Jesus Is The True & Better Abraham

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Genesis 12:1-4, John 8:54-56, Galatians 3:6-14

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: Genesis 12:1-4, John 8:54-56, Galatians 3:6-14

Leaving what is known for the unknown of new beginnings takes enormous inner strength and courage. As a newlywed, my husband and I left family and friends for the unknown of the West. We were terrified and expectant, sad and excited all in one breath as we moved across the country to begin a new life together. Perhaps you’ve experienced life-altering decisions like this, too.

What I’ve learned over the years is that God rarely calls us to comfort and convenience but instead to a life of faith and trust. Such is the story of Abraham and God’s everlasting promises to him and his descendants. It is a covenant deeply woven into the fabric of the Advent story.

When we meet Abram, before God changes his name to Abraham, he is living in the land of his people, where he has been for 70 years. But God appeared to Abram with instructions to leave—in faith—the comfort and safety of this familiar life. God promised to make Abram’s name great. The man who had yet to become a father would now father a great new nation—a nation marked by mercy and grace, a living illustration of the forgiveness and love of an everlasting God.

All that was required of Abram was to obey in faith.

Of all the promises God made to Abram, one was key: a son. The long-awaited promised son to an older barren woman and her faithful husband would become the seed of a family tree through which Jesus Christ was born to save all humanity. The first promised son was a foreshadowing of the second, when God would come to earth in flesh and blood to redeem mankind’s past, present, and future sins for a new beginning. Two baby boys, born 2000 years apart, would change the world.

That second baby boy, Jesus Christ, was the true and better Abraham. He, too, left the comfort and safety of His home with His Father. While Abraham’s obedience led generations to the Promised Land, Jesus’s obedience fulfilled the whole of God’s covenant of love to His people, so that we who have faith are also “Abraham’s sons,” heirs to the promise (Galatians 3:6-7). Like Abraham, we are invited to have faith not only in what we cannot see, but also in what has already been secured for us by our good and sovereign Father.

God’s sovereignty over Abraham’s story illuminates the ultimate love God has for us. Jesus is the Son of promise, and all of God’s promises to us are made possible through Him (2 Corinthians 1:20). New beginnings tell the story of grace, mercy, and forgiveness—gifts from a loving Father who is worthy of our faith, even when we cannot see what lies ahead.

Where is God calling us to new beginnings? Will we remain in the familiar or step out in faith?

May we obey His calling and trust that He will fill us with strength and courage, grace and peace, hope and joy—everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). These were the gifts given to Abraham, and they are the Advent gifts freely given to us through Jesus Christ.SRT-Advent15-instagram4

222 thoughts on "Jesus Is The True & Better Abraham"

1. S says:

Obey in faith. I am so much more comfortable questioning, wondering, or pushing back. Controlling or leading-that is where I find strength. And this had led to lots and lots of anxiety. So, this Advent, I pray for just this-‘obey in faith’. God, I pray to obey, to seek You, to notice when flames of anxiety course upwards and to turn to you instead of myself. I pray to rest in the comfort of your love and peace.

2. Joanna says:

My family and I emigrated from Poland 30 years ago. My parents were in their 30’s, and had left their already developed lives to escape the aftermath of communism so that we could have a better life (likely why I am so empathetic to the refugee issue, although the circumstances are much different). As my father nears retirement, the decision has been made that my parents will go back to Poland, and I as a single woman and only child will go with them. I made my decision on trust and knowing that all of our family is there, but that doesn’t change the fact that I am nervous as well. I will be leaving behind a comfortable life, including a job that I’ve come to love and friends who have showed me what it means to be accepted and loved. Still, I trust and lean on God. I know He has something for me. He has rescued me already from an empty life and led me to a career in serving others, and I believe this is just the beginning. I pray for patience and wisdom so that I may take this leap of faith like my parents did so many years ago.

1. AmyW says:

Praying for you in this time of translation.

2. Bekah says:

You have tremendous courage Joanna! I will pray for you as you make this big change.

3. Churchmouse says:

Praying for you, Joanna. What a blessing you are to your parents as they transition to retirement and reconnect with family and the homeland they left so long ago. Your home is neither in the USA nor in Poland. Your home is in Christ Jesus and He dwells within you. He will give you the strength and courage as you journey. Blessings to you all

3. Bree says:

Comfort and convenience, faith and trust. Words that have transformed my life. The only way I can live is to put my hand in my heavenly Father’s hand and know that He leads and Guides me through this life. I would be utterly lost without the Lord. Today, I’m thankful for His constant love and grace in my life. Lifting my heart and my hands to You this morning Father. Thank You for loving me unconditionally. In Jesus Name! Amen.

4. Erika medders says:

Captain by Hillsong is a song that came to mind as I was reading this. A great song to listen and reflect and worship to in accompany if I can recommend. “All my allegiance is rightfully yours…”
    Amen!

1. Kellie says:

Thank you for this song!!

5. Jan says:

I have a son who has people telling him to move without a job, just pack up and come. But we have been praying for the Lord’s leading. If he were to say to me ” the Lord is leading me” I would with tears in my eyes help him to pack. To leave without this is foolish. The center of God’s will is my desire for each of my children and my self too

6. Heather Clement says:

New beginnings. Life is full of them – mine has been anyway. Sometimes the fresh start is a turning back to the Lord after I’ve been so full of myself (and sin) that I couldn’t stand it anymore. Other times, God has allowed things to come into my life that I never would have chosen for myself… painful experiences that left me desperate and crying out to Him. Although these situations left me wounded and broken, He used them to draw me closer, to teach me to lean in to His heart, and to grow something in me that could never have lived before. After these trials, it’s almost as if a fire has ripped through my life, burning up everything in its path. Although it was hard and searing, the Father knew what He was doing.
    Here’s the thing about a controlled burn… it always serves a purpose. It can be used to reduce the invasion of unwanted plants and diseases. Native Americans used prescribed burns to maintain clearings and encourage the growth of plants for later harvest. Wildfires are destructive, but a carefully maintained fire – that has the power to bring forth unspeakable beauty.
    Because nothing can touch me that hasn’t first passed through the hands of my Father, there have been no wildfires in my life. Every second of those flames licking up at me has been carefully tended by the One who knows me best and loves me most. Even if it wasn’t easy to see at the time, what I considered to be devastation was truly preparing the way for a new beginning.
    Abraham understood better than anyone what it’s like to be called from everything that’s familiar into the unknown. “We live by faith, not by sight.” It’s a familiar and often quoted phrase… but living it? That’s another thing entirely. Will we walk forward in obedience, even as we are surrounded by soot and ash? I pray that we will, like Abraham… like Christ… have the courage to set one foot in front of the other on a charred path, knowing that He will bring beauty from the ashes. Know this today… even if you can’t trace God’s hand, you can trust His heart. You are not abandoned. Grab hold of your Father’s hand and your fresh start. He makes all things new.

“But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him’” 1 Corinthians 2:9

1. Jessica says:

Beautiful words Heather! I’ve never thought of the comparison between a controlled fire and wildfire and love that “nothing can touch us that hasn’t first passed through the hand of our Father.” Thank you for sharing!

1. Bree says:

A beautiful post Heather. This spoke to me this morning. Thanks for sharing your heart :)

2. Kristin says:

I also really liked that thought from Heather- the comparison of the two fires. Well said!

2. Heather (MNmomma) says:

So very true Heather……I too have been brought thru the fires in my life. I think I was just suborn enough that it took some serious flames for me to really, truly – FINALLY listen…and live in faith.

3. Theresa says:

Good morning! Total “food” for me today and mimics an entire conversation I was having with my husband last night about challenges and why?? us and why ?? now. Thank you!

4. Kate says:

This really spoke to me this morning. I’ve been in a wildfire for too long trying to maintain it on my own. I need to let go and give it to God. Let him control the fire and take control for me. Leave my comfort zone of independence and allow him to give me the strength and faith I need to BE STILL. And also to allow him to lead me into the new charred path and give me the tools to build a more beautiful life in the light of God. Thank you for this.

5. Victoria says:

Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

7. J says:

God is taking my and husband and me to a foreign place in January. We will be traveling to Asia from the USA to pastor a church. Leaving behind family, parents, children and grandchildren will be hard but we are excited for the door God has opened. I appreciate your prayers as we begin this new journey and prayers for our families as we leave. We have never been so far away but we know this is Gods’s calling at this time in our lives. Thanks for your prayers.

1. Trinity says:

He is faithful! How exciting to be stepping out in faith and INTO his will for your family. Praying peace that passes all understanding over you.

2. Heather (MNmomma) says:

lifting you up this morning!

3. Churchmouse says:

Adding my prayers to all the others! Will be waiting to hear all that God does through you and your husband there

4. Kylee says:

How exciting, J!! Will be praying for peace & a smooth transition for you!

8. Deb says:

Awful spell check changed devos to Devils. How utterly inappropriate.