A Holy Calling

from the Colossians reading plan

Colossians 1:24-2:7, 2 Timothy 1:8-10, 1 Corinthians 15:10, Isaiah 11:1-2

BY Vivian Mabuni

Situated right near the bathroom, our side of the dorm floor drew high traffic. The sound of laughter competed with the high whizzing of the blow dryers. Bits of conversation could be overheard each time the door squeaked open. Constant commotion filled the halls, day and night.

This particular Friday afternoon an abnormal hush permeated the hallways. My roommate, like the rest of the girls on the floor, had left for the weekend. My door was left open out of habit. I paced back and forth inside the room, talking under my breath, and glanced up from my notes when I heard a knock. Kimberly, from down the hall, popped her head in and asked, “Hey! What are you doing?”

“Oh, I’m just practicing for a talk I’m giving tomorrow on training people how to communicate about their relationship with God. Wanna listen and give me some feedback?”

I tried not to look surprised when she nodded and plopped down on my bed. I invited all the girls on my floor to our dorm Bible study every week, but Kimberly never showed interest.

I was just a young college girl, still learning the depth of the gospel, but even then I knew I played a part in a holy calling: “to make God’s message fully known” (Colossians 1:25).

As I went through the presentation, Kimberly smiled and nodded, playing the part of supportive, interested listener. I finally reached the part explaining two circle diagrams. One circle had Christ on the throne inside the life and self surrendered to Christ. The other had self on the throne and Christ outside the life.

“Which circle best represents your life, Kimberly?” She pointed to the circle with Christ outside.

“Which circle would you like to represent your life?” She pointed to the circle with Christ on the throne.

At that point I put down my notes. “Kimberly, really, you’ve been so great listening and paying attention and all. You don’t need to pretend about the circles.”

But Kimberly wasn’t pretending. She wanted to know Christ, and I had the joy of introducing her to Him. We talked for a bit more and then, with tears in both our eyes, we prayed together as she surrendered her life to Jesus and joined God’s family. And the hallways around the dorm floor filled with angels celebrating new life (Luke 15:10)!

Like Paul, our holy calling is to make the gospel known wherever we are, to proclaim Jesus—not empty doctrine, not some moral or ethical code (Colossians 1:28, 1 Corinthians 2:2). Paul’s letter to the Colossian Christians is infused with rich language focused solely on the person and work of Jesus Christ. Note how many times “in Christ” occurs in today’s reading. In Him are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (v. 2:3). We are to walk in Him (v. 2:6), be rooted and built up in Him (v. 2:7). The focus and source of life is found in Jesus.

As believers, new and seasoned alike, we have the privilege of proclaiming Christ to those around us, to help them grow in their understanding of Him. Whether the dorm floor or workplace, neighborhood or soccer field, we are placed there by God to point others to Him (Acts 17:26)! He is our holy calling.

May we faithfully proclaim Him, so that others might see Christ in us, “the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27).

SRT-Colossians-instagram4

76 thoughts on "A Holy Calling"

1. Maddox says:

Heading back to school tomorrow, I need the strength of God and the encouragement of his church to help me be bold this year!!!!

2. Monique Summers says:

Very fitting devotion as my family prepares to go out of state on a mission trip today- may we just show them HIM!

3. Andie Walton says:

Dear Lord, thank you for your wisdom and please help me to be rooted in you at all times!

4. Nikki Falvey says:

I am an archaeologist and work around mostly critical, hedonistic atheists or outspoken, luke warm new agers. It can be very intimidating sharing the gospel among such a crowd and even more difficult to practice what I preach! It can also be difficult to know when is an appropriate time to share, especially at work. I know many of you are in difficult positions as well. Praying that the Lord gives us the strength and joy to proclaim His Glory with our words and actions in whatever venue He’s given us.

1. Andie Walton says:

I received my degree in anthro and museum studies and experienced the same things.

5. Ashley says:

As a science teacher, it is so hard to have to bite my tongue, metaphorically, when asked if I believe in God. I find myself sharing bits and pieces as days go along. One day a student was talking about speaking in tongues. The students of the class we starting to give her a hard time because they wanted to her to do it right then. As a Pentecostal believer I felt God calling me to speak up and to give her some help. So I explained that it’s not something you just do. A lot of students are either Catholic or Baptist (which I was born and raised), so they couldn’t understand the power of speaking in tongues, but it planted a seed. Hopefully through little opportunities like this I will be able to share Jesus love for others.

1. Angela says:

Awesome! I am also a Pentacostal believer, and that topic isn’t always easy to talk about. May God guide you and encourage you as you step out in faith and obedience! God bless :)

6. Madison says:

1 Corinthians 15:10- any newness, any change, any transformation in me is solely and fully because of Jesus. I am far from where I was, and I praise Him for that. But I am also aware of my constant and desperate need for Jesus. I am confident that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion. My life is evidence of what Jesus can do. Why would I not want to proclaim that deep joy to everyone I possibly can? Praying that Jesus would make all of bold and brave enough to proclaim His name fearlessly and with joy, wherever we may be.

1. Jennifer says:

Thank you for your words Madison. You captured exactly all of my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

7. Liz says:

Wow this message is crazy timing! I work for Intervaristy Christian fellowship, a college ministry and I am leading a dorm bible study for college students. There are many people who don’t know jesus in that dorm and I have been challenging my students to reach out to their friends and we are beginning to see fruit! Pray for me tonight as I lead a study about the Good Samaritan that I would feel the Spirit leading and guiding my words as we may have people who need to follow jesus this very night. I believe God will work miracles on this little campus in PA!

1. Helene Mikell says:

praying for you, Liz!

2. Princess says:

How did everything go? God bless you!