The Bread of Life

from the John reading plan

John 6:1-71, Acts 3:22-23, Psalm 29:10-11

BY Andrea Lucado

Text: John 6:1-71, Acts 3:22-23, Psalm 29:10-11

The day after Jesus miraculously multiplied loaves and fish, the crowd He fed went looking for Him. They loaded into boats and stalked Jesus across the Sea of Galilee. When they found Him, Jesus knew the real reason they had come: “You are looking for Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the loaves and were filled. Don’t work for the food that perishes but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you” (John 6:26-27).

The crowds didn’t yet understand the meaning of the Bread Jesus spoke of, so they took Him literally and hoped He would perform the miracle again. They begged, “Sir, give us this bread always!” (v. 34).

It sounds demanding, right? A little superficial? How could these people stand before the Son of God who offered them eternal life and demand more barley loaves instead?

It sounds ridiculous, but it also sounds familiar. I’ve done this before with my prayers and requests. I have often begged for bread (and when I am asking Him for bread, it’s the lower-case bread). I am asking for what I want instead of Jesus Himself. Because, admittedly, what I want is often not Jesus.

Our conversations might go something like this:

Me: I want a new job! I hate this one!
Jesus: Here is contentment. It will put your soul at rest. This is what you need. Not a new job.

Me: I want a husband now because everyone else I know is getting married!
Jesus: Here is trust. Trust in me and our relationship will deepen.

Me: I don’t know what to do. Give me a sign!
Jesus: Here I am. My Spirit lives inside of you, guiding you all the time.

I need the same explanation the crowd did that day when Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.”

The Bread of Life is so much more than the bread I ask for. It endures (v. 27). It gives life to the whole world (v. 33). It is given freely to those who believe (v. 29). Those who eat it will abide in Christ, and Christ will abide in them (v. 56).

The true miracle of the Bread of Life is that Jesus is all we need. All that other stuff we are hoping will fill our bellies up? It is nothing compared to Christ Himself.

After a bit of refining and a lot of grace, my hope is that we will look up one day and realize that our prayers for perishable things can be simplified into one prayer. May we grow to want only one thing and passionately learn to pray, “Give us Jesus, always!”

SRT-John16-Instagram8s

114 thoughts on "The Bread of Life"

1. Danya Ho says:

2. Cheri says:

You know, sometimes I forget the power that we as believers have available to tap into. I really like Psalm 29:10-11. I like the reminder that we can ask for strength and peace. So often, as I’m going through the day-to-day, struggling with the little things thrown in my path, I forget that His power is available to us ALWAYS… not just in the big things, but also in the little things… dealing with family and friends, dealing with a messy house that still needs undecorated from Christmas, dealing with a hurt foot that I know time will heal (but I lack the patience and peace to wait for it), and the list could go on. I forget to start my day asking for His strength and His peace! So, today, I’m going to make a brand new start. Papa, I lay the dailies (the little day-to-day struggles) at Your feet, and I ask You to meet me where I am today and give me Your strength and Your peace to make it through today. How amazing is it that You are our Daily Bread!! All we have to do is be near and ask!! Thank you, Father! Amen!!

1. kara grace says:

I just read that aloud, thank you. I too am going to make a brand new start! Amen!

2. Bethany says:

Thank you for these words, this prayer. Such a familiar place for me to be and a sincere prayer for our daily life ❤️

3. Ginger says:

So awesome that we have Jesus always…thank you, Jesus, for being everything I need and more.

4. Abby says:

The word passion keep repeatedly popping up on front of me, I am so excited to see what the Lord has in store that has to do with my passion :)

5. Amanda Norton says:

This song is what came to mind after today’s reading. I’m so thankful for these devotional readings.

6. Heather Fringer says:

May we grow to want only one thing and passionately learn to pray, “Give us Jesus, ALWAYS!” So calming.

7. Megan Taylor says:

Today’s message has breathed new life in me. Thank you, SRT ladies and thank the Lord our God for sending our Precious Jesus.

8. Vs 11 ” and they all ate as much as they wanted” then in the next verse , Jesus has them gather all of the baskets with the leftovers…12!! I just chuckle every time I read this because God didn’t just make enough, he made plenty and all they could ever need. That is what He can do in our souls with His Bread of life. He can fill us to overflowing and have leftovers to pour over into those around us!

1. Leslie says:

Me too!!! Our God is ABUNDANT and gives beyond our imagining!