Walk in Love

from the 1, 2, and 3 John reading plan

2 John 1:1-13, John 8:31-32, 1 Corinthians 3:6-9

BY Guest Writer

Text: 2 John 1:1-13, John 8:31-32, 1 Corinthians 3:6-9

There is a foot of height between us, but I have learned to keep up, quicken my step, and match my stride to my husband’s. He ran Division 1 Track and Field for his university and, to this day, can run a mile while I’m still changing into my sneakers.

But when we walk, we walk at a matched pace: he a little slower than normal and I a little faster. When he asks me to go for a walk, he does it because he loves me and he loves spending time with me; walking at different paces—though more comfortable for each of us—would not be the loving thing to do.

I think of this today while reading the second letter of John. He speaks of walking in love (v. 6) and then goes on to warn of those who walk ahead on their own, rather than abide in Christ’s teaching (v. 9). I can think of times when I’ve lagged behind or gotten ahead and someone else has paid the price for it. I tend to assume other people view the gospel through the same lens I do, and then I forget to communicate both love and truth to someone whose path has strayed (Ephesians 4:15).

There have been times when I have not abided in Christ’s teachings because, deep down, I think I can somehow say it better or faster or smarter. Or I have lagged behind, not kept up with the deep and fervent truth of the gospel, and become lazy in my sin and relationships with others.

The flurry of day-to-day life here on earth can cause us to forget what’s real, true, and eternal. We forget and we wander off, distracted. No wonder the writer of Hebrews said, “Let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:1-2).

There is much to be said for the hard work of running the race toward Jesus, but here in his letter, John tells us to simply walk.

Walk in love.

For me, it’s always easier to run ahead or lag behind, to grow distracted by what’s around me or impatient for what’s ahead of me. But John says, Beloved, walk. Match your pace to the One who loved first and walk, one step in front of another, faithful in practice—not for a particular result, but simply to walk with your Father and enjoy His presence. This reminds me of Enoch, whose whole existence could be wrapped up with this line: he “walked faithfully with God; then he was no more” (Genesis 5:24).

To walk in love is to match my stride to the love of God, the King of the universe, who put on flesh and became fully human to show us how to live (John 1:14; 1 John 4:2). He slowed His pace to meet ours, to teach us how to run the race. In the end and by His grace, may our own lives echo these words:

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
– 2 Timothy 4:7

SRT-123John-Instagram11s

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, tweets @lorewilbert, and posts photos @loreferguson. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

62 thoughts on "Walk in Love"

1. Cindy says:

More so here lately I have been striving to do this, reading about walking with your husband brings memories for me. My husband has been in a wheelchair for the past 15, years or so, he’s a good foot and half taller than I. I used to holler at him for walking to fast. Now he rolls behind me and does not run off and leave me. It’s so important to wait on God to move but oh so hard sometimes. Enjoyed your devotional.

2. Nicole says:

I needed this today when mom life feels chaotic and I measure myself against unrealistic expectations as a mom/wife/worker…. in the midst of what feels like fast paced madness that I can’t keep up with God calls me to walk with him, and abide in him one step at a time

3. Jennifer B says:

I pray that we can all walk with God and he can open our eyes that it is better to walk than run.

4. Kylee says:

My mom used to always say this — “walk in love!” — but the significance of the action never sunk in until today. Walking is something we do all day every day, and so it is to be with our love. We are to live in love as if walking all day long, trusting in the GRACE of God to fill in our gaps, relying on His strength to love anyway when people act unlovely. I pray today that love, that perfect love of God would be evident in all my interactions! That when they see me, people would FEEL Jesus. I pray the same for all of you, SRT sisters. Let’s take what we’ve been so freely given out into the world, and walk in love today.

5. Bek says:

I recently received a Fitbit which calculates how many steps you have taken each day. The daily target is 10,000 steps. I have found the physical reminder on my wrist has been a great motivator in keeping me accountable. I’ll often do another walk around the block at the end of the day if I haven’t hit my target.

How many of those steps though were walked in love? I pray that I will be spurred on with the same motivation to hit my physical goals as my spiritual ones. That at the end of the day, I’ll be willing to do another walk around the block with those he has called and knows my name. Knowing all the while that our prize is not some meaningless Fitbit badge but a real relationship with our Father and Creator.

How many steps have you walked today in love?

6. George WILLIAMS says:

Thanks for great clarity with a good word.Makes me think about two runners who raced with news towards a King. Both delivered a message news can be hard to take concerning life. There message ( your Kingdom is safe) yet his sons life is fortified.Many run the race they carry the same message ( Good News) may the ears that receive it understand his Kingdom is safe, run for him wait for him.

7. kimmie says:

As I sat down to read for this lesson (a few days behind), I had to reel myself a couple times. My Monday brain wandered off.

8. Jen Corbin says:

This song is one of my favorites. And this version is very moving. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZ9xXoZ1Mk