Seasoned With Salt

from the Colossians reading plan

Colossians 4:2-6, Psalm 145:18-19, Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew 5:16

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Text: Colossians 4:2-6, Psalm 145:18-19, Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew 5:16

If you want to experience heartache and hope in the same breath, read the “Missed Connections” section of Craigslist.

This regret-ridden virtual message board, similar to a milk carton ad for “missing persons,” contains the pleas of locals who cannot shake the weight of a missed opportunity. They lay awake at night, deciding that if different words (or words at all, for that matter) had been spoken to the girl across the room or the boy at the bus stop, they would be together frolicking in daffodils, tasting wedding cakes, or binge-watching Netflix. (A girl can dream, right?)

A few years ago, I might have been tempted to post my own message to that guy across the crowded room:

To the boy in my favorite coffee shop who asked if I was a football fan,
I said no because I was trying to play it cool. I’ve never missed a game.
Also, I just found out you happen to be our new quarterback. Let’s get married.

It’s just so embarrassing to feel misunderstood, isn’t it? But even worse, we can’t leave it alone. Our unquenchable need to be seen and heard curls its fists, marching backward and demanding another chance to be acknowledged. Vowing to only curate attractive qualities and pleasing viewpoints from then on, we rest assured people will treasure our perspectives forever. They don’t.

And yet it is our clumsy, shaky voices that are chosen to communicate something so precious: the gospel. This call is so high and so important that I immediately fear it. If my words are jumbled and my speech begins to stutter, can I cause someone to bypass an encounter with Christ?

As Paul wraps up his letter to the Colossians, he addresses these concerns, advising them to “act wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time” (Colossians 4:5). He continues, “Your speech should always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer each person” (Colossians 4:6).

Before our insecurities rise again, let’s focus in on the interesting way Paul uses the word “salt” here, because it changes everything. Friends, he’s talking about grace! Our job is simply to allow others to taste the salt of grace. We are side-by-side consumers of God’s provision, sharing plates with those around us.

Salt causes thirst. God’s Word doesn’t need our PR efforts. Its mere mention causes sin to salivate for grace. Our job is not to concoct our own savory presentation of the gospel; every ingredient was chosen to feed our own innate hunger. Instead, our task is to speak words from our personal thirst, pointing to the source of Living Water (John 7:37-39).

Salt is a preservative. Grace goes before and behind us, allowing even our faultiest efforts to proclaim His glory. Because of this, we don’t need to focus on results and reactions, but on the surety of God’s control. We can share generously and graciously from a sound-minded spirit.

God does not need us to share the good news, but He chooses us as His vessels of grace. As sharers of the gospel, our job description is less about defending our stance and more about gluing our eyes to His posture.

May the salt of grace season all of our encounters today, and may we be thankful for our God who never misses a connection. Amen.

SRT-Colossians-instagram11

98 thoughts on "Seasoned With Salt"

1. Kylee says:

This has been a major anxiety in my life, ever since I can remember!!! Am I doing a good enough job sharing Christ? Are my words sounding dumb and insincere? Did I blow it in some way and was it the only chance I’ll get? Thank you Lord for this reminder, and for the analogy of salt that won’t soon leave my mind (I’m a major salt lover!). “At the very mention, sin salivates for grace” — amen! Let it be true of us God, may our words be so seasoned they cause sin to salivate for your grace which we all so desperately need. Let it be.

1. Sharyl Cobb says:

Hello Concern for being clear in our presentation of the gospel was something even Paul experienced. In Colossians 4:3, 4, Paul asks the Christians to pray for him as he shared the gospel in prison, “that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.” The first Christians, when they encountered serious opposition and threats from the Jewish national government, asked that they could “speak the word with all confidence….” It is certainly not unworthy to beseech God that we also might confidently share with others “in the way I ought to speak,” being clear with the truth of God’s Word. What we are really praying for is that we will be completely open and unobstructed to the Holy Spirit’s guidance and assistance as we share with those whose minds are blinded, who are sin addicts, and who are often in denial, even, about their wretched condition before God. Most people we have surveyed feel that they are “right with God” and “going to Heaven.” When we asked them the “two questions,” ie., “If you died tonight, do you know that you will be in Heaven?” The overwhelming answer was, “Oh, yes,” or sometimes, “I’m pretty sure I will.” The second question, “When the angel standing at the gate of Heaven (common perception!) were to ask you, ‘Why should I let you into Heaven,’ what would you say to him?” usually would get this answer, “Because I’m a good person. I keep the Ten Commandments,” or other responses very close to that. Yes, we are up against the deception of the Enemy, the great wall of many different false teachings out there concerning how to qualify for eternal life. Peter’s bold answer, on the Day of Pentecost, after people had expressed sorrow over their sin of crucifying God’s Messiah and crying out, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” Was simple enough: “Repent (turn completely to Christ and away from all sin) and be baptized (they understood that, because of John’s baptism, to be water immersion) in the name of Jesus Christ for (into, unto, with a view to, for the purpose of) the forgiveness of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” He went on, boldly challenging them to “Save yourselves from this wicked generation!” (Acts 2:36-40) 3,000 people responded that day and were baptized as a response to his message.
      How could Peter be so bold, how could the new Christians in Acts 4:24-31 be so bold, and how could Paul, in chains, in Rome, be so bold for Christ, as he eventually was? How could he speak calmly, boldly, clearly, and with full assurance before Nero and the Roman guards, and unbelieving Jews who came to him, and perhaps others? It was because of a little-thought-of passage in Luke 11:9-13. Boldness and clarity comes from the Holy Spirit because we pray to God with all our heart and with all our faith behind it. It also comes from a great familiarity with the Word of God and our complete surrender to its truth, a real submission to its demands on our own life. We must PREPARE to share the Gospel of Christ — Ephesians 6:15. We don’t have living apostles to “coach” us about what to say or share, or what the gospel even is, but we have their writings. And, there is nothing wrong, even, with taking a class or two or a dozen on how to effectively share the Gospel in this challenging age. That’s the job of evangelists, pastors, and teachers, to equip us for “the work of service!” (Ephesians 4:11,12) Part of that “service” is sharing the gospel with others, as the early Christians did (Acts 8:4,5).
      As “salt,” we must first genuinely love those we wish to share with, and they must see our love and know it is real. People don’t “care how much you know until they know how much you care.” Sharing that comes from that mutually-understood love, salted with much real, concerned prayer, depending on God’s grace, His answer to our prayer, will fill us with His Holy Spirit, and we will be able to respond to people from His “overflow.” The Holy Spirit is the “salt” that people need to see in our lives.

2. Sarabeth says:

A thought occurred while contemplating how I can season my conversation with grace: that applies when I am speaking of myself as well. A lot of the time I am negative towards myself, but the grace I am to show others (by their actions or speaking of the grace God has shown me), I need to show towards myself in the same conversations.

1. Kathy says:

Thanks for that reminder, Sarabeth.

2. Jenny R says:

Last year while leading a youth AWANA small group, I was called to give my testimony. Until that day I muddled through different events and struggled to see with clarity how pieces fit together – and in that moment the Holy Spirit told my story through my voice and it left me floored. I wish I had it on audio, I want to hear it like that again! It was such a concrete example of the words being given in the moment, I can’t replicate it. I don’t know which of the girls needed to hear it, but I know it didn’t fall on deaf ears. I’m so blessed to be a part of His story and plan.

1. Jenny R says:

Well, that attached at the wrong place! Lol

3. Frances says:

Never thought of grace being the salt, but oh so true! And I love how this ended with a reminder to basically not speak about us but all about Him.

4. Ikelau says:

indeed I am so thankful for our God who never missed a connection! Thank you SRT for this reminder.

His connections may not always seem like the most sensible, or when we need them, but they are exactly what He had planned. Thank you Lord for your encouragement at just the right moments! May my sisters take part in giving and receiving those moments today.

5. Carrie Orthner says:

I know that when I am focused on His posture toward me which is grace, kindness and love, I am able to have that same posture toward others. My hope is that His love and grace being poured into me will spill over and touch the lives of those I come in contact with. It is His kindness that leads to repentance (Romans 2:4) not the eloquent defense of my stance as it relates to my faith.

6. Alex says:

How wonderfully refreshing that we don’t have to pretend or come up with the right words. Simply being our “changing” selves authentically in community is enough. His grace is enough.

7. Carly says:

So eloquently written. Thank you SRT!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thanks for joining us, Carly! Praying for you today!

xoxo-Kaitlin

8. Juliet says:

Wow I loved this so much!! Salt causes thirst…”we speak graciously, from our own personal thirst pointing to the LIVING WATER”! Beautiful perspective and it takes the pressure off of ourselves and points it all to Him. I also loved when she said we worry less about defending our stance when our eyes are glued to His posture. Great truths to ponder today!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thanks for joining us today, Juliet! Grateful for you!

xoxo-Kaitlin