Ask Boldly of the King

from the Ask Boldly of the King reading plan

Esther 5, Hebrews 4:14-16, Ephesians 3:11-12

BY Diana Stone

Text: Esther 5, Hebrews 4:14-16, Ephesians 3:11-12

“If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my wish and fulfill my request, let the king and Haman come to the feast that I will prepare for them, and tomorrow I will do as the king has said.”
– Esther 5:8

It is amazing to me how many symbols are woven throughout the book of Esther that point to Jesus Christ. Though God is never mentioned, time and again we see His plan and purpose in the midst of what could simply be regarded as a good read.

Esther waits until the third day, after fasting, to go to the king (Luke 24:46, 1 Corinthians 15:4). She adorns herself in royal robes (Isaiah 61:10). Though her husband has not called for her in 30 days, a sign of coolness towards her, she goes boldly before the king with a request which could cost her life (Hebrews 4:16).

Each of these moments, as Esther waits to hear her fate from a man who has been displeased with far less from a wife (Vashti before her), points to Christ and our relationship with the True King through Him. We can go before our Lord, asking boldly and without hesitation, because Christ stands in righteousness that covers our sin (1 Corinthians 1:30)!

Even with her life spared, the golden scepter given, half the kingdom offered, and Haman and the king at the feast—Esther does something I find extraordinary. The king again asks her what she wants. And Esther asks him to come back tomorrow.

Why is this? She has her king there, willing to give her anything, while the man who would wipe out her entire race is sitting beside her. They are happy and content. This is the time.

If we see one repeated detail about Esther, it is her ability to be patiently obedient. She never rushes. She fasts, waits, thinks, asks. We aren’t told why she waits another day to ask the king to spare her people, but in these moments where the entire fate of the Jews hung in the balance, God was there. He’d ordained this plan so far, and as bold as Esther had been, she understands this was not the right time. Risking wrath, her royal position, and her life a second time, she asks for a delay. In the next day, everything comes together. The king realizes fully what Haman has done, and Haman’s downfall is complete.

Esther was not only brave enough to wait, she was bold enough to ask a second time. She went before a king who’d earned a reputation for his bad temper and rash judgments, and she asked the impossible. How much more confidence should we have in approaching a King who loves us and has given everything for us to be welcome before His throne?

“Esther came to a proud imperious man; we come to the God of love and grace.”
– Matthew Henry

Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us at the proper time.
– Hebrews 4:16, HCSB

SRT-Esther_instagram8 SRT-Sale-Lent_640-2

96 thoughts on "Ask Boldly of the King"

1. Bekka Barron says:

I love how humble and patient Esther is. Like, she is stoked the Lord is with her and gave her favor so she DID NOT DIE on that day. And Haman is like, look at my things – they make me so happy.

2. Julie Christiansen says:

I think I take the throne room for granted and don’t realize how special it is when I speak to the King – yet He makes it available for us for the purpose of hearing us and our deepest emotions – praise our God!

1. sephanei says:

Yes! love how we enter into that throne room in prayer each time we do. Not something I fully comprehend either. Our prayers our like bowls of incense before Him!! Also, I know the text doesn’t say exactly why Esther delayed…..but in a very human way and in a way that I have done many times, in “stage fright” I have gone before someone before, to ask one thing and then in the moment of truth, asked for something else. How much nicer is it to ask a request over a meal and feast while you are communing with another than at a throne. Reminded of how Jesus left his Father to come to this Earth and commune with us! He welcomes all to eat His bread and drink his cup! for His yoke is easy and burden light.

1. Sara says:

wow is right

3. Hannah says:

I love that quote! It really puts things into perspective!!! Praise the LORD:)

4. Abz says:

Lord you delight in mercy. you are kind you are NOT a tyrant KING. Micah 7:18

5. SuzyQ says:

Patience looks like me holding my sharp tongue….barely. Or letting a car cut in when they should’ve MERGED WAY BCK THERE, LIKE THE REST OF US! Lol!! This lesson shows patience that looks like confidence, peace, and boldness to not step back in fear of man….ask AGAIN! I Iove how her service to the king and Haman thru cooking for them is such an important environment for Gods perfect flawless plan. We don’t hear once that she thought of over-cooking Haman’s steak out of spite! But Christ covers us with the same presence and completeness…like we know Gods whole plan in our circumstance-kinda like we can read beginning to end of Esther. Patience looks like Jesus, not like a huffy mother in the car pool lane at the elementary school. My mentor cautions against praying for patience….for reasons that are quite humorous, but also….it’s fruit….Produced by the Holy Spirit, not by my will power but my surrender to Him.

6. Jacqueline says:

Her patience is remarkable. She didn’t rush to act or react. I love how she showed grace in her actions.