The Bible In A Year 146

from the The Bible In A Year reading plan

1 Samuel 30-31, 2 Corinthians 10

28 thoughts on "The Bible In A Year 146"

1. Hesaved83 says:

& 1 Sam 30 & 31 not 2 Sam

2. Hesaved83 says:

Typo Sorry I meant war against, not war again…

3. Hesaved83 says:

2 Sam 30, 31 & 2 Cor 10 correlate because they illustrate Spiritual warfare and how we as believers are suppose to but on our armor (Eph 6:10-18) and go about our Father’s biz! The taken of the wives rep hope & taken the daughters rep the future…May we all seek The Lord before we make decisions: The Amalekites (enemy attack that is a warring spirit of robbery; present & future, destinies, families, ministries, hope, etc…which attacks from behind (brings up our past/condemnation that’s not from God but satan…attacks when we’re weak/facing situations (low finances, wayward children, sick , worried, etc). Amalekites are a result of Saul not being obedient to God through the prophet Samuel and killing them in the back chapters. We must war again the enemy through Holy Spirit until God says quit (like Jacob/Israel said I won’t let go until You bless me. (Gen 32:22-31)

Also back in Chapter 27 David did his own thing without praying first…then in the verses below he finally prayed and received wisdom from God & received his breakthrough, his restoration as Joel 2:25 says…

“7 And David said to Abiathar the priest, Ahimelech’s son, I pray thee, bring me hither the ephod. And Abiathar brought thither the ephod to David. 8 And David enquired at the LORD, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And he answered him, Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.”

4. Gabrielle says:

Wow David’s story is so amazing so far! He is so strong in his faith in God. I pray for strength and confidence in my abilities that are from God. That I may boast in all that God is doing in my life.

5. Leah Swindon says:

In 1 Sam 30:22, This section reminds me so much of the parable of the workers who didn’t work the same amount of time but received the same reward. The workers who worked all day didn’t want the ones who started at the last bit to receive the same pay, and yet their master thought beyond that. We see the same “people logic here..” Why should others have reward if they didn’t go into battle? I pray God keeps my heart fixed on Him, not what others might or might not receive , based on my limited judgement.
    1 Sam 30:22 But all the evil men and troublemakers among David’s followers said, “Because they did not go out with us, we will not share with them the plunder we recovered. However, each man may take his wife and children and go.”

23 David replied, “No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the Lord has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us.

1. Christina D. says:

Leah I need to stamp this on my heart. I sympathize with the soldiers here and the workers in the NT with my knee jerk response being, “but that’s not fair!” What a small perspective I have indeed and one with great judgment. Echoing your prayer that I will keep my eyes fixed on God only.

1. Heidi L says:

Same here Christina. I’m all about “fair” until I am clear in thought and remember how gracious God is to me each day, each hour, heck each minute- that He would continue to save and forgive and love a sinner like me. Sometimes I feel like Paul in Romans 7:24-25

2. Jo Lal says:

Love this comparison! I was thinking about that part of the story too and how it was unfair that those who didn’t go into battle received rewards too. My husband pointed out that these men are a team (just like Christians are) so we need share joy and rewards because that’s what teams do. Just like on a sports team… When the team wins, even the crappiest player earns victory!

1. Tarnz says:

I just thought about how the victory was never theirs from the beginning it was God who gave it to them, the blessing so why would you not share… Gods mercy grace and goodness is open for all to receive let us not grow too proud that we forget who gave us what we have, and become stingy in blessing. In my culture we have a saying ‘Tatou, tatou’ which basically means what is yours is mine and mine yours – we are one and all is ours together.

If no one stayed with the supplies and they were taken, how much more evil would their response have been esp. if they had considered stoning God’s anointed one when he had lost just as much as them and was fighting with them?

I love how as a reminder we may seem to lose even when it looks like we have been robbed doing what is good right and pleasing before God, but when we push through and seek him in our brokenness he will direct and deliver with a blessing greater, that will bless many more… Look who else David shared with as a result!

1. AnnieB says:

❤❤

6. Heather says:

My version read : but David strengthened himself in the Lord.
    It seems like it was a conscious decision to not let the circumstances overwhelm him, and find his strength in the Lord.
    Love it! And I need to remember and do the same!

1. Becky says:

One time my pastor preached about this phrase. He pointed out a few chapters back that Jonathan strengthened David in the Lord. But then in this story David strengthened himself in the Lord. He was pointing out David’s spiritual growth. First, he had a friend that encouraged him and then he grew in his ability to do it for himself. I’ve thought about that many times over the years.

1. Justine Fern Jacobsen says:

Becky! that sounds like an awesome sermon! I love that the Lord can use our friends to help grow us up in HIM!

7. Grace says:

1 Samuel 30:6 ‘but David found his strength in the Lord’. I love this verse because I kind of didn’t see it coming- there was great distress, the people would have been soooo mad and maybe even David was on his way to great anger but then the peace of God comes and then strength and everything that was taken from them was restored.

1. Amy says:

I loved this verse too!

2. Christina D. says:

I felt the same way Grace. It was the spark of hope and trust in a difficult time.

3. rachel says:

me too! it’s a great reminder for us

8. Shirl says:

17 “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” So often we think being boastful is a sin, but the Lord asks us to speak of with excessive pride or call attention to our Lord. I pray that Ivan be bold about our Lord Jesus and the grace and love He gives