Audacious Grace

from the Audacious Grace reading plan

John 9:1-41

BY Diana Stone

Text: John 9:1-41

He answered, “Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.”
– John 9:25, ESV

It’s been a hard two and a half years in our home. There are times I’ve wondered, “What did I do to deserve this? Why me? Did I not pray hard enough, do the right things?”

As I read this familiar passage in John, I am struck by the same attitude in Jesus’ disciples as they encounter a man who is blind. They don’t ask how he is, if he is suffering—they don’t even ask Jesus to heal him. Instead, their only question is if he or his parents had sinned to make him blind.

Jesus gives a perfect answer: “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him” (John 9:3, emphasis mine).

In a world where we are constantly trying to get it right—to please others, to appease our inner voice, to obey God—we can feel like giant failures when things go wrong. “If only I had…” Jesus’ radical statement shifts our gaze off of our “shoulds” and onto His grace.

Imagine how often this man, born blind and spending his life as an outcast, must have had those same thoughts. If everyone around him assumed he or his family were in sin, who would care? It’s easy to justify a casual attitude about pain and suffering when we equate it as something that was deserved.

Jesus crushes the assumptions of both his disciples and the Pharisees, who were always watching and following him. He doesn’t urge the man to repent first. He isn’t even interested in hearing from his family or what kind of lifestyle they have. Jesus simply bends down, spits in the dust we were created from, and uses the mud to restore the blind man’s sight. How astounding the moment must have been when the man walked out of the pool of Siloam, looking at—and seeing!—the stunned faces of those around him!

But the Pharisees, they are incensed instead of amazed. They can’t even muster a congratulations before they pounce on him with questions and accusations, which the newly-sighted man promptly deflects back onto them. It’s very simple to him. “One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see” (John 9:25).

Jesus healed him, and the man didn’t do anything to make it happen. It was grace through and through. Even the Pharisees, master manipulators though they were, could not make this into something it wasn’t. There was nothing they could do or say to undo the mercy and grace Jesus imparted to the man—grace wholly undeserved yet lavishly given.

Are we so intent on turning the Gospel into a rational equation that we miss out on the wonder of God’s audacious grace being given right before our very eyes?

Grace for the sinner.
Grace on the Sabbath.
Grace for the broken and the blind.
Grace for everyone who will receive it.

Like the man healed by the pool that day, may we be a canvas for displaying God’s powerful works of grace.

SRT-John_instagram10

128 thoughts on "Audacious Grace"

1. Mrs.Walton says:

I am a huge example of God powerful loving grace. And I can never express how thankful I am for Him and for His forgiveness. My earthly parents may have abandoned me, but He never did. He was there with His hand out ready to pick me back up and ready to forgive me when I asked for it. On my knees thanking Him. I love you Lord!

2. shamekamichelle says:

I'm learning that when I seek God for direction, I need to be prepared to following His instruction regardless of how I feel about it or if the outcome is not what I initially desired. God's honor and glory will always prevail in every situation. For the past few years, I have been questioning why I am in the situation I am in and blaming myself for disobedience and poor decision. As I seek God more, I am realizing that although the situation may not feel good it is for my good. A lesson is being learned from it and God will ultimately receive all the honor, glory, and praise when it is done. I know that I am in the mist of walking through the storm and God is with me; He would not put more on me than I can bare. I have to keep holding God's unchanging hand and walking with Him through every aspect of my life and know that it is molding me for Him to continue to do a good work in an through me.

1. Casey says:

What a great perspective, sister! It may or feel good but it is for our good

3. Laura Warden says:

Gods grace is present in all things and he uses all circumstances for HIS glory.

4. Keana says:

I love that the blind man doesn't even question Jesus. He doesn't ask why He is rubbing mud on his eyes or even why he should believe Jesus when He tells the man to wash his eyes in the river and he will see. The man just obeys Jesus, no questions asked, and has faith that he will indeed be able to see again. I want to be like the man in this story. I want to obey the Lord, no questions asked, and be able to show the mighty works of His hands in my life so that others are amazed and what to follow the Lord.

1. Julie says:

Wow Keana! That is a great desire and I want to do the same thing…obey without question. Even if the thing he asks me to do is strange so that my faith in Him is strengthened and others can follow Him too!

5. Jasmine says:

This almost brought me to tears at work… I'm one of those people who constantly worries about not pleasing God. I get so frustrated when I do something wrong. I go into this depressive state and feel so bad about myself. I try to pray and study the word. I pray to bind generational curses. I sometimes feel condemned thinking that my parents or ancestors did something and it has caused me some turmoil so I try extra hard to please God. This passage hears reminds me that it's not about what was done or what I do wrong. It's all about God's grace. It's undeserving yet awesome and humbling. I'm learning that some things we go through are just to bring God glory. To be a testimony to those who need it. God is so awesome man…

6. LaurenC_ says:

“Jesus healed him, and the man didn’t do anything to make it happen. It was grace through and through.” Thanks Diana. Your devotions are always so meaningful. Grace not just for the righteous and holy, the do-gooders, the least of these, the heartbroken, the grieving and suffering. Grace not just for the ones who ask and repent. Grace for all. All. A much-needed reminder and example for me. This is who I want to be, how I want to live. Grace for all.

1. Lisa Dittman says:

Amen!

2. Sarah says:

Grace is for all! But I think it’s important to note that the man had to do something, he had to go and wash, there had to be action and obedience on our part. That really stuck out at me when she said ‘the man didn’t have to do anything’, but he did – he had to believe enough to take action. The grace is for all, but grace without works is dead. (James 2) :)

1. Lizbeth says:

I think the scripture referred to is about faith without works is dead. In John, the blind man had faith in Jesus and obeyed what Jesus told him to go do. Jesus chose to give this man his sight otherwise the blind man would have no reason to go wash. There is nothing we can do to get grace for it is a gift. This is what is so amazing about God that He chooses to give us grace- “But from His fullness we have all recieved grace upon grace.”

3. Alexavia says:

Ppl like you get all the bransi. I just get to say thanks for he answer.

7. Megan says:

I love how Jesus turns this around. We always think that God punishes us through our circumstances but that is not true! He uses our circumstances to bring glory to God and make his name known!!!

1. Debby says:

Amen Megan!

2. Katie says:

Have to continue to remind myself of this one!! Thanks!