Glory on Display

from the John reading plan

John 2:1-25, Psalm 104:14-15, 1 Peter 4:11

BY Guest Writer

Text: John 2:1-25, Psalm 104:14-15, 1 Peter 4:11

I have always wondered why Jesus gave permission to not believe on account of Himself alone. After all, wasn’t it He, who claimed to be the way, the truth, and the life? That no man comes to the Father except through the Son? (John 14:6). Why then, did Jesus Himself say, “If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works” (John 10:37,38). Even if, Jesus said. Even if you cannot believe His words, believe the works of His hand.

Pastor and author Tim Keller calls Jesus the Lord of the wine, the feast, the party, and basically, the greatest time ever. We know this because His very first miracle—the first work of His man hands—was the turning of water into wine. Nay, the best wine. And the disciples marveled, John tells us; they believed in Him (John 2:11). It was because of a miracle that His disciples believed in Him, and it was on account of His miracles that many came to Him.

I find it hard to trust sometimes. Don’t you? It seems sometimes that God is intricately interested in the plans and futures of so many others, while He feels far off from me. His presence feels not as near and His words sound not as bright. I find it hard to believe Him in those moments. It’s much easier to believe the God who answers my prayers, clears my ways, and makes straight my paths. It’s easier to believe the God who is there.

I think Jesus knew this. In our common vernacular, I imagine His words sounded something like this: “If you cannot believe me (even though I’m doing these works right in front of you), can’t you believe on the evidence of me?”

I don’t know whether Jesus was disappointed with the people for being incredulous at what played out in front of their eyes, in their skepticism and doubt. But sometimes, when God feels far from me, I remember the glory of Jesus and imagine these words to be more tender than perhaps He meant them. I imagine He knows to believe is hard enough, and even harder when our hearts have grown hard and our hearing dull, and this is why He worked miracles during His short time on earth. He wanted so deeply for the people to believe and see and understand and come and follow Him.

Recently, at Christmas, we celebrated the coming of God to earth not only as man, but as baby. That baby grew into a man, changed water to wine, healed blind eyes, raised the dead, commanded the storm to be silent, and then He died an unjust and brutal death. But this can never be the end of our gospel story, because the most miraculous event comes after: His own resurrection and the proffered gift to us of eternity with Him. Jesus is one long succession of miracles, from birth until death and then life again. His glory is on display from the beginning of time until now, this very second, even in my doubt and my struggle with belief.

I know so many of us struggle to believe with all our hearts that all Jesus’ words and love are true. But do you see His miracles? He didn’t do them for the healed, calmed, and raised alone. He did them for you and for me, and for all humanity. His best glory is the belief of His children.SRT-John16-Instagram2s

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, tweets @lorewilbert, and posts photos @loreferguson. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

201 thoughts on "Glory on Display"

1. Kaitlyn:) says:

Oh man this one got me. It’s so hard for me trust. I’ve been through a lot these last few years. I’m finally realizing to trust HIM and he will do what’s true and right.

1. Kersti says:

Trusting is hard! We’ve all gone through it, and in right there with you trying to change a habit that isn’t good. God is good. Oh so good. Let us rest upon him today!

2. Teresa Gregory says:

There is so much nourishment in the truth.

3. Heather Fringer says:

I agree with Keri McCue. That is so true more and more these days. People are fast to turn to God when there is something wrong in their lives and then they just seem to forget about him when everything is good again. My trouble is hearing God’s voice. I have yet to be able to do that. I pick up things from Him though. Like I will be driving down the road and the same song plays over and over again about 5 times that day every time that I get in my car and it always relates to what I am going through (at that time it was “Lord I’m Ready Now,” and I am sure that was my cue. But I am not giving up on the thought that one day I will be able to feel/sense/hear the voice of my savior!

Another thing that I loved about this read was 1 Peter 4:11- If anyone speaks, it should be as one who speaks Gods words; if anyone serves, it should be from the strength God provides, so that God may be glorified through Jesus Christ in everything. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.

4. Keri McCue says:

I think it’s so easy for us to believe when we are in the midst of trial because THAT is when we seek Him out. We aren’t as passionate about hearing His voice when life is going great. So we think we aren’t hearing Him or we can’t feel Him near. But I argue that it’s not that we can’t feel Him, it’s that we are so distracted with other things that we aren’t seeking Him like we do when we feel we NEED Him most. If we could seek after Him with the passion of a servant in desperate need of Him (because we really do desperately need Him every day not just in trials) then I think we would have an easier time believing Him and His miracles.

I love that He basically said, “Don’t believe my words, but believe my actions”. It’s just so profound because actions absolutely speak louder than words. I love that our Savior knew this and stated it!

5. Sonja says:

“His best glory is the belief of His children.” Father thank you that you never change that you are the one Constant in my life. Thank you that my degree of belief doesn’t change how much you love me and see me in this moment. This morning I find myself echoing the words of the father in Mark 9. “I believe; help me overcome my unbelief.”

6. Sally Sparrow says:

19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” 20 They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” 21 But the temple he had spoken of was his body.

He has such power and might, but they didn’t realise it at the time.
    I often think about how if I was around when Jesus walked the earth, would I have been any different? I hope so. I hope I would have dropped at His feet, stopped everything I was doing and just listened. However, how often do I do that now? And I know who He is! I know the truth.
    What will I miss while “sleeping”. I must remember to have a Mary heart in a Martha world and not miss all of the incredible things He does.
    He is always here. Always with me.

1. Melanie says:

Well said, friend! I’ve had that thought before, too. I’d like to think that I would have been different, but I struggle to let him be Lord even today, knowing the truth about him. Each day is a new opportunity to trust him more and follow him more closely :) Prayers for you today!

2. Kayla says:

I really appreciate what you said here, especially “I hope I would have dropped at His feet, stopped everything I was doing and just listened. However, how often do I do that now?”

This question is resonating with me. You’re so right, we know who He is and we know the truth, yet how often do we really just stop what we’re doing in our lives and listen! It’d be easier to stop and listen if Jesus were standing right in front of us, but is He not with us at all times? Too often we forget his presence.

3. Laney Grimes says:

I always wonder if I would have followed him without question as well. I’d like to think so, but it’s taken me awhile to trust him and I still struggle sometimes.

7. Deidre says:

First time and first study on She Reads Truth. I’m excited to dig deep with you all!

1. Christine says:

So cool! May your soul be so very nourished from the Word as a result of this awesome ministry to women! I know mine has. xo

8. Cecelia says:

Thank you. I needed this desperately.