Faithfulness

from the Fruit of the Spirit reading plan

Hebrews 11:1-40, Proverbs 3:1-4

BY Diana Stone

Have you ever looked around at the wonderful, beautiful things your Christian friends are doing in their lives and thought, When I build up a little more faith, that will be me. Or, One day when I have faith like that, I’ll let God know I’m ready for Him to use me.

I want to be used for an eternal purpose. Really, I do. I long for my life to be completely His, yet I hold back, assuming everyone doing those big things must have big faith—faith much greater than mine. So, naturally, when I saw I’d be writing on faithfulness, my first thought was, Ah yes, faith… that’s something I need to work on. It was only when I started digging into my study of faithfulness that I realized the irony of my statement. Faithfulness is a fruit of the Spirit, not a fruit of my efforts.

Faith is something present in us from the moment we give our life to Christ, accepting that His death has covered our sins and we are fully forgiven, our life now hidden in a bigger purpose than our worldly satisfaction. According to Ephesians 2:8, this faith is a gift to us from God Himself! Hebrews Chapter 11 (a.k.a. the “Hall of Faith”) lists person after person who took the faith they were given and walked in faithfulness to God’s promise, a promise they believed but could not yet see.

Faith is the conviction that Jesus Christ is our only salvation.
Faithfulness is remaining in that truth, holding fast to the faith.
The issue is not the quantity, or “bigness”, of my faith so much as Who I’ve put my faith in.

The disciples in Luke 17:5 say to Jesus, “Increase our faith!” His response is probably not what they expected: “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed… you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you” (Luke 17:6). Even Jesus’ own disciples—the men who walked with Him, saw His miracles with their own eyes, listened to His words firsthand—are told it is not the size of their faith that matters. Instead, Jesus compels them to turn their small faith into lives of much faithfulness—remaining in and acting on the faith they’ve been given.

The fullness of God’s purpose for each of us comes when our faith propels us to offer up our lives for the glory of the Kingdom. Not later, when we feel more qualified or can see just where He’s leading us—but right now, just as we are.

We serve a God whose speciality is redemption. He says to us, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV). Our Lord doesn’t require perfection or faith the size of a mountain. He asks for a humble heart willing to stand fast wherever He leads.

Today, as we go about our lives and ponder our circumstances—whatever they may be—let’s remember Jesus Christ, the source and object of our faith. The One who gives us faith is the One who makes us faithful when we remain in Him. Rather than listening to the lies of the Enemy who wants us to believe our broken pieces and small faith make us ineligible to be used by God, let us cling to our mustard seed of faith and believe in the unseen promises of God. Oh, Lord, by the power of your Holy Spirit, make us faithful. Amen.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Who should I send? Who will go for Us?”
I said, “Here I am. Send me.”
–  Isaiah 6:8

SRT-FOTS_instagram9

110 thoughts on "Faithfulness"

1. Sharon says:

“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me” John 15:4. I cannot produce the fruit of faithfulness unless I’m abiding in the vine, my Father. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing comes by the word of God”, Rom 10:17. The more time I spend with my Father and in His word then my faith (faithfulness) will increase because I have faith in Him, not in my circumstance or surroundings.

2. CristyLynn says:

As I read Hebrews 11, I find it interesting that perhaps some of the people are a surprise, or some of the reasons for their names being listed are a surprise. For example Sarah. When reading Genesis 18 we learn that Sarah laughed when she heard the prophecy of Isaac’s birth for the next year (Gen. 18: 11-15), yet in Hebrews 11, the commentary on Sarah is that she had faith concerning the birth of her son. I think this can be an encouragement to us that this faith is a gift from God. It doesn’t spring naturally out of our hearts, so we can ask of God and He will give it, because He loves for us to pray for His will; and surely His will is for us to have this gift of the Spirit!

3. Laurie says:

Trusting in His plan for my life and my kids life. Use us for your glory !

4. Lwest says:

Trusting in Gods plan for me, walking in his strength & in his guidance over my life. I can’t see where I am going but he can. I trust him & I want to go where he leads me. I know he will help me each step of the way.praise God ❤️

5. Lisa says:

Oh I need You, oh Lord. My prayer is for the Holy Spirit to transform my heart and forever dwell within me for Your glory.

6. Chay says:

I always imagine that we can see a few pixels of a very large image, while God can see the entire image. In seeing just these few pixels we misunderstand, we doubt, we question and we feel like our faith is eroding. And what’s worse is that we’re told we will never see the big picture until the Father takes us home. And how impatient we are! Once again I am humbled , forever I am humbled, by a God who so lovingly guides me through my life whispering in my ear “Trust in me, I love you.” And when I doubt, and when I can’t hear Him…He wrote it down for me. I just have to open my bible.

1. Deb says:

A true blessing to me today. Thank you!

2. Laura says:

Beautifully said!!

7. Alyssa says:

What about the part at the end of Hebrews 11- they didn’t received what they were promised? That is a hard one for me to swallow!

1. Kathy Sue says:

It’s not that they didn’t receive what God had promised them. It’s that they trusted God and stepped out to do what He had asked of them. They are living in that promise now. God’s timing is perfect!

8. Melinda says:

Ohh thank you Diana. I am always wondering if I am worthy of His will. I have read some very good, affirming blogs on SRT but this one may have spoken the most to my heart. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will take better care of my little mustard seed.