God Has Not Changed

from the Hosea reading plan

Hosea 7:3-16, Galatians 6:6-10, Romans 9:22-24

BY Raechel Myers

Text: Hosea 7:3-16, Galatians 6:6-10, Romans 9:22-24

“Ephraim has allowed himself to get mixed up with the nations. Ephraim is unturned bread baked on a griddle. Foreigners consume his strength, but he does not notice. Even his hair is streaked with gray, but he does not notice. Israel’s arrogance testifies against them, yet they do not return to the Lᴏʀᴅ their God, and for all this, they do not seek him” (Hosea 7:8-10).

Have you noticed something here?

Ephraim (the largest of the ten northern tribes, whose name is sometimes used to refer to Israel as a whole) has become an out-of-control, hot mess. Meanwhile, the people of Israel are so crazed with self-indulgence they can hardly tell what day it is. But I can’t help standing back a bit and noticing, in all of Israel’s wayward mindlessness as they run to Egypt and Assyria and every which way, God hasn’t changed.

Oh, He’s definitely watching. He sees them spiraling out of control, tossing their reputation out the window. He hears the other nations all whispering to each other about “God’s Chosen People” killing off their leaders, one by one, and getting fresh starts from their God, only to get all muddy again (Hosea 7:16).

Israel is two-faced and double-tongued.

But if we turn our attention from the squeaky wheel for a moment—if we tune out all the noise—we’ll notice this: God has not changed.

He has but one face and one tongue. One unrelenting love for His bride.

We want this passage to be about the rogue bride, or the prodigal son, and how Israel can’t seem to get it right. But it isn’t. It’s about God.

As the ever-faithful Groom, God remains. Even as His anger burns over the unfaithfulness of His bride, He forgives her. He provides for her. He gives her a fresh start. And in His severe mercy, He even withholds good things from her so that she might return to Him. While Israel hedges its bets on other gods, the Groom has all His focus on His one, true love.

Maybe you don’t need me to spell it out for you today, but in case you do, hear this: you are His one, true love. Wherever you are, whatever you’ve done, whatever anyone else thinks of you, and however long it’s been since the last time you called Him your Groom—He hasn’t changed, and neither has His love for you.

“But God proves his own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!”
-Romans 5:8

SRT-Hosea16-Instagram10s

78 thoughts on "God Has Not Changed"

1. Kim says:

Thank you Lord, for being eternal, never changing and always pursuing ne

2. I do not often feel wanted. So it’s verses like this, truth like this, that touches my heart on a whole other level. The God of this universe has proclaimed to the whole world that I am His bride, His beloved. The one that He will never stop pursuing. God is my husband, my main comfort, the desire of my heart. And I am his. Nothing could ever change that.
    Comfort my heart today Holy Spirit, hold my hand, hug me tight, bring me the comfort of a sweet and tender kiss, remind me of the beauty and talent you gave me, push me to flourish and never leave my side.

1. Hayley Harrington says:

This prayer was such an encouragement to me this morning! Thank you for sharing!

3. Murphey Hatcher says:

Even in the midst of my confusion, God has always been pursuing me. He is still the same. Just because I’ve been acting like the Israelites doesn’t mean He has changed His love for me. He does want me to love Him in return. He still wants me.
    I have been thinking to myself that I’ve been gone from Him too long. He must not want me now. I’ve been away too long. But on the contrary! He wants me just as much as He wanted me so long ago. He NEVER changes. I do, but He is still my anchor. And Lord knows I need an anchor. The wind of this world is very strong. But His anchor is eternal.

4. Keri McCue says:

“And in His severe mercy, He even withholds good things from her so that she might return to Him. ” – I used to think badly of statements like this. But that was because I didn’t quite understand them. It’s so beautiful that our Father is continuously calling for His bride!

5. We are the Lord’s one true love. He is our never changing, ever-faithful Groom that loves us constantly despite our out right rebellion against him. His love is always enough.

“God’s character never changes. His one face is righteousness. His one Word is holiness. His one undying call to His people is love.”

6. Hope says:

I have been loving this series on Hosea! My favorite book of the bible! I don’t want to be negative at all but I sometimes wish the picture at the bottom with the verse more directly related to the topic of the passage. This one is about God never changing… I feel like the picture should reflect that! I love the pictures and I like to use them to reflect on the message I read throughout the day but sometimes I feel like they do not really apply. Does that make sense? :)

1. Hope says:

Also… I will say, this is not always true! :) The one for Day 11 is perfect ;)

1. Naomi says:

Hope, I agree…thought the same exact thing.

2. Julie says:

I literally thought the same thing as well. Great message this morning, but I didn’t feel like the picture captured the main point.