Established In Love

from the Ephesians reading plan

Ephesians 3:14-21, Philippians 4:12-13, 1 Corinthians 13:1-7, 13, 2 Corinthians 9:8

BY Kaitlin Wernet

A word to the wise: do not prank call my parents today to ask if their refrigerator is running.

That is, of course, unless you’d like to trigger their post-traumatic stress involving a certain recent refrigerator leak… turned flood… turned home renovation. It was a rough time, you guys.

In all seriousness, this Whirlpool really lived up to its name, creating a lagoon of lettuce water beneath the wooden floorboards, which curled up like soggy noodles. After clearing out all of the furniture and listening for weeks to the hum of many vacuums, my parents were relieved to make it to the simplest part of the process: choosing a replacement refrigerator. They ordered the model closest in appearance to its predecessor, measuring the length and width of the cabinet opening, checking and rechecking its size.

If you know anything about my dad, it’s that his yellow measuring tape is a force to be reckoned with. It’s always precise, down to the milli-est of meters. So it was with utmost confidence that my parents declared the dimensions of the new fridge’s home.

But when the delivery man placed the refrigerator in its compartment, there was a slight problem. Now, if you’re afraid I’m going to tell you the precious, yellow measuring tape was wrong, do not fear! Oh, it was correct. The length and width of the new Whirlpool slid snugly into the pocket where the former fridge once stood, but… it stuck out about 6 inches too far. While the length and width had been calculated to the exact millimeter, no one had considered the depth.

Each time my parents step foot in the kitchen, they are stonewalled by the refrigerator’s annoying edge, an ever-present reminder of their miscalculation.

When I read Paul’s words in Ephesians 3, I imagine they are the kind he’d like us to place in a conspicuous spot in our homes, maybe with magnets on the refrigerator:

“I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love…”
– Ephesians 3:17-18

We can guess that Paul, being the energetic guy we all know and love, didn’t intend these words to be admired only during our late-night cookie-dough raids. No, I think he was calling us out on our own miscalculations about God’s love.

If we, as Christ’s followers, understand and proclaim one thing about God, shouldn’t it be His love?

Since love is the currency and cornerstone of our faith, and others will know we are Christians by that love (John 13:35), we’d like to think we have that part all figured out. But what if we don’t? Are we doing love wrong?

Paul gives us this assurance: God’s love cannot be constrained by our own lack of understanding. God guarantees that His love will always obnoxiously stick out further than we think, bumping into our warm, fuzzy expectations with a reminder of Himself.

Its length embraces us in a wingspan of Alpha to Omega.
Its width includes us in the family tree of all believers.
Its depth reaches us buried beneath the wages of sin.
Its height draws us to eternal heavenly glory.

Love establishes and anchors us in the gospel. It is longer, wider, deeper and higher than any dimensions we can muster. We can spend our days settling for a comfortable, comprehendible love, or we can seek to be stretched by the true fullness of His love.

Today, may we make a space for Him to surprise us without limitation, so that we may see the true length, width, depth and height of the Father’s love. Amen.

SRT-Ephesians-instagram8

127 thoughts on "Established In Love"

1. Courtney says:

These are the very verses the Lord used to bring me to Him and establish my own relationship with him apart from my parents. I had doubted that God really wanted to save me. I had doubted that I had any hope. I had feared that my family would spend and eternity together in glory and I would be separated to spend it alone in judgment. But these words were the assurance I needed that God’s love for me was and is so beyond imagination, I had not become undesirable to Him. I was and is His precious creation whom He has loved from eternity past, who His only Son died to rescue! Praise the Lord for His indescribable gift!

1. Lindsey Sanders says:

That’s wonderful, Courtney! Praise Jesus!

2. KLeighWilson says:

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. -John Piper

I've realized that I am enjoying God the most when I am aware of His immense love. Joy overflows when we rest in His love. When I am enjoying God's love, He is glorified! If only that cycle could continue 24/7 for the rest of my life…When my side falters, when I am distracted, when I bow down to other idols in my heart, who steps in to kick start this love cycle again? Not me. God. God's continual, unchanging love.

3. Shirley Burkenpas says:

Thank God , we are not God….He know's everything,etc….I can't even remember the simplest…resting totally in His Arms…confident & assurance in His unlimited love….PTL!

1. Thanks for sharing this! Beautiful song :)

4. Caroline says:

If we all only knew God's love for what it really was…. there is power in His love and there is freedom in His love!!!! More of your love Lord! Fresh revelations for ALL of us! http://www.in-due-time.com

5. Ashley says:

Someone just shared these verses with me and here they are again. I love it when God highlights things

1. Lucy says:

Ashley, thank you for the idea of highlighting. In our house, we call those instances 'winks from God' but I like the concept of things being highlighted by Him, too.

2. Lindsey says:

LOVE the idea of God highlighting things!

6. Laura says:

I don´t usually write comments…but I think, what happened this morning, with today devotions is worth telling.

I´ve had the kind of week (may I say a little more?) in which my prayers and times with the Lord had not been what they should. You know, quick prayers, full of thoughts of "to do" lists, etc. Along with it, that sense of guilt of knowing that my walk with God should be so much more.

Woke up early to prepare breakfast for my toddler boy and baby girl, and between bananas and pancakes, began to sing "Yes, Jesus loves me…the Bible tells me so" to them , when suddenly I found tears coming from my eyes, as I felt the assurance of God´s love in such a special way….and when I less deserve it .

And…oh surprise…today´s devotion is "Established in love". May his love abound in us in every way. And may I be established on it. Amen.

1. shereadstruth says:

LOVE this so much, Laura! He is so good to us, isn't He?! So grateful you shared today. Praying you continue to encounter His love today.

xoxo-Kaitlin

2. drea says:

Love it, Laura! He is so good <3

1. Laura says:

Yes, He is! :)

3. tina says:

How great and loving our God Laura….Sending you and yours a hug and love from across the pond…xx

1. Laura says:

:) Thank you, Tina! God bless you! It is always a huge encouragement to read your comments.

4. Dana says:

Such goodness in this!

5. Lucy says:

Thank you, Laura.

7. Jolien says:

-this is were I have been for a long time just comfortable. Pray for me as I challenge myself and seemed to be stretched.

1. shereadstruth says:

Jolien, I find myself settling for comfortable love more often than not, so I'm praying for both of us today!

Asking God to surpass your expectations and surprise you with His goodness today.

Love to you, friend!