Humiliation and Exaltation

from the Humiliation and Exaltation reading plan

Esther 6:1-14, Psalm 145:14-20

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Esther 6, Psalm 145:14-20

And Haman said to the king, “For the man whom the king delights to honor, let royal robes be brought, which the king has worn, and the horse that the king has ridden, and on whose head a royal crown is set.”
-Esther 6:7,8

The Kingdom of God is upside down in the wildest ways. It’s absolutely counter-cultural and tips the scales of reason even today, more than 2000 years after Jesus walked the Earth. In God’s kingdom, the oppressed are liberated, the mighty are brought low, and the orphan is set in a family. Leaders lead best when they are humble, and Scripture tells us God opposes the proud (James 4:6).

Oftentimes, I want a bright and shiny appointment from the King. I want to be out in front, up on stage, under the lights. Sure, I want to please the Lord, but if I’m honest I also want the earthly trappings that come from leading. But, as John the Baptist understood, Christ must always increase and I must always decrease if I am to be in line with His standards of humility (John 3:30).

Haman looked to the king and wanted desperately, in all of his pride, to be cloaked like a king himself. He wanted to be like the king. So when Mordecai received the honors Haman felt like he himself deserved, it was as if someone else had been chosen as the lead in the school play! Haman is humiliated. He’s angry. He sees no point in serving the king if it doesn’t also bring glory to himself.

How often are we tempted to believe the same thing—that we are not seen by God unless we are wearing the robes of Doing Big Things or Being Important? Sometimes we want to be recognized as valuable to God in the eyes of others more than we want to be seen by God Himself.

We must be made less and God must be made more. Yet in His immense goodness, God promises that we will share in a Heavenly eternity with Him. He has forgiven us of much, and loves us much more. In God’s perfect, upside-down way, it isn’t standing tall and getting it right that makes things better or makes us important. We are forgiven when we see our sin, bow low in acknowledgement, and turn away from our old ways. It is with God that we are humbled but not humiliated, brought low but not crushed.

Let’s seek to be like our King, not to be seen by others but simply to have a heart like His.

SRT-Esther_instagram9 SRT-Sale-Lent_640-2

118 thoughts on "Humiliation and Exaltation"

1. Rach says:

It’s so easy to get wrapped up in what others think we are doing for Jesus. We have to keep out focus on Christ and make sure we are just receiving our affirmation from him.

2. Nicole Vaughn says:

Understanding that our goodness is not for ourselves but for the kingdom of God is truly a powerful belief! I feel that empowers me more than if I were to get glory myself!

3. Shimmy says:

this entire devotional made me smile ! Everything is truly perfect in Gods timing

4. Mary says:

I was just having a conversation with a good friend that totally applies to this. I am 29. I am a teacher. I have wanted all of my life to be a teacher- but even more than that, I have always wanted to be a wife and mother. It truly is a heartache for me that I’m and neither of those things, as of yet. It is tricky to know that marriage and motherhood may not be God’s will for me. I understand that with my mind, but my heart doesn’t quite get it. What an amazing reminder that God’s will is perfect.

1. Michelle P. says:

Said a prayer for you, Mary! Prayed that His will and the desires of your heart would align. :)

5. Aubry says:

Today’s devotional really hit home for me. Thank you so much for these beautiful reminders!

6. Rebecca Radicchi says:

So, so good. Powerful reminders here, particularly about serving. Thank you.

7. Tara says:

Eek! This is me sometimes…and probably more than I'd like to admit. I don't like being in the spotlight or someone giving me credit, which is probably a personality trait that God has given me to protect me from myself and my sinful nature. But there are so many times in my day to day life that I do want to be recognized, whether at home, work, etc. This is a sobering and needed devotion. Thank you for allowing us to see ourselves in Haman, who we were probably disgusted with while reading and then see more of ourselves in Haman than in Esther!