The Bible In A Year 201

from the The Bible In A Year reading plan

2 Kings 1-3, Colossians 4

40 thoughts on "The Bible In A Year 201"

1. Bethany says:

My first day…have always struggled with daily devotion, so I was excited when I saw this plan.
    My 6 year old is my early riser and this morning he asked me to read my devotion out loud. Uh…had I know I’d be reading about kids being torn apart by bears I might have reconsidered……lol. Blessings to you all! Keep going!

1. Michele says:

Blessing to you too, Bethany!

2. 27 Then he took his oldest son who was to reign in his place and offered him for a burnt offering on the wall.

I thought this was crazy!! Okay, your doing bad at war, that doesn’t mean go kill your son! I looked into this more, and it was very common of the age to do this to please “the gods”

3. Oge says:

Continue in prayer

4. Julia says:

2 He did what was evil in the sight of the Lord, though not like his father and mother, for he put away the pillar of Baal that his father had made.
    Why di they keep doing what is evil!!!? So many of them…

1. Alison says:

This is something that I often find myself frustrated by as well. When we read through the history of Israel and Judah, it’s easy to wonder how in the world the Kings could continue to rebel when it obviously doesn’t work for them! But then I think about myself, and how often I choose what I know is not pleasing to God, because I am more concerned with myself. Or how, when God is calling me to do something, I may do it…but half heartedly. Or do part of it, but not all of it. It’s the same with the kings. They are human, flawed, and in desperate need of God’s grace. This king got rid of the pillar, but his heart was still bent towards evil, not submitting to the one true God. And just like us, sometimes the Kings sought the Lord and were blessed by it, and others sought foreign gods and suffered for it. God is just. He will not be second to anything, and he will not allow those who repeatedly go against His word to prosper from it. I have to remember that it’s important to read through the OT with a NT lens-people are broken and separate from God, prone to do evil, yet Christ has come to bridge that gap and offer us the grace we don’t deserve so that we may know him.

1. Carrie says:

Amen :)

5. Kaily says:

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.
    Anyone else find this weird/random?

1. HensleyDavis says:

It is very strange -our church recently went through kings and shed some light on this passage. It says “boys” but our pastor said it would be more like teenagers ( old enough to marry and old enough to fight in wars) and that they “came out of the town” so Elisha would have been traveling ‘around the town’ on a main road and was obviously very well
      Known in the area, and these teens came out of the city, found him on the road and started provoking him, taunting him . They knew who he was and they didn’t like him or his message…
      It still seems extreme but in that context its at least a little easy to swallow that some thugs were bullying Elisha and he felt with it , as opposed to thinking it was some kindergarteners on the play ground just making fun of a bald old man…

2. Amanda B says:

I thought this was pretty harsh too, but my Bible helped clarify it a little. God has a zero tolerance policy for those who make fun of or discourage His messengers. They shouldn’t be mocked, they should be respected and met with encouragement. So God made an example out of these boys for others not to shoot the messenger!

3. Hesaved83 says:

Kaily,

Your comment reminds me of the Scriptures about respecting our leaders & God’s vengeance in 1 Chronicles 16:22/Psalms 105:15 & Romans 12:19, Romans 13, Hebrews 10:30…