m working in a dead end job, was recently rejected from a PhD program, and try as I might have not been successful in finding a relationship. It’s difficult to see Gods plan for me and his fulfilled promises when all I experience is rejection and roadblocks. It’s difficult to rectify what I know is true and what I seem to be experiencing.

1. Lauren says:

Megan, my friend, you are not alone in the struggle! (Coming from another vocationally discontent and relationally single lady.) But I’ve learned to tell my story a different way. The way our Dad might see it. I’m available to mentor young women in my church, free to move as God moves, bless others with hospitality, and seek adventures with friends! It’s hard submitting our desires to the King but, despite my circumstances, I TRUST Him, Megan. And I choose to trust Him again every day. Do you?

1. Taylor says:

“For greater things are yet to come…”

1. Lisa says:

“Perhaps you were born for such a time as this…” Esther 4:14

2. Sarah D. says:

Praying for you!! A great book to read for you right now would be Uninvited by Lydia TerkHearst . Talks about how to handle rejection and that God always invites us in!

3. Gema Muniz says:

Sweet Megan at times I have also felt rejected by this world. We make so many plans and put our hopes and worth on careers, relationships, and degrees that we forget to see God. Is it possible that your plans are not Gods plans? I know is hard to see the positive in the middle of the storm, but i will recommend for you to step away from your personal issues in focus on other things. As one of our sisters mentioned focus your time on how God can use you by serving others and always remember to be the light in your job no matter how difficult it is. Megan God has great plans for your life you just need to let him take the wheel and allow him to work in you. I pray for you to learn to let go and allow God to guide you. From a sister that was once in the same place. God bless you.

4. Ginger says:

Megan, your story sounds too much like mine! But there is hope! For you, for everyone!

I was single for many years and am now a newlywed, thanks be to God…I didn’t think He was listening but He was and sent me a powerful mate who believes in Him and testifies daily how far God has brought him! Constant encouragement, and I love God for sending such a man into my life and the lives of my children!

Before my new mate, I was working a dead end job, moved on from that job and currently into another dead end job, lol, that I actually LOVE doing and very passionate about! Problem? Not enough work for me to do so I’m working on an on-call basis. This means not enough money coming in, etc, and my new hubby is fully retired.

I’m in the process of working on a few business ideas, with no capital, lol. But I’m hopeful and praying that God answers, because He’s a God that hears and answers prayer!

But, I have to look where God brought me from: being a single parent, a dead end job, homelessness before meeting my husband, and no income.

Now in Jesus, I have 2 business degrees, lol, a mind for business opportunities that never stop flowing, a supportive mate, a house completely paid for, and a job I love and very passionate about, never hungry, never thirsty, in Jesus or in my home, etc…all blessings. Please count your blessings and God will show you how far He’s brought you because he didn’t bring you this far to leave you, please believe that.

I will pray for you, also in Jesus’s name!

5. Kersti says:

You aren’t alone.
      I know these feelings all too well. I’ll share only what I’ve been told, is pray for what hurts and what you’d like to see change.

If that is hard then ask why to Jesus. For myself, I finally am at a point that I truly want someone to share my life with, I’m in my thirties and never would have imagined saying I am still single at this age. It’s really hard for me to pray for my husband, it hurts and it reminds me of the rejections, yet I know God will be faithful. If he’s placed these desires in our hearts, we need to let him meet us there. Even in our pain, loneliness and dead end jobs. Praying for you.

5. Candy says:

Wow thank you for this Kim. I think that a lot of times God uses our fears to get our attention. When I refused to compromise my ethics last April I was fired from my job as a hospital RN. My patient had the right to know all of his options for his cancer treatments. Administration didn’t want any referrals outside of their hospital community-a small hospital without a colorectal surgeon! Suddenly I was stripped of my identity! If I’m not a nurse who am I?! I felt lost, paralyzed and fearful for what was to come. My husband said- take your time, don’t rush into anything. With that I had permission to turn to God and say “what now?” God used my emptiness, my fears to cause me to focus more on Him. Every day I struggle to hear His voice over mine. I’m stubborn, impatient and love to make plans and lists! “What is Your plan for me Lord?! Our money is dwindling and it makes my stomach twist and hurt. Then I read- “do not fear”. I know that I am even more special to Him who cares for every bird. I can look back in my life and see countless times when His hand was at work in my life. He loves me more than I could ever love myself. I am His masterpiece made new in Christ Jesus to do the good works He has planned for me. Ephesians 2:10. Dear Jesus I am turning 60 on Saturday and I’m scared. Where did all my time go?! I have so many places I want to visit, so many people I want to know and help and it feels like I won’t have the time or the $$ to do it. And God says “do not fear”. You have the answers Lord, not me. Please help me to keep my eyes on you as you guide my steps through this very unfamiliar territory. Amen

1. Angela says:

Continue to trust Him and allow Him to do more than you can even imagine. Praying for you, Candy!

1. Candy says:

Thank you Angela!

2. Ginger says:

Amen, Candy…PREACH!!!!! Amen AGAIN!!!!

6. Sarah D. says:

Thankful that God is faithful even when we do not believe or forget His goodness. Also if you all could please pray for me, I stayed up too late last night finishing homework (bad decision on my part i guess) and didn’t feel well to go to schoo today…please pray that I feel better, get some work done, and not make this mistake again/manage my time better. Love you all!

7. Bridget says:

Did those questioning where Jesus “came from” not know his birthplace was Bethlehem and that he was from the line of David? Thoughts?

1. Kimone says:

He was conceived in Galilee and was birthed in Bethlehem as promised. I’d like to say He hailed from both places hence the division. But rightfully Bethlehem since that’s where HE was born. Yet he had roots in Galilee, I’d like to assume that’s where His parents were from, that’s where they lived but Joseph had roots in Bethlehem since that’s where His family line came from. We have no information as to where Mary was from.
      Hope I didn’t ramble too much and you got the point.

8. Erica says:

I praise God for being the one love that never fails. And to be reminded that his promises are always fulfilled. Praise the Lord!