His Glory is Revealed

from the His Glory is Revealed reading plan

John 2:1-25

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: John 2:1-25

This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
– John 2:11

I like doing things backwards—it’s a quirk of mine. I love dinners that start with dessert. I often begin a book by reading the last chapter. I like to launch projects with the end in mind and I thrive on dreaming big with others.

It’s no wonder I was first drawn to the end of John Chapter 2, as it painfully points out the importance and significance of our need for a Savior.

“But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew all about people. No one needed to tell him  about human nature, for he knew what was in each person’s heart.”
– John 2:24-25, NLT

God knows the condition of our human hearts. He knows we live in the tension of worldly desires and how easily we can be seduced into believing we are in control. He knows our pride, our arrogance, and the way we worship our own success—and He knows it will never be enough. At our deepest heart-level, we are left discontent and lonely, with a hard heart of stone instead of a tender heart of flesh.

Only Jesus can turn a sick, hard heart into one that is alive and vibrant.

To bring life to our dead hearts, Christ first entered our darkness and began to flood it with His light. The time had come for Him to turn the world upside-down, to challenge religious norms and bring awareness to the poor, the orphans and widows, to turn the focus off our doing and onto His glory. The key word here is turn.

It was at a wedding that Jesus’ divine glory was revealed through his first miracle, turning water to wine. He did so without much fuss —only the servants and disciples witnessed the miracle and came to believe. Our God still performs these quiet miracles today, working behind the scenes to turn the impossible into possible. How has Jesus revealed His divine glory to you?

Next Jesus goes to the temple, where He reveals His divine authority in the turning over of tables. He is angry that His Father’s house has been turned from a place of worship into a place of consumer transactions. We, too, so easily turn from worshipping our Creator into worshipping what we ourselves create, but God’s divine authority will always reign.  “You shall have no other gods before me,” God says to His people in Exodus 20:3. What takes the place of God in your life?

Jesus’ glory and authority are revealed in Scripture in the turning of turning water to wine and hate to love, war to peace and cruelty to kindness. Only our Savior can turn over the tables of evil to uncover the promise of the Gospel—a Gospel that brings gentleness from hardness, patience from frustration, self-control from instability.

He miraculously takes our sinful human nature and turns us to Christ-likeness. All praise and glory to HIM.

SRT-John_instagram_day2

213 thoughts on "His Glory is Revealed"

1. Bobbi says:

Today I have prayed for my husbands heart to be softened by Christ. For him to hear God speak through me, for it to be ONLY God he sees and hears. That my words would not be my own. Now waiting and trusting that God WILL intervene and touch his life in a mighty and power for way!!!

1. Rebecca says:

Christ can do all things! Keep praying and don’t lose heart if it doesn’t happen in your timing. Our God is a God who works behind the scenes not just in the big picture! Praying for you and your husband Bobbi x

2. Emily says:

“Jesus works behind the scenes.” Boy, did that ever speak to me! I’m pretty new in finding my faith, after 20 years without any form of religion in my life. Sometimes, it’s hard for me to remember that Jesus is always with me because for so long I was surrounded by people who didn’t believe (which is okay! To each his own!) and weren’t thinking about how God was working in their lives.

In theory, I know that He is always there and by my side and knows my heart. But sometimes it’s difficult for me to see that. This reminder that sometimes we’re not going to see the ways Jesus works through us is one that I most definitely needed this morning.

And how has Jesus revealed His divine glory to me? By bringing me to a community that allowed me to explore my faith and encouraged my curiosity. It brought me to Him and I’ll continue working on my faith for the rest of my life.

3. Jennifer says:

Vs. 3-5 in John was a huge reveal to me. After just celebrating mother’s day it seems fitting too. My oldest young adult son is about to finish college, and he’s ready to step into his giftedness, and God given talents. The verses today showed that the mother of Jesus gently pushed him into his (not so small) giftedness of miracles. Mary knew He was ready even though he didn’t think he was. His mother believed in him! She was his encourager! She’s my example today, and I’m excited to tell my son that he’s ready and I believe in him!

4. Jordyn says:

All praise am glory to Him for turning the world upside down so we can only focus on Him

5. Brenda says:

The last part of this chapter caught my attention the most, Jesus didn’t trust the people cause he knew their hearts. I can relate…although, I can only see from the outside of a person but He sees it all.

6. brittney says:

learning a lot with these plans. love this app.

7. Juli Anna says:

Amen! Jesus meets us in our dirtiness and turns our ashes into beauty! Daily, He interrupts my life and reminds me Who He is, and who I am supposed to be.