Jesus Is The True & Better Abraham

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Genesis 12:1-4, John 8:54-56, Galatians 3:6-14

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: Genesis 12:1-4, John 8:54-56, Galatians 3:6-14

Leaving what is known for the unknown of new beginnings takes enormous inner strength and courage. As a newlywed, my husband and I left family and friends for the unknown of the West. We were terrified and expectant, sad and excited all in one breath as we moved across the country to begin a new life together. Perhaps you’ve experienced life-altering decisions like this, too.

What I’ve learned over the years is that God rarely calls us to comfort and convenience but instead to a life of faith and trust. Such is the story of Abraham and God’s everlasting promises to him and his descendants. It is a covenant deeply woven into the fabric of the Advent story.

When we meet Abram, before God changes his name to Abraham, he is living in the land of his people, where he has been for 70 years. But God appeared to Abram with instructions to leave—in faith—the comfort and safety of this familiar life. God promised to make Abram’s name great. The man who had yet to become a father would now father a great new nation—a nation marked by mercy and grace, a living illustration of the forgiveness and love of an everlasting God.

All that was required of Abram was to obey in faith.

Of all the promises God made to Abram, one was key: a son. The long-awaited promised son to an older barren woman and her faithful husband would become the seed of a family tree through which Jesus Christ was born to save all humanity. The first promised son was a foreshadowing of the second, when God would come to earth in flesh and blood to redeem mankind’s past, present, and future sins for a new beginning. Two baby boys, born 2000 years apart, would change the world.

That second baby boy, Jesus Christ, was the true and better Abraham. He, too, left the comfort and safety of His home with His Father. While Abraham’s obedience led generations to the Promised Land, Jesus’s obedience fulfilled the whole of God’s covenant of love to His people, so that we who have faith are also “Abraham’s sons,” heirs to the promise (Galatians 3:6-7). Like Abraham, we are invited to have faith not only in what we cannot see, but also in what has already been secured for us by our good and sovereign Father.

God’s sovereignty over Abraham’s story illuminates the ultimate love God has for us. Jesus is the Son of promise, and all of God’s promises to us are made possible through Him (2 Corinthians 1:20). New beginnings tell the story of grace, mercy, and forgiveness—gifts from a loving Father who is worthy of our faith, even when we cannot see what lies ahead.

Where is God calling us to new beginnings? Will we remain in the familiar or step out in faith?

May we obey His calling and trust that He will fill us with strength and courage, grace and peace, hope and joy—everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). These were the gifts given to Abraham, and they are the Advent gifts freely given to us through Jesus Christ.SRT-Advent15-instagram4

222 thoughts on "Jesus Is The True & Better Abraham"

1. Anastasia says:

I’m so behind on my readings! But this passage and truth hit me SO hard today. It’s so hard to trust the Lord when you don’t know what’s set out beyond that first step of obedience to trust Him to lead me into the uncomfortable. I grew up in a Russian cultural church and lately my heart has just been aching and craving for community, one that I don’t find in my church because of how different my heart feels toward life and God, whereas they see it more traditionally and culturally. I’ve been pondering on leaving this church for so long but just feel STUCK. It’s not so easy to leave, I help lead worship and leaving something like this is like leaving the entire culture behind. NOT okay. Reading this is so hard to process because I know and feel that God has so much more set out for me to enjoy in Him outside of these cultural boundaries, but leaving is so scary. I will definitely be praying for God to work this truth deep into me to the point of strength in knowing the wisest thing to do in my situation. Thank you so much for this passage!

1. sofia says:

Why not both? I was also in your shoes a few years back. Currently I am still in ministry at my Russian church (I look at is as my “missionary” work). But also attend another American church, including bible study and a mom’s group. Best of both worlds :) but this is something God was calling me to do. If you ask with a pure heart, He will make the answer clear… and it might look very different from your own ideas.

2. Nicole says:

Mm it’s such a good reminder that God’s callings are RARELY ones of comfort and convenience, but I will say that He offers rest. Rest is mandatory! I’m a missionary living in Swaziland, so I can totally relate to Sarai and Abram and the others of you who’ve commented. Living my dream is HARD! Because God didn’t plant a tiny dream or one that would only change a small corner. His dreams are HUGE and change-the-world-type, and sometimes they are very hard to live in. But I’ve read a book recently (fiction) but based on several women of extreme faith in Christ’s lineage. It AMAZES me how ONE woman. ONE step of obedience utterly shifts and roots the whole coming of Christ. What if any of those women had said no?!

1. Katie says:

You’re right! I always think of Mary & Martha when I find myself saying something like “if I don’t do this then no one will”. There will always be work to do, even Jesus needed rest & time to himself.

3. Shawn says:

My daughter is also named Rachel, as newlyweds her husband and moved 2 hours away to establish his career. The first 6 months she came “home” often. Over time God has brought new friends, new adventures and new purpose to her. I get to see grow and blossom in beautiful ways. I wouldn’t chose this direction for her, but knows what he doing. God bless you Rachel with all the goodness and excitement of new friendships as you trust God.

4. Rachel Tanedo says:

As a new wife living far from my family I long to return home with my husband and live near my family and old friends. My heart aches because I often feel lonely and that I will never find relationships here or anywhere like I have back home…but reading this hit me hard! Like the author said “God rarely calls us to comfort and convenience.” That’s hard for me to hear and accept, but God is slowly softening my heart and helping me to trust Him- that his ways are so much higher than mine (Isaiah 55:8-9) I’m so thankful for how God is using this study in my life- it’s so challenging.

5. CE says:

Fiancé and I have unexpected work transfer to Pennsylvania. This spoke to me loud and clear tonight.

6. Caiti says:

I am way behind on this…but this hit me right in the feels. While in undergrad and grad school (to be a speech-language pathologist), I worked as the assistant Children’s Pastor at my church. During that time, I loved what I did, and thought about going into ministry, but even the youth pastor told me to stick with speech, it would provide much more security. (And as a “young” girl, I listened to my elders). This last year, at my current church, I was asked to be the Children’s Ministries Coordinator, part-time, and took the job. They have offered me full-time to start summer 2016. (When my contract for SLP is up), and I have decided to take it, but not without worry – How am I going to pay my school loans? As well as all of my “elders”, saying to stick with my well-paying, well-benefitted current position…But this devotion re-centered my heart…Reminded me that our Father, is a good Father. I believe He has called me to minister to the children of the Inland Empire, I believe that He has prepared me for such a time as this, and He will take care of me. Maybe not in ways I expect, but I will be taken care of. Thank you

1. Leslie says:

It’s great that you decided to go for it! I’m getting to that point ,too. God is good!

7. Madeline says:

I am preparing to study abroad in Barcelona for six months and have been struggling with pre-departure anxiety of leaving my family and being away from home for so long. This was the perfect devotional to trust in the Lord, for His plan is greater than anything I could ever dream of!

1. Taylor.Stebbings says:

Hey Madeline… I am heading out to study abroad in Málaga, Spain in a few weeks for the semester and was very comforted but this devotional as I have been experiencing then same anxiety recently. You are not alone, sister!

1. Jessica young says:

Beautiful ones who will be traveling abroad – I was in your shoes 17 years ago after college as I went to study design in the Netherlands. I travelled alone and lived in student housing where God paired me with one who taught me about Christ. That time in my life I truly met our Father. Have faith, God truly is right next to you! Open your hearts and minds for this wonderful journey you are so blessed to go on. Open your eyes and see the Angels God has placed along the way. So fun, God bless you and may this time in your life be for His glory!

8. Cindy Rust says:

We are all so blessed to be a part of this community! I am not sure if this is true or not- but just maybe the ones who began SRT went through their own struggles with Father to get this devotional plan set in motion. And look how we are all being blessed through it! I do not mean to speak out of turn, but from my own experiences in walking with Him, good things come from the struggles we endure :) Cling tightly to our God ladies!!