The Day the Sun Stood Still

from the Joshua reading plan

Joshua 9:1-27, Joshua 10:1-15, Ephesians 1:18-23

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Text: Joshua 9:1-27, Joshua 10:1-15, Ephesians 1:18-23

Nothing makes me hustle like a deadline. Seriously, mention one in conversation and I’ll be unable to hear you over the clock that starts ticking in my head.

In college, I worked for the school newspaper. The building was underground, beneath the university’s basketball court, filled with the sounds of screeching sneakers and jammed printers. Sleep was replaced by a steady stream of caffeine and adrenaline, while stories forcefully flowed out of our fingers to be placed in the hands of our readers a few short hours later.

We basked in the knowledge that news couldn’t become news without us. Everything was under our watch, from the latest rumors to the biggest announcements. The fluorescent hallway beams created a false sense of time, as we hibernated under the security of to-do lists and grammar rules. In the morning, we’d climb the stairs of reality, the latest issue in hand, to welcome the day. Before opening the door, we’d make bets on whether the sky would be dark or light, because we honestly couldn’t tell the difference from our journalism bunker.

In chapter 10, Joshua faces a firm deadline with a pretty serious agenda: save his people from the attack of five powerful kings. It’s a bleak situation until the Lord says, “Do not be afraid of them, for I have handed them over to you. Not one of them will be able to stand against you” (v. 8).

If God were to assign a project and a deadline to me, I imagine I’d descend the the stairs to the newspaper office and begin strategizing my next move, emerging with a plan in the morning. But that’s not what Joshua does.

Joshua asks God to make the sun stand still, giving him time to fulfill the mission at once. And God does it. The sun stops in the middle of the sky, delaying its setting almost a full day and giving Joshua the time needed to accomplish His task.

As I think about what a sight this must’ve been, I can’t help but realize that, if it were me, I’d still be underground, oblivious to the stilled sun. Even worse than missing that newsworthy spectacle, I’d miss out on observing the intimate care of my Creator.

While I no longer work for the newspaper and now spend most of my time above ground, I haven’t completely graduated from my own knee-deep ambition. I collect my cares and hide away from the very God who fought for Israel! But I don’t want to spend my days strategizing. I want to get busy living like God has called me to live.

May we ask the Lord for a faith like Joshua’s, boldly believing that God is in our corner. Let us stand and walk and live in the sunlight, knowing He is for us.

SRT-Joshua-Instagram8s

38 thoughts on "The Day the Sun Stood Still"

1. Conyers says:

This arlicte went ahead and made my day.

2. Rachel says:

I admire the total faith with which Joshua asked God to cause the sun and the moon to stand still. I imagine how terrified the enemies of Israel must have been then! First they hear about the terrifying greatness of this Israel, how Israel’s God strengthens them and takes care of them, and then the sun and the moon stand still for an entire day! This would have happened across the world, probably, too. Imagine what people on the other side of the world would have been thinking then: what’s happening?! And then word about the Israelite’s God spreads even more! Wow.

3. Keri McCue says:

I love, love, love that in verse 8 God says to him, “Do not be afraid of them” and in verse 9 we see him “come upon them suddenly”. I love this visual. God says, “Hey don’t be afraid, it’s okay!” and so he JUMPS into action. He takes God at Him word and gets busy right then and there. Lord, help us to have faith like Joshua!!

4. Amen says:

In everything we do, remember to consult God first.
    Even when we think we have a confident understanding and have taken a rational and educated approach to make the “right” decision, we must remember to consult God first in everything we do.
    Pray ceaselessly.
    When we fail, we still must continue to move forward. Acknowledge the failures, adjust the pathways and just move forward. God is forgiving that way.

1. April says:

Thank you, this was the icing on the cake today for my devotion. Beautifully said!

5. Caroline Harries says:

Love that NOTHING is impossible with God. If he can make the sun stand still he can answer our big and bold prayers too.

6. Aimee says:

One thing i am confused about…they wouldn’t have been in the position to fight if they had sought the Lord in the first place. They were told to wipe out the people in the land so it would be cleared of evil. Now those people live among them as their servants and the Israelites are having to defend them from attack. I wonder why God did not address their disobedience in making a treaty with the Gibeonites in the first place without seeking God? just something i am pondering

1. KimN says:

I hear what your saying Aimee and I’m not sure why God didn’t address their disobedience. Perhaps Joshua and the Israelites repented and confessed their sin to God? The Lord didn’t speak thru Chapter 9 but the next time He does, He tells Joshua not to be afraid b/c the Lord is with them and for them.

I do take solace though from the fact that if God has a purpose that He wants to fulfill, my mistakes or missteps or lack of obedience won’t change the course or result God intends. He will either use a different set of circumstances or redirect me back to where I need to be. His will be done!

1. Lesandra says:

I love this Kim. Amen

2. Hannah Wechsler says:

His grace over and over for us is unfathomable

1. Holly Wright says:

That is SO true!! Amid all my missteps, I am safe in His arms!

7. Diane Huntsman says:

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped,
    until the nation took vengeance on their enemies.

Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in the midst of heaven and did not hurry to set for about a whole day. 14 There has been no day like it before or since, when the Lord heeded the voice of a man, for the Lord fought for Israel.