The Creation & The Fall

from the Genesis reading plan

Genesis 1:1-31, Genesis 2:1-25, Genesis 3:1-24, John 1:1-5

BY Amanda Bible Williams

Text: Genesis 1:1-31, Genesis 2:1-25, Genesis 3:1-24, John 1:1-5

There’s something captivating about new beginnings. They arrive laden with hope and wrapped in promise, expectation strapped optimistically to their backs. The slate is clean. We hold our breath and look for the right words and best intentions to populate the page.

I once had a boss who had us write down a list of personal and professional goals for the new year as part of our year-end duties. He was the inspiring type, with a positive outlook and a successful business, and I made my list accordingly—ambitious goals only, and the bigger, the better.

I remember looking at that list and feeling a rush of emotion, like it was a long overdue promise to myself. I remember feeling hope and the fleeting yet earnest belief that circumstances can match desires if only we write them down and check them off. And I remember finding that folded-up list in my bedside table about six months later and scanning the length of it to find I’d accomplished none of my big, ambitious goals to date. Not even one.

New beginnings are laden with hope, and they should be. But on what or whom do we place that hope?

The book of Genesis is full of new beginnings. It reveals the beginning of the heavens and the earth, of humanity and marriage, of sin and nations and languages—the beginning of our need for a Savior. All of our brokenness—all our unfulfilled hopes and broken promises—begin here, in the first book of the Bible.

But Genesis is also a book of covenants. Covenants are agreements that define the relationship between God and humanity, the first being the Covenant of Creation (or Covenant of Life) when God created man (Genesis 2:16-17). But unlike the promises we make to ourselves and each other, God’s promises are, by His very nature, unbreakable. His faithfulness is never subject to our own (2 Timothy 2:13).

When Adam and Eve’s sin broke that first covenant, the Covenant of Grace was set into motion—a 2000-year journey of God revealing His faithfulness again and again to an unfaithful people. From Noah and Abraham to each generation of Abraham’s descendants, God kept His word even when they didn’t keep theirs. This achy and redemptive generations-long narrative helps us understand the beauty of—and the need for—the New Covenant in Jesus Christ (Luke 22:20, Hebrews 9:15).

With nearly every page-turn of Genesis—from the Fall to the Flood, from Babel to Sodom and Gomorrah—we will see God keep His promises and confirm His covenant with men and women along the way. When we dare to read this bold and beautiful book in its entirety, a foundational truth comes into view: God’s covenant with His people is ongoing, everlasting, and unbreakable, and it is forever fulfilled in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

As we walk through the pages of Genesis, may we learn to loosen our grip on our best efforts and well-intentioned works and cling only to the hope lovingly and mercifully secured for us by our covenant-keeping God.

SRT-Genesis-instagram1s

261 thoughts on "The Creation & The Fall"

1. Mariah says:

I’ve been really struggling to get into my Bible lately, hoping that by doing devotional studies such as this one I can start to dig into my study of God and how amazing He is. Please be praying for me, that God would ignite a full on passion to dig into his word more and more each day.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Praying, Mariah! Asking the Lord to give you a thirst for Him that can only be quenched through His Word.

– Stormye

1. Sandra says:

How is it going with getting into your bible, Mariah? I struggle with the same thing.

2. Laura Musselman says:

The trinity wanted to throw a party, but there were no others to invite. A&E decided they’d be better off looking out for themselves than trusting God. They did exactly what I would have done. They chose to throw their own party without Him. But there is no party without Him. A&E made the same mistake I’ve been making since I was a kid, to protect myself from pain and to control my own pleasure. To negotiate with God- to get what I want out of life. God’s message: “you’ve made a mess, I’ve got a plan. You’re invited to my party.”

3. Victoria morales says:

God is great

4. Tiana says:

I am so beyond happy that I found this Bible study! God is SO good!

5. Hailey Smith says:

Hi She Reads Truth family! I’m new to this bible study and online community; currently, I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy this Genesis bible study. Will y’all help me out? I have some questions that I need answered:

1. First, is the devotional content APPLICABLE & also PRACTICAL? I read the devotional for this and though: “Okay, true… but so what NOW?” Ya fee me? Like, okay, how can I rely on the Lord’s strength when I do have a lot of obligations and goals I need to accomplish to be a woman of my word. I want to learn how to honor God & have everything I do be for the Lord, instead of feeling obligated to do so or motivates by my own vision of “success”. I want to know if the author of this devotional delves into the Word in search of HOW to accomplish dependency & hope in Christ alone, whilst leading a life of goal accomplishment.
    2. Are there New Testament tie-ins throughout Old Testament bible studies? I recently decided to start reading the Bible from the beginning but I don’t want to forget what Jesus did here on earth & specific Scripture/Truth from the New Testament.

1. Hailey Smith says:

For example, I’m a student at A&M and I skipped 3/4 classes today to spend time with Jesus because my spirit desperately needed it- sin and health issues in my life were taking their role. But now, I feel lazy/bad for missing class. I’m taking 19 hours and am in my Masters program. I don’t want to do well in school to succeed… I want to do it for God. I need Him to remind me why I began school 4 years ago in the first place.

1. Kayla Allison says:

Hailey,
        If you go to Texas A&M, I would love to get in contact with you! I’m here as well in my Masters Program and am involved in a wonderful community-based Bible Study!
        I will be praying for you and that God gives you clarity in the plan that He has for you.

Kayla

1. Kamryn says:

Just cause it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s not super hellpuf.

6. Katie says:

Grateful that I started this today. I have been praying to God and struggling in my heart over my faith. Getting to start from the beginning feels like a fresh start to rediscover my faith and strengthen my relationship with Christ.

1. Rebekka says:

I am fully with you Katie :) Let’s discover with a blank slate who God is and how we can best relate to Him!

7. AJ says:

Very grateful to God for finding your page.

8. Christina Kang says:

So exited and thankful to start every morning with this wonderful group of women and the words of God!