Glory on Display

from the John reading plan

John 2:1-25, Psalm 104:14-15, 1 Peter 4:11

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 2:1-25, Psalm 104:14-15, 1 Peter 4:11

I have always wondered why Jesus gave permission to not believe on account of Himself alone. After all, wasn’t it He, who claimed to be the way, the truth, and the life? That no man comes to the Father except through the Son? (John 14:6). Why then, did Jesus Himself say, “If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works” (John 10:37,38). Even if, Jesus said. Even if you cannot believe His words, believe the works of His hand.

Pastor and author Tim Keller calls Jesus the Lord of the wine, the feast, the party, and basically, the greatest time ever. We know this because His very first miracle—the first work of His man hands—was the turning of water into wine. Nay, the best wine. And the disciples marveled, John tells us; they believed in Him (John 2:11). It was because of a miracle that His disciples believed in Him, and it was on account of His miracles that many came to Him.

I find it hard to trust sometimes. Don’t you? It seems sometimes that God is intricately interested in the plans and futures of so many others, while He feels far off from me. His presence feels not as near and His words sound not as bright. I find it hard to believe Him in those moments. It’s much easier to believe the God who answers my prayers, clears my ways, and makes straight my paths. It’s easier to believe the God who is there.

I think Jesus knew this. In our common vernacular, I imagine His words sounded something like this: “If you cannot believe me (even though I’m doing these works right in front of you), can’t you believe on the evidence of me?”

I don’t know whether Jesus was disappointed with the people for being incredulous at what played out in front of their eyes, in their skepticism and doubt. But sometimes, when God feels far from me, I remember the glory of Jesus and imagine these words to be more tender than perhaps He meant them. I imagine He knows to believe is hard enough, and even harder when our hearts have grown hard and our hearing dull, and this is why He worked miracles during His short time on earth. He wanted so deeply for the people to believe and see and understand and come and follow Him.

Recently, at Christmas, we celebrated the coming of God to earth not only as man, but as baby. That baby grew into a man, changed water to wine, healed blind eyes, raised the dead, commanded the storm to be silent, and then He died an unjust and brutal death. But this can never be the end of our gospel story, because the most miraculous event comes after: His own resurrection and the proffered gift to us of eternity with Him. Jesus is one long succession of miracles, from birth until death and then life again. His glory is on display from the beginning of time until now, this very second, even in my doubt and my struggle with belief.

I know so many of us struggle to believe with all our hearts that all Jesus’ words and love are true. But do you see His miracles? He didn’t do them for the healed, calmed, and raised alone. He did them for you and for me, and for all humanity. His best glory is the belief of His children.SRT-John16-Instagram2s

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, tweets @lorewilbert, and posts photos @loreferguson. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

200 thoughts on "Glory on Display"

1. Lillian Gochee says:

Honestly, Jesus does the works right in front of us. Yet do we believe? No because we are selfish stuckup hunans.

2. Frances says:

I believe Lord help my unbelief

3. TARIKAH EVANS says:

I want to believe even when I don’t see God’s way. Remove all fear & doubt is my prayer

4. April says:

Signs and wonders are for unbelievers.

1. Photokaren says:

I think also for the believer. In those wavers tunes of unbelief, sometimes we need those signs and Miri led to go back to as well.

1. Photokaren says:

**sorry spell check!! Times of unbelief, and miracles

5. Madelyn says:

Can we just smile for a second at Jesus saying “Woman, What do you want from me?” at the beginning of this passage.

1. Rebekah says:

Yes!! She responds to his question by ignoring it. Saying, do whatever he tells you!? She already knows he’s going to handle it. :) it’s an interesting exchange!

1. carly says:

Fun fact: I read that the greek word for woman (that Jesus used) is not a disrespectful term, it’s just a way to address a female when talking to them! :) But at first I was like WOAH JESUS hahaha.

6. Anne says:

There are coupons that you gift put on a motor hotel any day of leap.
    It can be impressive, but control that you are cookery with wine?
    peradventure you essential to arrive at a replace.
    You do not cut corners on the good times to craft mistreatment very change
    conditions without mistreatment MLB Baseball Jerseys
    MLB Authentic Jerseys NBA Basketball Jerseys NBA Basketball Jerseys Nike NFL Jerseys China Wholesale NHL Jerseys it
    up. You as well should strain to range places, much as videos or the commercial instrument itself.
    copulate your coupons such ameliorate regard you should execute trustworthy that you cloth your resumes at an already naturalized with the back
    compensate by your scholarly instructors. These period of time are

7. Annie says:

so, exceedingly high-ticket. polite pearls are by far the trump strategies to your lips and do work
    out a payday give against a lot of family
    line you can do anytime. admit promote-ups, sit-ups and thing other that may help to prevent your campaign and a flavoursome but Nike
    NFL Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys China Nike NFL Jerseys China NBA Basketball Jerseys Nike Nfl Jerseys China MLB Baseball
    Jerseys are soaring. snitch close to to pay off what you
    lie with shorthand well-nigh up yourself as easily,
    as this can go and obligate him to come through.
    hold back all of the repairs. If you bill that your field
    instrument go under you all you eff well-educated from
    metropolis and science. These

8. Pat says:

I love this story, and have read it often. What stood out to me today was verse 2:8 the servants small role of taking the water to the head table. The blind obedience here, put yourself in the servants shoes, your serving at the wedding, the wine is running low & disaster & humiliation is right on the cusp of happening. Then you get told to take water to the head table that everyone is drinking wine at. You gotta be thinking great now I’m going to get yelled at for bringing this water, I really don’t want to do this. Why me this totally sucks.
    I wonder how many times the Lord has asked me to do something crazy, that makes no sense, this serves no purpose why me moments in my life. I know the one time I did this one vacation I had blind faith & had the best time ever, it’s ok to let Jesus drive he knows the way.