A Life Restored

from the Ruth reading plan

Ruth 4:13-17, Psalm 127, Proverbs 24:27

BY Andrea Lucado

Text: Ruth 4:13-17, Psalm 127, Proverbs 24:27

Isn’t it amazing? In just four chapters, we have seen two women move from overwhelming despair to incredible hope. Remember how Naomi interacted with her friends in the first chapter? “‘Don’t call me Naomi. Call me Mara,’ she answered, ‘for the Almighty has made me very bitter. I went away full, but the Lord has brought me back empty’” (Ruth 1:20-21).

Now, in chapter four, her friends are surrounding her, praising God for the birth of Ruth and Boaz’s son, Obed, another potential kinsman-redeemer in her family tree. What was empty in Naomi’s life is now full, and her friends declare, “Blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this day without a redeemer” (Ruth 4:14).

In the midst of trial, I am always tempted to think the opposite of what Naomi’s friends declared—that the Lord has left me, and there will be no redemption to my story. We’ve all been there. You might be there right now.

During these times, when I don’t know what the future holds, I often try and plan it out myself. Grasping for a sense of control, I make lists, imagine scenarios, send emails, do whatever I need to do to feel like I’m making progress, to feel like I’m fixing my problems, to feel like I am getting somewhere. This is what I would have done had I found myself in a Ruth-and-Naomi situation: widowed, childless, desperate, and staring at a shaky, unclear future.

The problem with my go-to method of scrambling and planning is not the plan itself, but rather, the overseer of that plan. Me.

Psalm 127 says that when we are building our own house, our labor is in vain. When we are watching over own city, our watching is in vain. The Lord is the only one who knows the plan and has the power to put it into action. Try as we may, we simply get in the way.

Naomi could not have foreseen the beauty that would come from her story of ashes (Isaiah 61:1-3). What God was building was beyond her predictions and planning. Though she lost her sons and her husband, as her friends reminded her, having Ruth as her daughter-in-law turned out to better than having seven sons (Ruth 4:15).

Just as redemption was in God’s plan for Naomi, so is it in God’s plan for us.

Down the bloodline from Boaz and Ruth and Obed is our Redeemer, Jesus. In Christ, there is no such thing as a story beyond redemption. There is only resurrection, restoration, and rejoicing, even in the most unlikely of circumstances and with the most unlikely of subjects.

If you’re wondering today if the Lord has left you, and the idea redemption at this point feels impossible, hold fast to the promise we see in Ruth and Naomi’s journey. Nothing is too much, too big, or too scary for our Savior. God has not walked away from you. He’s done the opposite. He has drawn near to you through His Son, Jesus.

Today, let’s take a step back today from whatever it is we are trying to control our way out of. Instead of planning and building, let’s sit in the promise of our Redeemer, believing that God is sovereign and His redemption is already ours.

SRT-Ruth-Instagram11s

117 thoughts on "A Life Restored"

1. Steph C says:

“Then the women said to Naomi, ‘Praise the Lord, who has not left you without a family redeemer today. May his name become well known in Israel. He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age’” (4:14-15). God is the Redeemer of individuals and their stories. He brings hope to the desolate and joy to those who mourn. Naomi was grieving and bitter at the beginning of the book, yet here she is rejoicing in the blessing of God! Only God can truly renew a life. Only He can transform it. He is a good, kind, omnipotent Father. ❤️

2. Laura says:

I needed to hear God’s awesome and amazing voice concerning my family and the future. God spoke to me in His amazing way as I read this, reminding me of His sovereign control in all things. Thank you for allowing God to use you as a vessel for Him!

3. Allie says:

Isn’t it amazing that the Lord will point you towards His truths and word when you need it the most. He always knows what to say and what your heart needs to hear. Today I needed to hear this. I’m starting my Junior year of college today and while in retrospect that might not be a big deal, it is to me. I let my anxiety fill my mind and I dwell on past hurts and negativity. I’m terrified of the future. Will I succeed, fail, will I have real friends that include me? Am I going to be left out and lonely? What drama is going to occur? Well I’m not God, and I’m putting such a heavy weight on my shoulders worrying and trying to control things that I simple don’t know about and can’t. How much more beautiful it is to rest in Jesus Christ our Redeemer and trust Him. Lay back safely in His arms and allow His plan to unfold as you are safe and loved. I need to remember that. I need to try and live like that which is a lot easier said than done. But as I start my first day I challenge myself that whenever I feel anxiety creeping into my mind through out the day to just give it straight to God. To remind myself I’m not alone and not in control, that all things work for his glory and that I am redeemed through Him.

1. Rachel says:

Loved this! I needed to hear this because 3 years ago when I started my junior year, I was in the same boat. And those anxieties still creep in post graduation.

4. Annie May says:

So true for me today, as I go through an unexpected time of potential change. Lists are helping me see the options, but i pray God will show me the path, not just the dotpoints i write.

5. Chay says:

“Control freak” it’s always been a moniker of mine. I’ve always been high strung and have always winced when people mutter the words “you’re no fun.” What’s odd is that I’m super goofy and truly joyful about life – but when it’s crunch time I’ve always felt SOMEONE has to take the lead, right? Then I get in the zone and elbow others out of the way to do it “right.” It’s been a lifelong struggle. Now here I am, approaching my late 30’s and finally figuring out that I need to Pause and Pray. My Father has it under control – I still need to do my part but He knows the master plan. This isn’t to say I’m not a raving lunatic when there is a stressful situation but I do try to keep it in perspective. I am cared for. I must trust my Father, He never fails me.

6. Pamela says:

He cares for us , He knows our name. Thanks be to God for His loving kindness towards us!

7. emma griffin says:

Recently I have been struggling with finding my “purpose” feeling as though i may not have one. College is approaching me soon and I get so anxious about choosing the right place and the right career path and constantly focusing on making my parents proud. (This is especially difficult with an older sister who is so successful and has it all figured out) This devotion was definitely something i needed to hear as i have been trying to organize and plan and manage how my life is going to turn out and try and make everything perfect. This week i’m going to practice letting go of control and letting God show me and basking in his redemption.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Praying for you, sweet Emma. Asking the Lord to guide and direct you and give you purpose through His Word. You have big things ahead of you!

– Stormye

1. jennifer says:

Dear Emma 2 months have gone by and my hope and prayer for you is that today you can still let go of satan’s lies. No one is perfect or has it all together, our minds can be such a battlefield. One step at a time and let the Lord who loves you take your hand each step of the way. Career paths change through out our lives, each path is a stepping stone to the next great thing God has for you. Trust Him who has it figured out for us! May He shine upon you!