Grace Day

from the Daniel reading plan

Jeremiah 29:11-14

BY She Reads Truth

We can all use a grace day, can’t we? Take this day as an opportunity to catch up, pray, and just rest in the presence of the Lord. Pray the scripture below for a specific woman in your life and for yourself.

“For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and places where I banished you”—this is the Lord’s declaration. “I will restore you to the place I deported you from.”
Jeremiah 29:11-14 HCSB

SRT-Daniel_instagram6

SRT-GEPC_Banner_640x150

49 thoughts on "Grace Day"

1. Joanna says:

Reading Jeremiah 29:13 today has really hit me hard. I have been struggling going through so much lately and I have cried and pleaded with God about the situation. But I realized that I haven't been seeking Him with my whole heart. I give Him a few minutes during the bible studies time and maybe while a song is on the radio, but I haven't been seeking Him with all of me, my heart, my soul, my eyes, etc. So thankful that God keeps returning my eyes and heart to where they should be focused, ON HIM!!

1. shewalksawesome says:

Love your honesty. I think I have the same problem but I feel so strengthened that we are on this journey together, lifting each other up and toward Him!

2. Luz says:

Thank you Lord!

3. Nancy says:

This is one of my favorite verses! Lord help me Seek you always.

4. Susan says:

This verse gives me hope that I am not forgotten.

1. jessiechatchat says:

Praying for you this morning, Susan.

2. April says:

Susan – you are not forgotten. What's more, He will NEVER forget you. He promises, when you seek Him with all of your heart, you WILL find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). He says when you call on & pray to Him, He will listen (Jeremiah 29:12). He won't hide from you, He won't make you jump thru hoops just to see if you lose interest in searching for Him – you were made by Him, for His glory (Isaiah 43:7). He wants to be found by you, Susan. He has not forgotten you, He has plans only you can fulfill – for His glory, plans that include hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

5. joanne says:

So thankful He know our way, and that He is willing to be found. Where would we be without those two facts.

6. shewalksawesome says:

This summer, my priest recommended I read about Mother Teresa’s dark night of the soul. It ended up launching a whole slew of dark night studying and today’s scripture brings that to mind. It’s consoling to remember that even holy men and women like Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross felt sometimes like Good wasn’t hearing them or like He was distant and inaccessible for a time. The good news is that the darkest nights always end and the daybreak is an even greater relief. I try (not always with rip-roaring success) to lean into that distance instead of fight it and allow God to use it like a sculptor’s tool to mold my heart and increase my yearning for Him. Prayers that all of us can seek Him WHOLE heartedly and that He can scrub the unnecessary distractions and excuses out of our hearts.

1. MNmomma (heather) says:

Amen!

2. Beverly says:

Leaning into the distance and wholeheartedly seeking Him… I agree!

7. Tonya says:

I've always read these verses as a reminder that God has eternity in mind for Christians. God DOES listen to me when I pray and He IS found by me when I seek him and, no matter what I must face on earth, one day He WILL restore me when I see His face in heaven. It is comforting to me when going through trials to know that God has a refining purpose for the difficulties I face, for it has been in my most painful times that I've experienced the most growth. We must remember that God's provision for us does not always look like we want it to in this broken earthly life, but God does not abandon us in our pain.

1. MNmomma (heather) says:

Agreed Tonya…..I know that for me, when I have been the most hurt, the most broken….these are the times I have literally felt picked up and carried. He is there…..loving me, carrying me…..

8. hannah says:

It's so important to understand the context of this verse. God is speaking to His people in exile about what will happen after the exile is over 70 years later. Most of the people hearing this message won't be alive to see the fulfillment of it.
    The good plans that God has for us are absolutely good, but they are for His people as a whole, and they encompass generations. This verse doesn't mean that any one individual is guaranteed prosperity as we define it.
    I don't say that to rain on anyone's parade. This verse is just so misused (I"m not accusing SRT of that at all, but there's so much irresponsible teaching on this verse out there) and it breaks my heart when people are given a false hope and then they feel disillusioned with God or with the church. It's so easy for me to place a false hope in future circumstances, but I want my hope to be only in Him.

1. Brittany says:

I agree, Hannah! While I think God does use verses like these to speak to specific circumstances, it is so important to realize that our hope has to be in God Himself—not in what He can do for us. It’s a hard thing to do sometimes, but it requires us to trust Him and His heart for us (and humanity as a whole). That may not include us getting the future we dream of, but it does include His very best when we choose to rest in Him!

1. hannah says:

Thanks for hearing my heart on that and for your thoughtful response! I didn't mean to give anybody the impression that I don't think Bible verses can speak to specific circumstances, I definitely believe that. I just think it can be misleading to put 29:11 on a graduation card, for example, because no 18year old wants to hear that Gods plans for them wont come to pass for 70 years! But there are lots of verses that can be applied to our lives without losing the original context. I agree, it all comes down to trusting His heart, and you conveyed that beautifully!

2. Amber says:

Beautifully said, Hannah! What I love about these verses is that they show the heart God has towards us – good, not evil, available, not distant. I see them play out in my life all the time, but not always in my outward circumstances. Often, my circumstances do not change at all, but my heart does! He indeed has plans for good and not for evil and does give me hope and a future. Sometimes these things are manifested by external circumstances, but most of the time they are hidden in my heart as my circumstances remain the same, yet I’m able to bear fruits of the Spirit and love the unloveable, joy in the midst of sorrow, and have peace in times of trial. God is good and always available to us. His desire is that we will seek Him with our whole heart. He will always be found by us. He will give us strength to walk through hardship. He will give us a hope and a future!

1. shewalksawesome says:

Amber, I see that all the time in my life: I change even if my circumstances don’t. The hard and the beautiful of it is that those internal changes often take the longest but they bear the biggest influence on my life and are often even better than I asked for. When God gives, He gives abundantly!

1. Carrie says:

I feel the same but I am starting to realize God gives life, not things. The life brings the changes and they are always for the better. Where He is bringing us is going to be wonderful.

1. hannah says:

Carrie, that's so good! Even the things God gives us are ultimately about giving us life!

2. MNmomma (heather) says:

Sooooo very true Amber!

3. jessiechatchat says:

4. hannah says:

Amber, I agree, and even reading your description of how you can have hope and be an overcomer in the midst of difficult circumstances gave me hope! Thank you!

5. Ashley says:

I love this "Often, my circumstances do not change at all, but my heart does." I pray to be a woman and a community that doesn't pray for new and shiny, but prays to overcome and remember what our purpose as humans is: to fulfill God's story and add to His Kingdom.

God, please take my selfishness and help to remember my true purpose. Loving You, loving others. Help me to remember Your plans for me include adding to Your fulfillment, created at the beginning of time. That is SO much bigger than anything I could possibly wish for in this lifetime.

6. Beverly says:

I love how you point out that these verses show the heart that God has for us – good and available. This brought to mind my own love language of quality time. And being in a season of what has seemed like senseless waiting to me, may in fact be God giving me what I need most. It’s also true that although my circumstances are not yet changing, my heart most assuredly is. Thank you for sharing these words, Amber!

3. SharonT says:

I agree Hannah. These verses do bring me hope. Hope because God does have a plan even if I don't see and experience the totality of it. He hasn't forgotten, He is with me.

1. hannah says:

That's a wise, hopeful way to read it Sharon!

4. Danielle says:

I was thinking about the context right away when I saw this was the scripture. We learn about God’s character, and his own love for us in Jesus. However, it was a specific circumstance in history that this was pointed to. I remember as a younger Christian hearing the first couple verses, but being oblivious to the latter about the exile. And so I was taught to take it on circumstantially in my life. Thankfully the hunger to keep learning and studying, I learned otherwise. But it was very good of you to point this out Hannah because there are young first time believers reading and learning!

5. Bri says:

I completely agree with this, but has left me curious. I am in the process of trying to choose a college and a major and whether to pursue collegiate sports. There's just a lot to process through. So what does God think and say about my future?

1. hannah says:

Bri this is a really important question, but it's one of those questions the Bible doesn't speak to. There are lots of promises that do apply to your life, but they won't necessarily help you make a choice like this.
        This is one of those times where you can rule out certain things that the Bible prohibits, but you still have a broad array of choices, and that's where the Holy Spirit comes in.
        In the Book of Acts, Paul was making decisions about where to go. He had the Bible (just the OT at that time) memorized, but it didn't speak to his specific questions. God spoke to him in a dream , in a vision, through prophetic messages, and through other believers, and he made his decisions based on those messages that were inspired by the Holy Spirit. So even though the Bible might not tell you what major to choose, it does promise that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth, and nothing He reveals to you will ever contradict the Bible. Does that help?

1. Zuriel says:

Wonderful answer!

2. Madi Grace says:

Bri I was in your place about 2 years ago and thought the same. I had to realize no matter what I choose God would get me to where I needed to be. When you open up your heart and ask him to guide you in your decision making he will give you answers. Sometimes it’s in big bold acceptance/ rejection letters and others it’s the nagging feeling in your heart. Always remember God is in control and he has an amazing plan for you and you alone. You have a purpose and a place in this world, you will find the right school and pick the right major, just let go and let God

6. aprilmcwhite says:

Hannah, thank you so much for sharing this! I learned the true context and meaning of these verses a few years ago and there is such a deeper, richer meaning when understood in the context! God was giving hope to a people in exile, to HIS people who had lost everything, reminding them that they would not be exiles forever. What a gracious God!

7. Christa says:

Thank you for pointing this out, Hannah! This verse is definitely taken out of context a lot. Not that God doesn’t have plans for us or that he doesn’t want to give us a hope and a future. He definitely does. And we definitely have been given hope in Jesus. But it can be dangerous when people read it and say, “Oh, well I’ve been worrying about getting this new job/finances/fill-in-the-blank, but God says here that I will prosper, so it must work out the way I want it to.” The danger in that is that it often doesn’t end exactly how we want it to, so if we read this as a promise from God to specifically bring us prosperity individually, then when it doesn’t happen, we will see Him as breaking His promise. however, it was written to His people in exile. and His promise did come true. He is a promise-keeping God. He cannot lie.

8. danettelw says:

I know that I am a bit behind, as I just was introduced to this amazing group, I have to share. Because of what you said Hannah. Yes, I am one who has seen and lived through the very truth at its core,these verses didn't mean that our circumstances should be our "cornerstone" but that Christ has to be! I marked my bible on these verses, "11-04-2007." One week before my 20 year old daughter was tragically killed by a drunk driver. I am sitting here in stunned silence! I know for sure, HE knew what was one week ahead. He was certainly speaking to all of us, but I believe He was preparing my heart for what was 7 days away. He has given me, my son, all of us who were shaken by this a "hope and a future!" Even when the biggest storm came, the biggest ROCK came crashing down, once the pain moved a little behind the reality, our precious Lord was still there, arms open wide! I have joy again, (not necessarily happiness all the time), and my HOPE remains, without it I would be gone too! God is good!

9. Amanda Wilson says:

I don’t know, I am kind of on the fence on this. on one side, yes I think it is important to see the context of the scripture but also I believe God’s word is living and breathing. I’ve read things one day and gotten something from it, then later got something completeley different. I believe He speaks to us where we are. Is that the wrong way to read the bible? I’ve heard many answers on this. And no, I don’t think we should always expect to prosper (in the way we think of prospering) but I think this message of jeremiah 29:11 is true to all of us, here and now. But we have to realize just because bad things are maybe happening to us does not mean God is not working on our good plans and prosperity. I think God let’s hard things come to us so we CAN prosper. It’s the hardest times in my life that have brought me the greatest growth. And I have clung to this verse knowing it is all working for my good. Here and Now.