Jesus Prays For You

from the Jesus Prays For You reading plan

John 17:1-26

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: John 17:1-26

“Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.”
– John 17:24, ESV

This past year has been one of tremendous change for me, one that has prompted me to take time to pray, think, and consider my life through new eyes. My journey has challenged me to explore the pain and hardship of division and the healing power of unity. The tension that divides can be found almost everywhere we look—

I turn on the news and hear stories about division, corruption and destruction, with a hope in my heart for unity, respect and honor.

I watch families sit around a table on their cell phones while moments are being stolen from them and the very people they sit with (and I realize I am guilty of this, too).

I am lured into social media as if it’s a popularity contest, with metaphorical likes and hearts leaving me feeling left out or not good enough.

I hear people putting down local churches because of slight differences, and my heart breaks because a church is its people, not organizational systems.

I don’t think I am alone here. There is a battle raging between division and unity. This battle is prevalent in families, organizations and, sadly, the Church.

Jesus knew that spiritual unity could only be won through devotion to Him. His earthly ministry gave us many examples to follow.

Serve one another.
Encourage one another.
Love one another.
Be kind to one another.
Respect one another.
Be present with one another.

Before He took on death, Jesus got on His knees and earnestly prayed for Himself, His disciples and for you because He knew the intense battle between the enemy’s power of deception and division and God’s authority to unite.

“The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they’ll be as unified and together as we are—
I in them and you in me.”
John 17:22-23 (Message)

Our spiritual devotion comes from the awakening of knowing and experiencing God through His love letter to us. His Word, the Bible, renews our mind and connects us in oneness with Him. This transforms our thoughts, choices and actions; and, in return, we become a powerful witness of God’s power, authority and love. Jesus prayed that we would bear witness to His divine mission of giving a godless world evidence that Christ’s love is alive today and for future generations.

Jesus’ great love and sacrifice has won the battle of unity on our behalf and granted us the riches of His victory. May we stand firm, be courageous, and live steadfast in our oneness with Him, displaying His reconciling love in all that we do and say. We are stronger standing together with Jesus.

Does your devotion to Christ reflect a oneness with Him that translates into unity with others?
Do you believe that we are better together?

SRT-John_instagram20

94 thoughts on "Jesus Prays For You"

1. Jordyn says:

Lord unity me in all areas of my life. You are worthy Lord God

2. Beverly says:

Jesus prayed “because He knew the intense battle between the enemy’s power of deception and division and God’s authority to unite.” Reading this I couldn’t help but think how I often battle the deception and division in my own mind. But our God is not a God of confusion, he is a God of peace. He gives us peace that passes all understanding. Grateful.

3. Julie says:

Whoa!!!’ Rhyming skills! That is a beautiful reminder of how unity in one circle effects the unity of many circles! He works like that and don’t ya just love it!? I don’t want to be afraid of becoming ‘too close’ to someone because I feel above them because my way is better…I want to always know his love and power and unity in it all because he is the way!

4. Steph says:

Yes may be different by design but differences should draw us close! “It was the rhythm of the dancers that gave the poets life, it was the spirit of the poets that gave the soldiers strength to fight. It was the fire of the young ones it was the wisdom of the old. It was the story of the poor man that needed to be told! Father let us acknowledge and delight in one another’s presence the same way you delight in us. Allow us to build one another up and sharpen one another by your grace!

5. debbates says:

Father, I lift up each and every women that has responded on this post…. and alll those who have read it. Please give them each a spirit of unity…. Unify thier families… Unify thier churches…. Unify thier groups… Unify them at work. Father I pray a new spirit of Unity over Your whole church today. Break the demonic forces that are trying to bring discention and division.

Lord, I thank you for this community. I pray your healing hand on all those who are suffering with disease, whether physical or not, Touch thier lives….give them courage to face what is ahead of them. Use this season in thier lives to draw them and others to You and bring glory to Your Name.

Blessings to each one of you sisters.

Debbie
    PS. Its kind of great being 2 weeks behind on this study, so that I can be praying for you two weeks later. :o)

1. Jordyn says:

This is beautiful! God bless you

6. Jenn Wilson says:

Just sent an email to someone and my spirit has been troubled. Then I read this and realize that In that text was not encouraging unity in the situation. Awesome how God clearly showed that to me through this.

7. Badoo says:

Thank you Jesus for your blessings.