His Kingdom Come

from the His Kingdom Come reading plan

John 18:1-40

BY Diana Stone

Text: John 18:1-40

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world.”
– John 18:36a, ESV

If I were a princess, I’d want everyone to know it. Right? Even just a title of some kind—I think I’d flash it around a bit. Doctor, Professor, Duchess… Not just Diana, but also [insert something impressive here]. Don’t most of us long for some distinction to add to our credentials?

Jesus did exactly the opposite— and He had every reason to boast! His qualifications trumped everyone and everything.

If we take the whole of Chapter 18 in context, we start to see the theme of Christ’s supremacy to everything in this world. Jesus sheds light on words, events and people which all unwittingly illustrate how separate heaven and earth truly are for Him. But this was the plan of salvation that God ordained: the Ruler and Creator of all must be deemed guilty by those He created—guilty of sins that were theirs, not His.

Pilate asks Jesus, “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus makes a clear distinction here; He emphasizes that His kingdom is not of this world because, if it were, He would have soldiers fighting for His release. Not only that, we know He could command anything at this time and it would be done for Him. Yet, He doesn’t.

We fight for things that are ours that have been taken away. We rescue captives, search for missing children, take action against those who steal—and this response is right and good. But Jesus circumvents any attempt for His Father’s plans to be changed—chiding Peter (John 18:11), releasing Judas (John 13:27), and handing Himself over to men who clearly had no case against Him (John 18: 4-12).

Jesus is fulfilling His own commandment, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth… but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven…” (Matthew 6:19-20). He loves the world He created, He loves His disciples, He even loves the men that are ready to crucify Him. Yet Jesus knows that this is temporary, and His and our real treasures wait for us in eternity. He will come one day with armies (Rev. 19:14), but but in these moments He was willing to forego all early connections in order that His Father’s will might be fulfilled. Christ did this for us; He became sin so that we could appear sinless before the Father.

As we read and study this chapter together—and prepare our hearts for what we know is to come in these next few days—let’s ask ourselves if we are we are willing to follow Jesus’ example. Would we gladly give up the armies of the world in order to stand reconciled and redeemed in front of our Father’s eternal throne? Are we willing to give up our earthly kingdoms for the forever glory of our Lord?

“ …so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.” (Hebrews 9:28)

SRT-John_instagram21

101 thoughts on "His Kingdom Come"

1. b11n11 says:

Anyone else guilty of this? So alluring is a campfire and conversation that one can’t help but be drawn to the warmth. Peter was growing cold on more than just the outside. Can you say bad company? John 18:18-19 says, “It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself. 19 Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.”

2. ashleyrose says:

What stood out to me in this passage was how willing Peter was to defend Christ in an act of valor. Jesus was right there, as well as the other disciples. But when Peter did not have his buddies to back him up and when Jesus was not there to see Peter's act of loyalty, he faltered. It is much easier (and more rewarding) to stand up for something or someone when the moment seems right or favorable for us. When the right people are present and watching. But when it seems like it doesn't matter as much, where does our loyalty go? Very convicting and humbling. While it is so easy to read this passage and shake our heads at Peter, I realize I myself have done essentially the same thing. Standing up for the Lord in one situation and completely denying Him in the next. Thanks to all you ladies and your reflections, vulnerability, and wisdom. I don't always have time to comment, but I look forward to reading along with you all every day!

3. Sarah Keller says:

I can't get over the statement "shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" Even just reading as words on a page, it is SO filled with authority and conviction and something else that I can't even put my finger on. And there He goes, ready to give up EVERYTHING for us. I just posted on what it's like to be a mom and have to give up personal hobbies for sake of caring for your family, and how Christ is my ultimate example for what it means to give things up. (Here's the post- http://sarahmkeller.blogspot.com/2015/01/paper-in… Yet this is another reminder of how truly small my "sacrifices" are in light of His. Praise God for all He's done and continues to do for us.

1. Abby says:

I love this verse too! To me it’s like the cosmic narrator that we all are apart of is coming to a head: Jesus is the true hero, the fulfillment of every desire of our hearts, the one full of love and strength, who walks straight into death’s door and disarms the enemy for. All. Of. Us.

“Put your sword away. Shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me.”

Perfect love obedience to our Father!

4. Traci_P says:

Verse 38 Pilate went out to the Jews and said to them, "I find no fault in Him at all." Jesus was blameless and Pilate admits this twice more. The Jews could not comprehend that this Man, who worked many signs and wonders was sent from the Father. Jesus was not on a power trip or trying to boost His ego…He was about his Father's business. He loved us and died for us. Those who encouraged and cried out for His crucifixion, delivered Him to Pilate, committed the greater sin.

5. Antimony says:

“They answered Him, “Jesus the Nazarene.” He said to them, “I am He.” And Judas also, who was betraying Him, was standing with them. So when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground”. The word “he” is italicized. It wasn’t in the original manuscripts. Jesus said “I AM”. This was a declaration of deity! And there was such power/authority in His proclamation. Those confronting Him fell to the ground! Terror? Awe? Worship? We don’t know. But they could not even stand before Him!!

6. Joanna S. says:

Such a simple question, are we willing to give up our Earthly kingdoms for the Heavenly one waiting for us? My answer is yes, but yet I sit here with shelves of books that I pour hours into reading, I have my laptop, my phone, my tablets that also sit next to me and again take hours of my time. When I ask myself, am I willing to give those up, can I say yes then? It feels a little harder to answer. I am praying that God will help with those things.

7. drpattiw says:

Oh come Holy Spirit! Make us ready. Renew our minds with Your pure truth. Cleanse our hearts that we may be fit vessels for you, Lord, for your Glory! Teach us to be about our Father’s business. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen

8. Emily Steele says:

"Christ did this for us; He became sin so that we could appear sinless before the Father."…this line hit me like a ton of bricks! Nothing new to me of course, but just tugged at my heart so much today! Thank you Jesus <3