You Are Mine

from the You Are Mine reading plan

John 10

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: John 10:1-42

“I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me”
– John 10:14, ESV

I went through a very dry and dark season when I wondered if God was out to get me. Everything in my life looked too good to be true, and I wondered if a great tragedy was about to befall me in order to balance the cosmic weights of justice. Fear was the language I understood and spoke most fluently. But, my fears were terrible theology cloaked in spiritual, righteous-appearing clothes. I constantly felt like the other shoe was going to drop, that God would cause something awful in my life to teach me a lesson or to challenge my devotion.

Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever heard that whisper of fear that God’s love is capricious?

Now, I know this isn’t the way God works. He loves us and purposes good for us. Anything that happens to hurt us, that He allows, grieves Him because He is our Father. He is our Shepherd and desires to nurture us, to lead us, and to keep us safe. The brokenness in the world—the sin, those things can hurt us—they can absolutely level us. But God does not abandon us or forsake us.

It is true, He is good and He never leaves. Do you believe that?

To come to that understanding, I went on a year-long search for the meaning of the goodness of God. If I was to serve a God, I had to know that He was good. I needed to understand if I believed God was good, and what it even meant that He was good. I prayed more in that season that ever before. I steeped myself in the words of the Bible and the words of Christian men and women who came before me.

I intimately acquainted myself with the voice of my Shepherd, and soon I recognized that the Voice of Fear I was hearing was not the voice of my Shepherd but the voice of the Liar. I was allowing myself to believe things that simply are not in the character of my Heavenly Father, and He cannot act against His character. He is good and He is righteous and He has promised life to the full for those who trust in Him. He has promised to never lose us or leave us (John 10:28).

I am my beloved’s and He is mine. He knows me, and I know Him.

Do you know Him enough to recognize His voice?

But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.
-Isaiah 43:1, ESV

SRT-John_instagram12

SRT-BIAY_IGad_640

138 thoughts on "You Are Mine"

1. Lisa says:

This is perfect and meeting me right where I am now. The past 2 years I have been praying john 10:10 – the enemy speaks so many lies to me and tried to get me to live in fear. I have learned to regognize his voice from Gods and pray john 10:10 when I hear it – sometimes out loud. I loved your honesty and words! I will not live my life in fear but abundantly as Jesus promised me I should have!

2. Valerie says:

Wow I needed this. I have been so fearful and worried recently….for no apparent reason. God is good…he wants good for me. Not that things will always be easy or painless…but all things will work out for HIS glory.

3. Amelia says:

This chapter reminded me that I want to spend more time hearing God’s voice. It’s so easy for me to not take time for this. One of the key characteristics of His sheep, as pointed out in verse 27, is that know his voice and then follow Him. I want to know when He is speaking and not be too busy to listen.

4. LaurenC_ says:

Whenever I feel like I can’t hear God’s voice, or can’t discern God’s true voice from all of the noise, I know it isn’t because He isn’t speaking to me. It’s because I am not listening, being still, and paying attention.

5. Jessica says:

When Jesus says that he has “other sheep” and he will bring them too, does this mean that he has people that may not be believers that he will save and have mercy on? I am a nurse, and I have seen people, non believers, suffer so horribly at the end of their life, I often pray to God and plead for their salvation. Do you think he saves some of them? Or what about babies that die, or women that miscarry, are these little lives the “other sheep”?

1. Shannon Roe says:

Jessica, He is primarily addressing Jewish people in this passage, and the other sheep refer to the Gentiles. For your other questions, as a woman who has miscarried
      Twice and searched this out, I find the most comfort in the passage where David and Bathsheba’s son dies. Scripture is clear that David will see him again in heaven. Most estimates put the child’s age around 2. Since we know that He knows us before we are even conceived ( Ps 139), I believe that we can trust Him with these answers. He is good, and He is trustworthy. I certainly don’t have all the answers, and I think Scripture leaves some mystery on the “how” sometimes. As intentional
      As He was about what was written and included in the Bible, I think He was just as intentional about what was left out. In that tension of the mystery we are able to place our faith in Him – in His wisdom and His goodness. I hope that helps!

1. Jessica says:

Thank you so much Shannon for your reply!

6. Carrie says:

God has not given us a spirit of fear. (2 Timothy 1:7)
    God is not the author of confusion, but of peace. (1 Corinthians 14:33)
    God has plans for us for good and not for evil. (Jeremiah 29:11)
    When we are tempted (to fear, which is sin – the opposite of faith) we must not say, "I am being tempted by God." God is never tempted by evil and He never tempts anyone with evil. (James 1:13)
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. (I John 4:18)
    Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." (John 14:27) and "Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:31)
    So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)

God is not our enemy! Satan is our accuser, the tempter, the author of confusion, the one who comes only to steal and kill and destroy, our enemy, the god of this world, the prince of the power of the air, etc. But God is our helper. He is not against us. He does not bring or do evil to us. He is love and He is good. Sin is in the world because it's fallen, and God "allowed" that fall to happen because He gave man free will. But Jesus took the curse of sin on the cross and we are no longer under God's wrath. I cannot accuse God of doing evil to me – ever. He is my loving Father

1. Saira says:

Carrie! wow! thanks for taking the time to share that with us. I wrote down the entire entry in my journal. May the Lord continue to enlighten you of His glorious truths!

2. Eimy says:

Amen amen and amen to that! I really needed these words today!

7. Sweetpea05 says:

That was an amazing devotion. It gave me chills as well.

8. Mary Elizabeth says:

Verse 3 gave me chills- “He calls out His sheep by name”. Ladies, God knows each and every one of us by NAME! How special is that?! God cares about each and every one of our lives & He promises to always be there for us.