The Bible In A Year 68

from the The Bible In A Year reading plan

Leviticus 8-10, Matthew 22

50 thoughts on "The Bible In A Year 68"

1. AnnieB says:

I agree this is hard reading, but I try to remember that the culture was so different then. These animals were a big part of the life of the Hebrews. Most of us can’t relate unless maybe we farm. But raising animals involved daily work, daily effort, also represented personal financial wealth or stability, provided real food to the family. I suppose a person could get wrapped up in their success at producing these living beings. Maybe the blood is a reminder that God is the only true creator of life. Bringing the first and the best really was a sacrifice, with a sense of loss, requiring real humility and tangible obedience. The practice also confirms trust in God to provide. Reading this makes me wonder if we haven’t taken Jesus for granted. His love for us and his sacrifice has cleaned up all this daily and seasonal messy life that isn’t required any more. Maybe he’s made it a little too easy. In our ease we forget just how much we could use our daily efforts to create a pleasing offering to him… and once in awhile demonstrate true obedience to his commands. That’s something i will think about as I continue to read.

1. Anto says:

Thanks so much for sharing your words of wisdom. They helped and encouraged me to keep reading through.

2. Jenny says:

Great perspective! Thank you!

2. Rachael says:

Super!

3. Kylee says:

I love the way Jesus silences the nay-sayers. His answers are so graceful and laced with truth, who could argue? Another way I want to be more like Him, in those times when I’m questioned by unbelieving members of my family, to give Jesus-like answers instead of my go-to response of emotional persuasion.

4. Chelsea says:

I’m struck with how much effort the Israelites had to go through in order to meet with God. A consecrated body, special garments, 6 offerings, and a lengthy (and bloody!) presentation process.
    How amazing it is to live under the grace and forgiveness of Jesus! To be able to come before the Lord with boldness, knowing that I am accepted and loved always, that I carry His Spirit within me. What a beautiful thing.

5. Adrienne says:

I agree this is a tough read- especially the tedious repetition. However, if I’ve gleaned anything from Leviticus so far, it’s the one thing that sets Christianity apart from all other religions: grace. In the OT which we’ve been reading, look at how difficult it was just to stay on God’s good side, let alone what one had to do if/when he sinned. Raise animals, find pure ones, prepare them, sacrifice, repent, repeat. Wow. It was a lot to DO just to have God with them and bless them. BUT… Jesus came and changed all that- phew! Now having a relationship with God is simple as accepting the free gift of grace. Not do this or do that- but DONE- done by Jesus on the cross. Thank God!!

6. Amanda says:

Love the repetition of ‘as the LORD commanded Moses’ – Moses’ obedience as prophet and priest is incredible. Then I loved the result of their obedience: Fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.! And this is the glory of the Holy Spirit we personally enjoy! Overwhelmed and amazed at God’s grace.