Ask Boldly of the King

from the Ask Boldly of the King reading plan

Esther 5, Hebrews 4:14-16, Ephesians 3:11-12

BY Diana Stone

Text: Esther 5, Hebrews 4:14-16, Ephesians 3:11-12

“If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my wish and fulfill my request, let the king and Haman come to the feast that I will prepare for them, and tomorrow I will do as the king has said.”
– Esther 5:8

It is amazing to me how many symbols are woven throughout the book of Esther that point to Jesus Christ. Though God is never mentioned, time and again we see His plan and purpose in the midst of what could simply be regarded as a good read.

Esther waits until the third day, after fasting, to go to the king (Luke 24:46, 1 Corinthians 15:4). She adorns herself in royal robes (Isaiah 61:10). Though her husband has not called for her in 30 days, a sign of coolness towards her, she goes boldly before the king with a request which could cost her life (Hebrews 4:16).

Each of these moments, as Esther waits to hear her fate from a man who has been displeased with far less from a wife (Vashti before her), points to Christ and our relationship with the True King through Him. We can go before our Lord, asking boldly and without hesitation, because Christ stands in righteousness that covers our sin (1 Corinthians 1:30)!

Even with her life spared, the golden scepter given, half the kingdom offered, and Haman and the king at the feast—Esther does something I find extraordinary. The king again asks her what she wants. And Esther asks him to come back tomorrow.

Why is this? She has her king there, willing to give her anything, while the man who would wipe out her entire race is sitting beside her. They are happy and content. This is the time.

If we see one repeated detail about Esther, it is her ability to be patiently obedient. She never rushes. She fasts, waits, thinks, asks. We aren’t told why she waits another day to ask the king to spare her people, but in these moments where the entire fate of the Jews hung in the balance, God was there. He’d ordained this plan so far, and as bold as Esther had been, she understands this was not the right time. Risking wrath, her royal position, and her life a second time, she asks for a delay. In the next day, everything comes together. The king realizes fully what Haman has done, and Haman’s downfall is complete.

Esther was not only brave enough to wait, she was bold enough to ask a second time. She went before a king who’d earned a reputation for his bad temper and rash judgments, and she asked the impossible. How much more confidence should we have in approaching a King who loves us and has given everything for us to be welcome before His throne?

“Esther came to a proud imperious man; we come to the God of love and grace.”
– Matthew Henry

Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us at the proper time.
– Hebrews 4:16, HCSB

SRT-Esther_instagram8 SRT-Sale-Lent_640-2

96 thoughts on "Ask Boldly of the King"

1. Jena says:

I love that it is so evident that God is with Esther. That even though not mentioned, every detail of the things she does or doesn't do show His demeanor. Patiently and obediently she is, but not with Him. And how that must have been the very demeanor that Esther held with her, bold but humble and kind but not soft. She was strong but beautiful and its amazing that you see all of this through the scriptures. It really shows us what it truly is to be patient, obedient, beautiful, humble, bold and kind. Love this!

1. Jena says:

"not WITHOUT Him"

2. Tiana Urias says:

I look forward to waking up everyday and reading my devotions

3. Anna says:

This morning, verse 1 stuck out to me as I picture in almost a movie-like way Esther standing boldly, the king looking up and seeing her standing there. I picture her with grace and humility mixed with enough confidence to make the king curious about why she is there.

I had never even considered her patience! I'm often quick to blurt things out just to rush through the awkward or dangerous moment. It's amazing to me that Esther had the peace not to do that. It reminds me of one of yesterday's verses, Jeremiah 10:14, when the Lord says he will "gather you". If you have peace and trust that the Lord will "gather" you when he needs you, you're able to stand with peace and confidence.

4. Chocolate Ganache says:

How in a rush I am to be released from the circumstances of my training in righteousness! Every time I turn a new corner of understanding, I try to rush God – okay, right, I see, now I get it, please make the hard part be over now! He's teaching me big lessons. He knows how long it is going to take. Rather than telling Him His job, I want to relax into patient obedience.

1. Leona says:

Reading your reply was so encouraging. “Patient obedience”. What wise words. Thank you :)

5. Libby says:

I can’t help but wonder about Mordecai as he’s watching the gallows going up! We know the rest of the story but I wonder if he thought “what?? Another banquet??”

6. Joy Billops says:

Brave enough to wait! Bold enough to ask again! Love this and such a great reminder.

7. Patience is my nemesis. I struggle with it constantly. Such a good reminder

8. Jayme says:

wow um I don’t know where to start. I’ve been so sick and have stopped asking God for healing because I didn’t feel like He cared (believe it or not). God has been teaching me major patience my whole life and this seems to be the epitome of it all. I can be so patient and willing to see that I am not useless while I am waiting to be healed now that I’ve read this. I don’t know how, but God opened my heart for me before I began reading this, thank you Alyssa Falkinstien. This seems so easy to see but I have been blinded by pain and fear in certain areas of my life for awhile now. I need to read the Book of Ester tonight. She’s is such an inspiration.