The Angels Proclaim the Birth of Christ

Luke 2:8-14, Hebrews 1:3

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Luke 2:8-14, Hebrews 1:3

This is the best part of the story! The celebration, the exaltation of Jesus, the telling of His Coming. It’s all twinkle and joy and beholding; it’s a covenant kept and hope fulfilled.

This is a triumphant moment. It’s the scene of the Christmas play all the kids want a part in. The angels are announcing that time has indeed been torn in two—one time before the Hope of the World was born and everything after. An angel comes to a group of men who are tending their sheep and tells them, “Behold! I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.”

Then, suddenly appearing with that angel is a whole skyful of heavenly host, praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”

Finally, the baby king is born. Finally, true Hope has come, and it is for us all.

God has sent His Son down to earth, made like us but still wholly God. A baby Savior! We all know the great joy and amazement that comes with the birth of a baby. Cheers! A huge sigh of relief and overflowing love! But, imagine the ruckus and praise from Heaven when the baby Jesus made it safely into the world, God tangibly with us—Emmanuel.

I have goosebumps thinking about it. This is the moment in history when the angels and the whole company of heaven get to welcome this tiny miracle they’ve been anticipating for ages. It is the fulfillment of a generations-old promise, one stretching from the fall of Adam, foretold through so many prophets, and finally coming to fruition there in tiny Bethlehem.

Hebrews has this beautiful gem of Scripture that just puts the majesty of Christ into words. It says,

“He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.” – Hebrews 1:3

The radiance of the glory of God. The exact imprint of his nature. Upholds the entire universe by just the word of his power. This is the baby king the angel is announcing. This is the glory of that evening. He is the One the shepherds were seeking, and the One we’re all seeking today.

Glory be to God that Jesus was born so that we might find Him— the perfect imprint of God’s nature, the Savior for all people.

SRT-Advent_instagram_day25

For an added layer of worship during this sweet season of adoration and expectation, we’ve created a Spotify playlist for Advent 2014! You can find the complete SheReadsTruth | O Come Let Us Adore Him playlist at this link, or listen to today’s track on the player below. Enjoy!

41 thoughts on "The Angels Proclaim the Birth of Christ"

1. Ko says:

Oh how He loves us!!!

2. Beckey says:

All praise, glory, and honor be His! Today will be a busy, possibly stressful one, here. What a comfort and encouragement to start it off reading God’s joy – filled Word! Merry Christmas everyone!

Beckey
    http://reallyreallyrealhousewives.blogspot.com http://www.etsy.com/shop/queenbsbusywork0

1. Stefanie says:

So with you, Beckey. I’m nervous about my heart today, scared of being stressed while preparing for a multitude of in-laws over tonight, and it was so nice to begin the day in this study! I’ll pray for you when I think of it today!

1. Carmen says:

Praying for peace and calmness Stefanie! Oh and loads of laughter!

3. Stefanie says:

How amazing that this multitude of Heavenly host appeared to Shepherds. Such a humble profession, probably tired guys, dirty, possibly hungry, but the only ones whose hearts were prepared for the angel’s announcement. The Angels could have appeared to anyone, Herod, the Scribes or Pharisees, Preists. But they chose Shepherds. Oh that my heart is like the Shepherds’! May I be prepared at any time for the coming of my Lord. I know this is going back to yesterday but may I always have room for him.

1. April says:

Stefanie, this is what struck me too! I haven't understood the significance of the angels appearing to the shepherds before this Advent season – and to think, it wasn't just one but a whole host of angels!! And, I think I'm correct in thinking the shepherds were the first to see Him, these "lowest of the low" we're the first to see the radiance of God's glory, the exact representation of his being, who would sustain all things by his powerful word – after providing purification for our sins. Then he would sit down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. Heavenly Father, I echo Stefanie's prayer, "May my heart be like the Shepherds, may I be prepared at any time, and may I always make room for You."

4. Candacejo says:

So wonderful to begin such a busy day with my SRT sisters and the Word of God!

Hope was born that day and it continues to live inside each of us if we invite Him in. If we make Him ROOM. I pray I have room for the Savior of the world today and tomorrow as we celebrate His birth, His coming.

I pray I continue to make room for Him in the days to come as we anticipate His return!! I want Him to be FIRST. And yet I know that is not always the case. I keep striving. I keep pushing toward that mark.

Praying you all will have a blessed Christmas with your family and friends. Blessed to study with you each day. Merry Christmas! ♥

5. Kelly_Smith says:

Light has come into darkness! Majestic angels sing to lowly shepherds. The radiance of the glory of God lay sleeping in a wooden feeding trough. This is how He loved us, how He loves us still. He stoops low to wash our feet while still maintaining his royalty and holiness. Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests!

6. Jodi says:

Beautiful. At a time where I’m struggling so hard to trust this brings a new found hope.

1. bringbackhisgirls says:

Praying for you Jodi! You are so loved!

–AnnaLee

7. I'm not sure I've ever read Hebrews 1:3 before, but my oh my, how powerful it is! I'm praying for that to sink in all day today – "He is the exact imprint of God's nature". Thanks for sharing, Haley!