Jesus Is The True & Better Jacob

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Genesis 32:22-32, Isaiah 53:5, Hebrews 12:5-11

BY Missy Fuller

Text: Genesis 32:22-32, Isaiah 53:5, Hebrews 12:5-11

I reached for my phone. The screen came to life, illuminating the dark room. It was 2:17 AM, and my mind was racing. As I turned over I felt the Spirit’s prompting. So, instead of reaching for the bottle of melatonin, I reached for my Bible and journal.

I needed to wrestle. Earlier that day, I had been on a date that left me confused and restless. My heart wanted one thing and my head wanted another. Or maybe it was my sinful insecurities convincing me of my want while the Spirit of God in me reminded me of what I already knew to be true. Was I going to choose what I deeply desired, which was now right in front of me, or was I going to humble myself and wait for God’s best? Regardless, I needed to struggle with my Lord.

Jacob, too, was alone with God that night at the Jabbok River. He wrestled with a man, struggling until daybreak. As the sun rose, Jacob asked for a blessing before he would let the man go (Genesis 32:24-26). But he received more than a simple blessing. Jacob—whose name meant “he grasps the heel,” a Hebrew idiom for “he deceives”—was renamed. He was given the name Israel “because he struggled with God and with men and prevailed” (Genesis 32:28).

Centuries later, one of Jacob’s descendants had His own midnight encounter with the Father. The night before His crucifixion, Jesus struggled with God in the Garden of Gethsemane. He pleaded with the Father to spare Him from the suffering He was about to endure. Yet, even in His great anguish, He humbled Himself before the Father and uttered these remarkable words of surrender:

“…not my will, but Yours, be done.”
– Luke 22:42

Both Jesus and Jacob struggled with God, and both were wounded.

Both presented requests to the Father. Jacob demanded a blessing, and God granted his request. Jesus, in humility, asked the Father to remove His suffering, but yielded to God’s greater purpose.

Both struggles birthed a new identity. Jacob received a new identity in his new name. Jesus allowed the blessing of a new identity to fall to us.

Through Jesus’s sacrifice, we are granted redemption. He took the wounds we deserve, and we receive the blessing that was rightfully His. Christ overcame for us, and we are renamed “Redeemed.”

Our struggles become defining moments in our lives. In Christ, even the struggle becomes a blessing because it draws us closer to our Savior. Jesus is the true and better Jacob, wrestling with God and sustaining the blow that was due us, so that we might receive the blessing of grace.

“But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.”
Isaiah 53:5

Oh, dear sisters, I pray we would struggle, too. I pray we would find comfort as we wrestle with our Lord and hold on for the blessing that is ours in Christ Jesus. Let us wrestle with the One who has overcome the greatest struggle of all, and all for us.

SRT-Advent15-instagram9s

108 thoughts on "Jesus Is The True & Better Jacob"

1. Louisa says:

Tocnodhwu! That’s a really cool way of putting it!

2. Kayla says:

My soul, my spirit is fed this morning ! Sisters I’ve been going through many changes in the past couple of months, I’ve been wrestling with God. Not understanding his will, bargaining for my wants and what I want. And yet he still blesses me with grace.
    My walk with Christ was renewed a year ago, and it’s is the best thing I’ve ever done! But it has its own challenges.
    But I realize everything happens for a reason, let it not be my will but our father’s❤️

3. Kelsey says:

Yes, I’m going still going through this study and enjoying it even though the advent season has passed. However, this post was so timely as I am waiting on the Lord for marriage and “wrestling” through this same scenario. I know the Lord has called me to put a pause on dating until He says “go”. But even last night before I read this, I had the opportunity to give in to what is available right now instead of waiting on the Lord. Thank you for this post and the encouragement that God knows and sees and is speaking into this area of my life!

4. Stacy says:

I needed this today as I e bee struggling with some disobedience in my life. The hardship I am facing is just a reminder to me that my God is with me. Thankful to be able to wrestle with Him.

5. Wow this has been my favorite day. It spoke directly to me. I rely on myself way too much. I need to surrender to Christ everyday. Surrender to my true identity. I am His and He is mine and that is who I am. I am not defined by my job, my marriage, my school or my personality. I am His daughter and that is where my confidence and joy for life comes from. I am HIS.

6. Stephanie says:

I love this story, because it’s a very true depiction of real relationships. When I fight with my husband, and am honest about how I am feeling, we wrestle with it, but come out of it stronger and with a better understanding and love for one another. This is also true of God! He wants us to be honest with him and wrestle with him, because he is true and right and real so we will always come out of that closer to Him.

7. Sarah Lawrence says:

How can I contact Missy Fuller?

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Sarah! You can email [email protected] and we’ll pass a message along to her!

xoxo-Kaitlin