Commissioned Moments

from the Commissioned Moments reading plan

Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-20

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-20

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
– Matthew 28:20, HCSB

It was an ordinary day and, as usual, I wandered into my local Starbucks to get my mocha. Behind me was a young man, and I decided to treat him to the drink of his choice. At first he refused, but with some encouragement he said yes. It was what followed that took my breath away: I got the impression I was to tell him that God saw him and loved him.

In total honestly, I doubted myself and almost moved on to what was next on my schedule. But in a quick moment of obedience to the Holy Spirit, I turned to him and told him – God sees you, you are known, and you are loved. His reaction was tearful and awe-struck as he told me he was desperately wondering if God had forgotten him. As we took a seat at a table, he told me he had been kicked out of his house, was living on pennies, and had lost hope in God. We spoke for a few moments and prayed together.

I ran into this young man again a few weeks later. His circumstances had not changed, but he lit up when he saw me. We sat down over a cup of coffee and prayed together again. I was amazed anew at how God can take my simple, even doubtful, act of obedience and turn it into so much more.

Why is it that we live in the tension of worship and doubt that disables us to share the truth of God’s love? (See Matthew 28:17.)

You and I are commissioned – authorized by God – to “therefore go and make disciples” who will know Him and live for Him. This is a commandment from Jesus. We can only do this if we are available and ready for the commissioned moments.

This readiness is not in the form of a to-do list we can check off. Our readiness is a posture of the heart. It starts with having a pliable heart—a heart that is willing to worship, learning to grow, listening to hear the voice of God. Oswald Chambers says it like this: “Yet you cannot make disciples unless you are My disciple.” We must follow Jesus to share Jesus.

There will be times the tension prevails and we will question our ability to share God’s love. Our self-centered, hurried lives will cause us to miss some of those commissioned moments. Our doubt and fear of rejection will have us walk away and ignore the moments when they come.

But what if we slow down, watch, and listen? What if we choose to trust Jesus in these moments and believe Him when He issued this commandment to His disciples? We have a minute-by-minute choice to lean into the Holy Spirit’s prompting as we go about our day—in our workplace and our families, on the mission field or at the store, and, yes, even at Starbucks.

The Great Commission can be lived out exactly where you are.

Jesus promises, “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)

What a promise and encouragement that Jesus is with us always! May it be in His power and not our own that we “go into all the world” and embrace our commissioned moments.

Messages Image(1978363804)

SRT-Timothy_640

135 thoughts on "Commissioned Moments"

1. Sam says:

Nice blog. Found this while searching through google

2. Pingback: 5 Friday Favorites
  3. Devoted_Mother says:

I am so very blessed to have found this website & the app that goes along with it! I have completed "The Sermon on the Mount" plan (which was amazing) & am now working my way through this one… I feel my knowledge of the Bible & my relationship with Christ every time I read a devotional and dig deeper into the Word! <3 #SRT ladies you're doing an outstanding job, please keep up the good work!! :)

4. Myra says:

This website & the app are absolutely amazing & so very inspiring!! I feel beyond blessed to found #SRT!! I have completed "The Sermon on the Mount" plan & now working my way through this one… with every reading I feel my knowledge in the Bible growing stronger as well as my faith, it's just amazing!! I love it & have recommended it to many friends, keep up the great work ladies! You are so inspiring! <3

5. Nice your post Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff…I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.

6. Maria Easterday says:

I want to ask for prayer that I would have that spirit of courage and boldness when the Holy Spirit is directing me to go and speak to someone.

This message completely stood out to me because this is an area that I seem to let God down in.

7. Kate says:

Sorry to be a troll but if I was a penniless person, Starbucks is the last place I would go to. It’s a great message though that we should get out of our comfort element to spread God’s love and word regardless of the place.

1. SusieT says:

You're right, Kate, but how beautiful that God knows our heart and our need, wherever we are! Regardless of where that young man was…regardless of his financial situation, our Lord knew that an act of kindness toward him would direct his attention that specific moment and more fully open his heart to the news that God sees, knows and loves him. Praise God for His infinite wisdom and mercy!! :) That is the loving kindness with which he showers all of us!

1. Christina McDaniel says:

You are so right Susie!

2. Lauren says:

Have you never done something silly? Spent money you shouldn’t have? Just wanted something and decided to think about it later? Lived for right then and hang the consequences?

I have. I’ve gotten Starbucks when I really couldn’t afford it, but dammit, everything else in my life had gone wrong and I just wanted one nice thing, to sit somewhere calm and quiet for ten minutes and enjoy a drink.

It’s not your business. Your business is to love the people Jesus loves.

1. Cana says:

What a beautiful response. I, too, have “escaped” to Starbucks when nothing was going right and felt hopeless. In a rough season, sometimes it felt like the only normal part of my day. Sometimes it was to be in the presence of others, in hopes that I would feel less alone. Glad he did it. It could very well be what saves his life.

2. Sooz says:

I have done something silly more than a few times. Made choices for the here and now that did not serve the heavenly after. But thank God there is Jesus to cover the silly choices, the selfish choices and the never again choices! There continues to be a struggle in my heart between listening for those moments that only serve me or listening for those moments God puts in front of me to go into the world for Him. My best choices are when I put aside my own desires and follow His guidance into the lives of others. Truly amazing things happen!

8. Antimony says:

“He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen”. The Bible was written by those who saw Him after He had risen. And yet we do not believe. We choose not to. We feel like we can’t believe. And He will reproach me too. For my hardness of heart. And my unbelief. If I do not believe.