The Saving Work of Christ

from the The Saving Work of Christ reading plan

John 19:17-18, John 19:28-30, John 20:1-2, John 20:15-16, John 20:19-21, 1 Corinthians 15:12-22, 1 Corinthians 15:50-58, Romans 5:6-21, 1 John 2:1-2, 1 John 4:10

BY Raechel Myers

The gospel story begins with our original glory and quickly proceeds to mankind’s original sin. But sin is not the whole story. When God created man, He was also creating the form He Himself would one day take on as Jesus. You see, God had a plan to make us new againa plan that spanned life to death to eternal life.

That’s a pretty big concept, I know. Let’s unpack it together:

Man was dead in his sin. He sacrificed animals on altars and sought priests in temples, all in an effort to get to God. But the curse was too strong and the debt too great. A Greater Sacrifice would need to be made in order for God to reconcile us to Himself (2 Corinthians 5:17-19). Yet in His vast goodness and mercy, our God was seeking after us and had been at work all along.

God, the Creator of all things, became man: a God-Man. He walked and breathed and hungered and wept, and lived a humble, servant’s life—a sinless life.  Mankind was in a debt so deep the only payment was death—His or ours. And when the God-appointed time came, He was betrayed by His own friend, put on trial, and crucified on a cross for a crime that was not His. It was mine. And it was yours.

Jesus was the perfect sacrifice, the spotless Lamb. The blood He shed eliminated the need for the blood of sheep and goats. Man no longer needed altars or priests to approach the Almighty, but could now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence (Ephesians 3:12).

His death on the Cross paid for Adam’s sin and every single sin that was or ever will be. While we were still slaves to our sin, Christ died our death sentence (Romans 5:8). He paid the debt we owed but could never pay, and bought us life, hope, and direct access to the Father. His agonizing death was our ransom.

Christ’s life and death ransomed us from the curse, but that’s not all! In order for any of this to matterif any of this can truly save usthen what happens next is absolutely paramount.

Here is the cornerstone of the Gospel: Christ did not stay dead.

After three days in the grave, Christ rose from the dead, left the tomb and grave clothes behind, and appeared to many before ascending into Heaven whereeven nowHe sits at the right hand of God the Father (Mark 16:19).

Death has lost its power, swallowed up in the resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:55-56).

Sisters, wherever you are right now, whatever is distracting you or worrying you, whoever or whatever is vying for your attention, whether you feel needed or hurt or loved todayput it all aside for a moment and hear this loud and clear: Christ. Did. Not. Stay. Dead. He is alive!

This Gospel story may feel like a lot to wrap your mind around. Scripture gives us a word to describe it: propitiation, which means “to substitute or appease.” Jesus’ perfect life, death, and resurrection are a substitute for our sin. His sacrifice on the Cross is the only thing that makes us righteous before the Father. He is the “propitiation” for our sins (1 John 4:10).

Our sins were charged to Him. His righteousness was credited to us.

He takes our dirty sins and, in exchange, He credits us with His clean and perfect righteousness. (I know—it’s an incredible gift!) So, when God looks at me, my sins are covered by the pure white righteousness of Christ (Jude 1:24).

The God who created us came down and lived the sinless life you and I never could. Then  He laid His spotless life down in place of yours and mine. And when Christ rose from the dead, He lifted the unbearable burden of our sin.

Because of this, you can stand blameless before Him, no longer His enemy but His beloved child.

“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
– Romans 6:23

SRT-TITG_instagram7

SRT-Daniel_BANNER_614X150

154 thoughts on "The Saving Work of Christ"

1. Victoria says:

Jesus’ resurrection is truly a victory – one that shows us that we too, undeserving sinners, can have new life in Him. What a beautiful thing!

2. Summer Didier says:

I have a friend and he’s in the process of getting to know Jesus. He believes in God, it’s just that he challenges and questions the Bible itself and recently he’s come to me question the concept of hell. And the way he sees it is that if God loves EVERYONE unconditionally, how/why would he send someone to hell for all eternity. And I guess I’m having trouble trying to explain that hell is just separation from God(lack of God makes it a terrible place) and why there has to be a hell bc Jesus came to save us from it. And he also questions how he could send someone who’s never even been introduced to the gospel to hell. Just looking for help and other perspectives bc I really want to be able to give him the best explanation that I can.

1. Bella says:

I guess one way to look at it is if there was no consequence, no hell, no death, then the reality of the Gospel and what God did to send his Son wouldn’t be as sweet. It’s like if someone gave you an umbrella but it wasn’t raining outside. The umbrella is a nice thought, but it isn’t necessary if it isn’t raining. We need the rain to appreciate the umbrella, just like we need hell and death to appreciate the love and sacrifice of Jesus.

2. Emily says:

Romans 2 talks about God judging people fairly based on what they know. If someone has never heard the gospel, God won’t judge them by the gospel. He loves every single person so unfathomably much, I don’t believe he wouldn’t save every person that he possibly can. Some people, though, don’t want God. They actually say no to God. And those people, I think, are the only ones who would go to hell.

What scares me the most about living in such a privileged country [US] is that pretty much everyone has heard the gospel in one way or another. We will all be judged according to what we know… where’s the line between “know” and “have heard of”? I guess I have to trust that God will judge fairly.

1. Ashlyn says:

Emily, I love this. I agree that He wants to save every person that he possibly can. We are His children! Surely He wants as many of us in His Kingdom as He can have!

2. Tessa says:

This is something I’ve always struggled with. So do you all really believe that God only sends people to Hell that outright deny Christ? That’s what I want to believe, but I often have extreme anxiety about it. Thoughts creep in, “I am not godly enough.” “I live in sin way too much.” “You won’t go to heaven.” And I have to try to believe that I love Jesus and he loves me therefore I am saved. Do you agree?

1. Anna says:

Yes Tessa, I agree. Jesus did the work for us on the cross, no amount of “godliness,” or lack of it, on our part can change that. The only thing we have to do is accept his gift because that’s the only job he gives to us, and everything else will follow because it is a transformative gift that makes us new. Although we have ups and downs and still need to deal with worldly struggles while we are here, our comfort in eternity comes from Jesus’ gift on the cross, and that is certain and forever.

3. Neah says:

Amen!!!!!❤️️❤️️

4. Cherrie says:

5. Heather says:

by far my favorite day out of this study so far. thank you Jesus for your never ending love and for paying the price for my sins. this love story compares to no other.

6. Sarah says:

The depth of God’s grace is so amazing. We will never even begin to understand the kind of love he has for us <3

7. Rachel says:

Wow! I have truly never thought of the gospel in this way. Thank you for this beautiful truth!