The Gift of His Word and Body

from the The Gift of His Word and Body reading plan

1 Corinthians 12:12-27, Hebrews 10:23-25, Galatians 6:1-2, Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 3:16-17

BY Raechel Myers

“The Christian life is personal, but it’s not private.”

I sat in my pastor’s office, trying to work through the scope of some of Paul’s letters in the New Testament a couple of years ago, and this was his exhortation to me. He was speaking to me as a fellow leader, but as my brother in Christ and as my pastor even more.

If your relationship with Christ is not personal—if you aren’t in unique communication with Him on a personal level of belief and worship—you are missing a critical part of the Gospel.

Likewise, if your relationship with Christ is not made evident in your life—if it is not a part of your daily coming and going and relationship with others—you are missing a critical piece of the Gospel.

This idea felt abstract at the time, but the more I thought about it over the days and months and years that followed, the more I have come to understand it isn’t simply an isolated idea, but a unifying relationship between God’s provisions of His Word and His Body, the Church.

God’s Word makes the Christian life personal. Because it is living and active, and through the work of the Holy Spirit, God’s Word comes to each of us in unique ways at different times. It is always true and that truth never changes, but the Bible is an extremely personal book. As the only written revelation of God to His people, it is a lavish gift of story, love, instruction and promise.

God’s Church makes the Christian life public. My pastor also commented that the Church is a completely perfect institution… until you add people to it. And it’s true—adding sinners to any equation makes things messy (sometimes very messy!), but Jesus never, ever promised tidy. And messy should never be a reason to give up on God’s gift. We’re called to live life with one another, reminding each other of what we already profess (because we are so good at forgetting, aren’t we?). We’re supposed to gather often, rejoice and mourn together, forgive each other and work alongside each other. God’s Word tells us to bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2), restore each other from our transgressions (Galatians 6:1), and hold fast together to the confession of our faith (Hebrews 10:23).

None of this is tidy, all of it is messy.

None of this is private, all of it is public within the body.

Friends, the Christian life is personal, but it is not private. God provided us with His holy Word and His Church. Let’s hold tight to these lavish gifts and trust the Lord to provide us with all we need to live messy and purposeful lives for His glory.

SRT-TITG_instagram11 SRT-Daniel_BANNER_614X150

143 thoughts on "The Gift of His Word and Body"

1. Millie says:

Thank you Lord for blessing us with the body of the church and your personal but public word❤️ they are incredible gifts that we have received from you and we are fortunate to have been blessed with such things!!

2. Lyndsey says:

Even though these two things are opposites (personal and public) they affect each other. My personal life with Christ has suffered lately (not making enough time for him) and after reading this I’ve realized my “church” life has suffered as a result. Instead of going to church less, I’ve barley been going at all. Union and fellowship are extremely important, there’s a lot of power in corporate worship and prayer, that I’m missing out on, as well as the intimate, personal connection with Christ that is so special and unique to every believer. Thanks for this, God really spoke to me through these scriptures today :)

23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

3. Jocabeth says:

This is a beautiful reading, that touches on something I have struggled with for w long time in our church
    Slowly different groups have decided to congregate on theme it own and it saddens me to see people leave. Our church is not perfect, and. Our leaders have made mistakes, as well as our members. I myself have been distant from my church. I hope the Lord can restore the relationships we once had, and that we may forgive one another like he has. This topic is not talked about often, and not in this sense either. We are sinners, every single one of us, in a single body. And that will be messy, and sometimes painful, but we shouldn’t let that get in the way of our relationship with God. Thank you for this reading, and I pray to God I can bring this into my congregation and bring some words of hope and community to us all.

4. Erin says:

Help me Lord, be willing to be public in the church and tra

1. Ellie says:

Yes very good information

5. BlessedandFavored says:

I will always strive for that ultimate personal relationship with God

6. Emily says:

I’ve been feeling discontent in my small group, feeling like my husband and I don’t belong there. But if meeting together for fellowship is a gift, maybe it’s being attacked by the evil one. May I remember to pray in all circumstances, so that I can enjoy the presence and wisdom of The Lord.

7. Agyzabelle says:

Help me Lord God to not keep my Christian Life private but personal

8. Gretel says:

I love that saying, the Christian life is personal, but not private. Lord, help me live you out and encourage others to do the same!