Born Is The King

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Isaiah 9:2-7, Luke 2:1-7

BY Guest Writer

Text: Isaiah 9:2-7, Luke 2:1-7

Between the angels, the pregnancy, the wedding, and the census, the theme of the past year for Joseph and Mary seemed to have been about listening to the story of who they were. They weren’t children anymore, but they weren’t quite grownups either. They were somewhere between who they used to be and who they were becoming, and now, the moment had come which would change not only their lives, but the entire course of history.

Pain stabbed at her. Then it happened again, worse this time. And again.

Adam and Eve took the forbidden fruit and one of the consequences of that act of rebellion shot through Mary from head to toe, every few minutes now.

Eventually, as if cresting a ridge, her labor gave way to delivery, and her groaning gave way to the sound of the cries of little lungs drawing in the breath of earth for the first time.

To the wonder of the humble man and relief of the weary woman, they beheld Him who, though He was the Son of God, was every bit a fragile, tiny baby.

Together, Mary and her husband cleaned their child and wrapped His little arms and legs in strips of cloth to keep Him warm. After they laid Him in a manger and finally exhaled, they gave Him the name Jesus. And both remembered why.

The incarnation of the Savior of the world could have come to pass any number of ways. But God, in His infinite wisdom, chose this. He chose this couple for this night in this shelter. This boy, the angel told them, would be the heir to David’s throne. He would be their Wonderful Counselor, their Mighty God, their Everlasting Father, their Prince of Peace. The government would be upon His shoulders (Isaiah 9:2-7).

But there was nothing particularly complex or regal about this moment in the stable outside Bethlehem. There were no heralds in the streets announcing the birth of the King. By all appearances, it was a humble, simple affair, seemingly incidental to everything else going on in David’s town that night. But it wasn’t incidental. It had been God’s plan from the beginning: this King of Kings was “chosen before the foundation of the world” (1 Peter 1:20).

There, on the edge of Bethlehem, a child was born. A Son was given. It was the most significant moment in the history of the world.

The zeal of the Lord Almighty had accomplished this (Isaiah 9:7).

Thanks be to God.

written by Russ Ramsey
adapted from Behold the Lamb of God: An Advent Narrative

SRT-Advent15-instagram27s

58 thoughts on "Born Is The King"

1. Kathy C. says:

I hear the words, “What child is this,” and behind it rings, “Mary did you know” and I sit in awe that God would love us, love me love any of us enough to not only give up His home in heaven to be born in a dirty barn, laid in a food trough for animals, be subject to the direction and supervision of flawed humans, and eventually be tortured and die for you, for me, for sins we commit almost without thought. That Jesus would, in spite of our thoughtless, apathetic attitude, want us to be with Him reminds me of what is really important. It is not the lights, or the stuff, or the food, it is our time in prayer and in study with the Bible. I never want to lose that thrill, that wonder that is his love.

2. Rochelle says:

It’s amazing how, if I don’t put this study first in the morning, the rest of my day does not run on quite the right course. It isn’t that it make things easier, it’s that I can handle things much more appropriately and with peace. When I don’t focus on Jesus, there’s not as much peace in my life. When I focus on the matters of this world, I tend to give in to the chaotic, and I become anxious. Exhausted. Thank you to Jesus; truly the prince of peace in a really, really practical way.

1. Nancy says:

Oh, Rochelle, you must have read my mind this morning. I have been lax in doing my devotions and want to blame it on the businesses of the season. My day is so much more stressful when I don’t seek His peace first. I need Him every morning first and foremost. Thanks for the reminder.

2. susan says:

My thoughts exactly. My new years resolution is to have my devotion time first, before I click on the weather, news, instagram or any of my other sites. The verse “…seek first the kingdom of God…” is my goal.

3. Carol says:

My exact thoughts this morning!!

3. Jena says:

I almost didn’t do this study, but the Holy Spirit urged me. Jesus pushed me into it, as my thoughts and opinions were confused. I didn’t think I’d get much out of it, but man was I wrong. This has rocked my world in the best of ways. As Jesus has been showing me to abide in Him always, it’s given me confirmation that in Him is where I find peace, solace, rest. It has shown me that I need that every single day of my life. This study has opened my eyes to see Jesus and the foreshadowing of Him in so much of the Old Testament, it’s been so awesome to see His word this way. It has also challenged me to remain faithful. To remember Him in all things and know that I must begin and continue to put Him first. That is the only way I will truly abide in Him. I’m so thankful for this community. For this study and for what Jesus has completed for us. Words cannot express what this has done for my life.

1. Kylee says:

True that, girl. It’s an every single day thing, & when I fill up on that other “stuff” (things, social media, tv) I NEVER feel restored as I do after time with our savior…so glad you did this advent study, too! Always love reading your take on things :)

4. Makayla says:

Those verses are so powerful…
    I was that person walking in the darkness, living in a out of sin but he came to pierce through my darkness so I could live in his light.
    He came to fully release me from the bondage of sin so that I could have to freedom to live for him. No longer does my oppressor have control over me because Jesus defeated him once and for all!
    All of this came from the birth Jesus…

5. Hannah says:

As I sit here, in the quiet of the day full of loudness and glee, I ponder at the eternal meaning of these verses. Jesus didn’t just come for one generation or generations two thousand years later; He came for all eternity. His life has saved all mankind whom believe and His reign and salvation will last FOREVER! Never again will we be slaves to sin, for we are all- tired, broken-feeling, and confused as we are- slaves to righteousness! And this adoption into God’s family as His beautiful daughters is our forever hope, our eternal identity! And so even though “Christmas” ended six minutes ago, I praise God will the knowledge that Christ is going to be with me for eternity! Praise the LORD! Oh, how marvelous this is!

1. Brandi says: