Peace

from the Fruit of the Spirit reading plan

Psalm 34:13-14, John 14:27, Philippians 4:5-7, James 3:16-18

BY Rebecca Faires

I have one really firm rule in my house: only one person can cry at a time.

We have a few caveats.

Number One: If someone is already crying, you can’t add in your four choruses of the sob serenade until the first cryer is finished.

Number Two: The youngest cryer gets precedence, so if you are crying and someone younger than you begins to cry, you just have to dry up until the baby stops crying, at which time you may resume.

Number Three: It’s all hands on deck to help the youngest stop crying.

Believe it or not, this actually kind of works. Until it doesn’t. I instituted this rule years ago because I was DYING for peace in my home. We had four kids under four, which means so much poop and crying.

Unfortunately the key to peace isn’t just keeping the volume and stink at bay, though I wish it were that simple. It’s easier for me to work on the behavior of my children or the condition of my home than to look at the state of my own heart.

Do you ever find yourself sitting cross-legged on the floor of your life, looking around at all the screaming pieces and groaning, “I just want peace”? I do this all the time.

It’s hard for me to admit my version of peace isn’t actually real peace. My version of peace is everything under control, my control—books alphabetized and noses wiped. True peace is a soul rightly aligned with the way of Christ.

But, goodness, alignment of my soul to Christ sounds pretty heady for a girl who is typing one-handed while nursing a baby who is triumphantly filling his diaper. I don’t know a lot about peace or alignment. Thankfully, we have God’s Word to consult on the subject! James says, “a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace” (James 3:18 ESV). That sounds SO GOOD! I want to sow seeds of peace and reap giant peace gourds and watermelons! I want to arrive at harvest time to a whole heap of peace.

I think James is saying that our daily, quiet acts of peace—listening to someone who is super needy, emptying the dishwasher when it’s not our turn, letting someone else win—gently nudge our souls into alignment with the peace of Christ.

And then, when our little boats are sailing in the wake of His ship, we see how wayward and wobbly our course is, how imperfectly and poorly we make peace. But we also see how great is the wake of Christ. It hems in our feeble steering. The closer we draw to Him, the more we see that peace is not something we make. Rather, Christ’s peace He gives to us, not as the world gives it.

Today—when you wrangle your loud baby-blessing, when you can’t see over the pile of bills, or when your friends don’t make any sense—let your strivings fall away and breathe in the peace of Christ, because He promises, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.”

SRT-FOTS_instagram4

182 thoughts on "Peace"

1. Molly Williams says:

I started this study because I’ve not been walking in any fruit of the spirit – I’ve been bitter and easily angry, not graceful at all! But I’ve received a lot of revelation in these common verses. Today, I have this overwhelming definition of peace not as calm or rest outside of myself, but being AT PEACE with God through the justification of salvation.

2. Cindy C. says:

“…seek peace and pursue it.” (Psalm 34:14)
    “My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.” (John 14:27)

Having peace and being at peace are not passive acts…active pursuit of the peace God offers means turning to Him and studying the Word and realizing that His peace is beyond anything I can experience through earthly offerings.

3. Danielle Talerico says:

I really needed this today! I have been battling unknown health issues for awhile and I’ve been praying for healing. Today I let my frustrations run wild; frustrated with God for not healing me. I’m a young Christian (not in age lol ) and so I felt wrong becoming frustrated with God but I couldn’t/can’t understand why God hasn’t Healed me yet. These scriptures are just what I needed today.

4. Emily says:

This devotional definitely hit my heart this morning! I’ve been struggling with being at peace with recent happenings in my life. I️ feel like I’ve failed and I️ keep getting bad news, but this says “let your strivings fall away and breathe in the peace of Christ!” HOW GOOD IS HE?!

5. Susann says:

I read this at an opportune time. A few different things yesterday stirred up worry in my heart– particularly about the safety of my children.

Waking up to His promises of peace was just what I needed.

6. Sabrina Hallmark says:

I love that we have true peace available to us!
    17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
    18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

I want to be the kind of woman who is full of mercy and impartial and sincere! So cool that we have the ability to become righteous by sowing peace, let’s actively pursue that!!!

7. Elle says:

True peace is a soul rightly aligned with Christ. I couldn’t resonate with this statement more than in this moment. I struggle from depression and anxiety and it wasn’t until I intentionally invited the Lord into my life on a daily basis that things started to become peaceful. I’m in awe lately of how good of a God we serve who can calm the stormy waters if all we do is ask.

1. Kaitlyn Reed says: