Tribal Divisions

from the Joshua reading plan

Joshua 17:1-18, Joshua 18:1-28, Hebrews 9:1-14

BY Andrea Lucado

Text: Joshua 17:1-18, Joshua 18:1-28, Hebrews 9:1-14

As much as I love traveling, there is nothing like coming home. Sleeping in my own bed, waking up to my own coffeemaker, hearing the familiar hum of traffic outside my window—home is truly a restful reprieve.

In Joshua chapter 18, we see a new home established for the nation of Israel at Shiloh: “Now the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of meeting there. And the land was subdued before them” (Joshua 18:1).

The tabernacle was the physical manifestation of God’s presence among His people. He dwelled in the innermost part of it, the holy of holies. In the midst of dividing territory and separating themselves physically from one another, it’s significant that the Israelites—all of the Israelites—now gathered in this one place to be in the presence of the Lord. God was the center, the core, of this people. And Shiloh would be His resting place for the next 300 years, until the Israelites were defeated by the Philistines.

When I looked up “Shiloh” in Hebrew, I came across a couple of definitions. One was “a place of rest” and the other, “peace.”

I don’t know that we can fully understand how the Israelites must have felt to finally settle and put down roots after years and years of traveling as nomads. An entire generation had been born and raised on foot, a generation that didn’t know what it meant to have a home—to have something to return to, a place to rest.

This is something we all understand: to have wandered far and long, to be weary and tired and thirsty, to desire peace—real peace. We all desire a place to call home.

What this scene at Shiloh points us to is the place we, as Christians, now find our rest. “But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands. Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption” (Hebrews 9:11-12).

The atonement for our sin that was once achieved through sacrifice and ritual in the tabernacle, is now complete through Christ’s blood. He entered the Most Holy Place once, and for all. For me and for you.

Jesus is our Shiloh.

Are you weary? “Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Are you thirsty? “Whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again” (John 4:14).

Are you hungry? “I am the bread of life… No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry” (John 6:35).

Are you restless? “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

In Christ, we have rest and reprieve. In Christ, we have a home.

Let us gather at Shiloh today and rest in that truth.

SRT-Joshua-Instagram15s

40 thoughts on "Tribal Divisions"

1. Keri McCue says:

I love the thought of “Jesus is our Shiloh”. He is our place of rest and comfort, our place of peace! Amen!

2. JennySue says:

I am SO thankful, that in Christ, we have a home. It’s so hard to feel alone. But today again, He reminds me that He is my Everything. He is my One & Only, and even when I can’t feel Him, and I have comfort from no where else, He REALLY IS with me.

3. C Gunckel says:

I find it amazing how I have read Hebrews 9:1-14 for years and all of a sudden today it took on new meaning and came alive for me today! God is do look good!

1. C Gunckel says:

That should be so good!

4. Skigranny1 says:

Today’s reading really spoke to me. I am in the country to Laos for a month. I had a lot of fear and anxiety before coming, but without going into a long story I knew it was good to come. God is so faithful and through the prayers of many friends I have been peaceful and calm through this trip so far. I don’t like to fly, but He gave me not only peace and calm but total enjoyment. And I know I will love going to the home He has provided me on this earth, but this is a trip of a lifetime.
    I have been away from this group for awhile and am so happy to be back. I love the connection with so many believers worldwide. May God bless you all today and may His light shine upon you.

1. Robin W. says:

How wonderful to have the opportunity to explore another country, especially one in Southeast Asia! And how to great to stay connected while you are there. Praying for peace in your heart and joy in your spirit!

5. Michelle says:

Friends, at this very moment my beloved friends wait in a hospital while their adoptive child is being born. Please join me in praying for supernatural peace over the birth parents and adoptive parents as this holy transfer of life and love takes place.

1. churchmouse says:

Oh how blessed that child is already! The birth parents have given life and opportunity through their sacrifice. The adoptive parents take the opportunity to extend and grow that life. I’m in awe of this special moment. I pray for all to be blessed and at peace.

2. Robin W. says:

Praying….❤️

6. Candy says:

Dear sisters, just wanted to give you an update with my son that you all prayed for. After I asked for prayers, God impressed upon me to go to a little lake down the road from my house. I thought I would find my son there but no, I just sat quietly on a rock by the water and listened to the wind and the waves. Such a wonderful peace came upon me and I knew that a God was in charge and that my son was ok. He returned home later that night and over the weekend he agreed to see a doctor about maybe some treatment. Praise the Lord we got to see our family doctor on Tuesday and he was placed on a med for depression. I have suspected that this was his problem for years but he wouldn’t go to a doctor. Just wanted to share with you all that God is good and our prayers are being answered. Thank you all so much!

1. elicia davis says:

Praise God!

2. Shelby says:

So glad he’s home! Praying for you and your son and God’s peace in your lives.

3. raschknits says:

You have been in my heart since you first posted. I am so happy that your son has chosen to seek treatment! Having lost a BIL to suicide 4.5 years ago after suffering from undiagnosed depression for years… it is a serious medical condition. Peace to you all! xo

4. Sarah says:

Praise the Lord! Thank you for sharing.

7. Amen says:

Today’s response gives a refreshing focus to the meaning behind dedicating the Sabbath day to God as He spoke about in Exodus 20:8-11 and Deuteronomy 5:12-15.